Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

misery at Vancouver housing cost?

misery at Vancouver housing cost?

Old Mar 6th 2016, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?

Disability is a provincial level assistance and such those on disability are tied to that province.

Yes, we have checked the other provinces and none offer the same level of assistance as BC.

We do not have the health or earning power to make up for the loss of disability and medical assistance.

Not ro mention you make it sound as if one can just pack up and move, well that requires a great deal of money and isnt exactly a viable option.

You also seem to not have any idea of the red tape involved when it comes to disability, could take months or well over a year in a new province to get a decision and that new province may not approve so what then?

It seems to me you havent a clue what its like to not have the earning power due to a medical issue and being reliant on the govt for part of your income and medical assistance.

Its unfortuante disability and healthcare is provincial as this does keep people hostage in a way to that province.

I also dont live in Vancouver. I have to live in a crummy city because we cannot afford a decent city.

Winnipeg offers nothing to us. Costs would just go up due to decrease in income, increase in medical costs and high risk as we have health issies that could require extended time off or a complete loss of employment with no back up or very limited back up.

Using Manitoba as an example disability is less per month, and they also do not allow you to have more then 4,000 in savings so impossible to buy a house since you would never have the down payment. No savings for the future for 65 when disability assistance stops and you need savings to live off to supplement CPP.

BC allows disabled 200,000 exemption for savings.

Manitoba is better then say New Brunswick but still behind BC.

Moving to another province is from the start beyond our and many others financial means and well no employer is going to assist in moving costs for unskilled labor.

Moving isnt always an option as you seem to think.

Also take into mind the increase in heating costs in a place like Winnipeg.

Can I heat a place there for 5 dollars a month avg?

Average rent in Winnipeg is 813 month about the same as we currently live. Really is no savings there rent wise and I am sure heating costs in winter and cooling costs in summer are quite a lot higher as well.

Using the auto rate calculator for MB looks like we would likely pay about 50 more per month for car insurance using several postal codes.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Im sorry I will have to disagree with you and yes Im aware of your problems dealing with mental health issues.

1. Although foreign money is inflating prices in Vancouver it does not affect the rest of Canada. If you choose to stay in Vancouver then yes its a problem.

2. I could have bought that house but I live in another part of Canada so are you suggesting that I shouldn't be allowed?

3. For arguments sake you see a job advertised in Manitoba and you get it. Have you checked out what services are available to you? If you receive the same level or even greater levels of treatment then one could say you are ahead of the game. Affordability of houses in Winnipeg is definitely an advantage over Vancouver. Im suspecting vehicle insurance rates are as well and the general cost of living is the same if not lower in Winnipeg than Vancouver so its win win.
If you decided you don't want to live in Winnipeg then that is your choice but the option is there you are choosing not to move and its not that you can't.

4. Im aware of housing prices in other parts of BC and some of this is fall out from the Vancouver situation.

You sometimes make it sound like you are being held hostage in BC but you are not. There are options available for you to look at but you are choosing not to.
I choose not to live or want to move to Vancouver for one reason and only one reason and that is affordability of housing.

So apart from not wanting to live in Winnipeg have you checked into seeing if you would be better off? I would be in total agreement with you if services were not available but if they were then that is an option to look at and the same with any other Province.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 6th 2016 at 6:58 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have tried other places in Canada in Alberta and Ontario and well rents in both places were not much lower if at all lower than what we pay now.

Why move to just pay the same amout in rent and lose income at the same time?

If on the odd chance a Manitoba employer even considered a BC applicant for an unskilled job there is no way to attend an interview.

For unskilled low wage jobs employers have no reason to consider a non local applicant and even if they do wont generally do just a phone or skype interview.

Unskilled labor doesnt have the same mobility and options as skilled labor.

There is also as said the inability to pay for a long distance move, combined income between disability, my income from working and wifes income from working we only made a combined 28k last year of which 11,000 approx went to rent alone.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 6th 2016 at 7:28 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

Not even sure we could own a home in Winnipeg on our income level.

Using a couple mortgage affordability calculators seems to indicate we cant but I dunno for sure. Just using the affordability calculator on MLS site says we could afford 73k mortgage but lowest priced house on the MLS is 84k.

We dont have anything against Winnipeg, I just dont see an improvement living there as rent average is basically the same as Chilliwack, its actually a bit lower in Chilliwack according to the CMHC data.

Income reduction + higher average rent = no better off.

At low income level it really doesnt matter where you live as you really cant afford life in general.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 6th 2016 at 10:24 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 11:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We do not have the health or earning power to make up for the loss of disability and medical assistance.
Obviously you know your situation better than anyone and you've always demonstrated your research abilities very well. So this is not directed to you, just for others similarly disadvantaged who may have to consider this sort of thing.

I just want to reiterate that it may not be necessary to have the earning power to make up a loss in income if an income loss may be made up for by a significant reduction in housing costs or some other expense.

From your description of surroundings and amenities of where you've lived over the last few years and your housing costs there are probably numerous places in at least 5 provinces offering more (scenery excepted), where rents could be considerably less and the expenses in running a car might be saved.

Your particular medical needs are doubtless served better by staying put but there may be others with different medical needs - or none at all but for whom better paid employment isn't an option - who might save around $500 a month with such a move. That's $6000 a year net.

I dunno...maybe someone might have some kind of physiotherapy/massage treatment, foot care, whatever or some kind of drug regime that's funded where they are now but they still struggle financially.

They might have to fund that treatment in a different province, but they may have a few hundred $$ available to pay for it if their rent was halved, for example.

Just thinking in reverse....let's say I lived in a small city in Ontario - Kingston, perhaps (where they are more enlightened than NB) - on my current income level.

I believe I'd qualify for enough diabetic testing strips to meet my current testing/shooting regime.

But let's say I struggled to pay my rent of $750 a month (going by kijiji).

If I was looking to move to my current city, I'd have to pay the full cost of testing strips which would be over $100 a month.

But I know of a super nice one bedroom apartment in a duplex centrally placed, with it's own private deck, on bus routes just around the corner from a very nice park for $200 less. If I didn't mind a nice place in a small purpose built building - 4 or 6 unit say - I could save around $400 when lower heating costs were taken into account.

Using Manitoba as an example disability is less per month, and they also do not allow you to have more then 4,000 in savings so impossible to buy a house since you would never have the down payment.
Nor would you have much for unexpected expenses.

It's a great example of the variation in what people probably take for granted.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 4:36 am
Account Closed

We have to take into account family as well. Your likely aware of the high cost to fly around Canada, and from Canada and with all our family on the west coast of the continent we do have to take that into consideration.

Righ now worst case scenario, I am only a 24 hour drive away from family if driving and we are 2 hours from my wifes mom who has had health issues in the past such as a brain bleed.

Imagine if we were on the east coast and no abiity to get back quickly.

There ade a lot of reasons why people cant move and those (not you) who simply say move usually have a high paying job with easy mobility and simply do not understand why people stay where they are and cant move.

Granted BC has issues when it comes to disability program and some changes have been bad (removal of transportation and bus pass subsidy for example.) but some changes have been food for example allowing disabled to save and exempt 200,000 in cash savings for a couple.

Now not sure if ON still does this but when I was there they had some sort of co pay in place for those on assistance or disability and from what I can tell their disability supports are not very good.

BC for example covers 100% of most medications for the disabled and waives the monthly health premiums.

Its also impossible to apply for something like disability in another province in advance so moving means potentially not being approved in the new province and means being on general assistance until a decision is made.

Having disabled status in one province does not guarantee approcal in another.

Not to mention the difficulty in getting a doctor in the new province who can fill out the required forms, may simply be no Doctors accepting patients.

Now if we could earn 35k to 40k each in a mew province in a decent job, that would be different but well we dont have the ability to earn that much especially since my wife cant work full time long term and frankly I am basically not even employable at this point let alone employable at 35 or 40k a year.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Obviously you know your situation better than anyone and you've always demonstrated your research abilities very well. So this is not directed to you, just for others similarly disadvantaged who may have to consider this sort of thing.

I just want to reiterate that it may not be necessary to have the earning power to make up a loss in income if an income loss may be made up for by a significant reduction in housing costs or some other expense.

From your description of surroundings and amenities of where you've lived over the last few years and your housing costs there are probably numerous places in at least 5 provinces offering more (scenery excepted), where rents could be considerably less and the expenses in running a car might be saved.

Your particular medical needs are doubtless served better by staying put but there may be others with different medical needs - or none at all but for whom better paid employment isn't an option - who might save around $500 a month with such a move. That's $6000 a year net.

I dunno...maybe someone might have some kind of physiotherapy/massage treatment, foot care, whatever or some kind of drug regime that's funded where they are now but they still struggle financially.

They might have to fund that treatment in a different province, but they may have a few hundred $$ available to pay for it if their rent was halved, for example.

Just thinking in reverse....let's say I lived in a small city in Ontario - Kingston, perhaps (where they are more enlightened than NB) - on my current income level.

I believe I'd qualify for enough diabetic testing strips to meet my current testing/shooting regime.

But let's say I struggled to pay my rent of $750 a month (going by kijiji).

If I was looking to move to my current city, I'd have to pay the full cost of testing strips which would be over $100 a month.

But I know of a super nice one bedroom apartment in a duplex centrally placed, with it's own private deck, on bus routes just around the corner from a very nice park for $200 less. If I didn't mind a nice place in a small purpose built building - 4 or 6 unit say - I could save around $400 when lower heating costs were taken into account.

Nor would you have much for unexpected expenses.

It's a great example of the variation in what people probably take for granted.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 2:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We have to take into account family as well. Your likely aware of the high cost to fly around Canada, and from Canada and with all our family on the west coast of the continent we do have to take that into consideration.
Yes...in fact when I started the post I was going to mention that but forgot. But then that probably happened as I was trying to make it general rather than for your situation.
Now not sure if ON still does this but when I was there they had some sort of co pay in place for those on assistance or disability and from what I can tell their disability supports are not very good.
Because of the way my wife's health went back around 2008 we looked at other provinces. At that time, NB had nothing at all for its citizens unless they were at rock bottom financially (it's different now) whereas every other province (except PEI) had systems in place that kept people from going under.

We looked at what other provinces did and everywhere our medical costs would have been a fraction of here.

Ontario does have disability support but even if you don't qualify for that co-payments are still heavily subsidised and limited to something like 5% of income. And if memory serves, that's net not gross.

So if you're on full time minimum wage taking home about $1800 monthly, your prescription costs are pegged to a maximum of around $80 a month.

See, that's pretty good and you don't have to qualify for disability support to be eligible.

Until the new system came in a couple of years ago, NB would have said "you need $1000 for rent, food and everything else and you have $1800 a month wages so you can afford meds up to $800." Oh...and any money in the bank was added to your $1800 for the month.

Anyway, Ontario does have a good system for prescription co-pays.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

One thing govts have unrealistic expectations with is cost of living.

BC still thinks one can rent housing dor 375 if single or 570 as a couple which is basically impossible.

One other isssue that comes to mind that FL and others likely dont think of.

Small towns are indeed cheaper however most on disability have specialized medical issues and small towns wont have the services so people need to live near Vancouver where the bulk of the medical care is.

Heck even in a town of 80k, my wife still has to go to Vancouver as there is no services available in this region.

Disability is also income related. Because neither of us can work long term and end up hospitalized or off work dor extended periods of time without being on disability assistance we would end up on the street when we end up out of work again and ita not if but when as she can have a manic break with little notice and well myself with borderline I am so emotionally up and down few if any jobs will last long term and so far no job has.

Unfortunantly some here just dont understand no matter how much I try to explain it to them.

We cant move to some isolated BC town, the mental health care wont be available nor will the specialist she sees for another issue of which there are only apparently 3 in Canada. The doc she she sees in Vancouver sees patients from AB and SK as well as they have none available.

I beleive Toronto is where the other specialists are.

As I said, if I had a job offer paying 40k a year and willing to help with relocation hell We would probably consider moving, but that isnt going to happen for 2 unskilled workers with grade 12 education and no indemand skillals of any sort.

And yes retraining is somethin I want but thus far it seems all the programs require one to be on EI or have been on EI in the last x amount of time. Neither of which apply. EI is not an option.

BC does offers limited retraining for disabled but ou have to be single and have a child so that doesnt help.

Income is too low for private banks to do a loan.

Govt loans are not an option.

The coures are all short term 6 to 12 months but tuition ranges 6k to 18k depending on program and school.

Clearly 2 people who made 28k last year combined all sources cant afford that out of pocket.

Too many have this mindset of I did this or that but dont take into consideration that nobody has the same circumstances which really change things for people.

Sorry Bristol, I am just so frustrated it really affects my mental health and ability to function well. I hate renting with a passion and instability and well apartments and condos are bad for mental health since there is no yard to relax in, no privacy, no stabaility etc many of the things that affect mental health in a negative way.

Its a losing battle trying to explain things.

I cant treat this illness and faulty brain 100% on my own anymore then I could treat a heart issue and related illness. One difference though is heart issue patient can more readily receive treatment without large out of pocket costs where the medical system will not even cover the treatment I need which means having to put it off time after time due to no ability to pay.

Yes...in fact when I started the post I was going to mention that but forgot. But then that probably happened as I was trying to make it general rather than for your situation.

Because of the way my wife's health went back around 2008 we looked at other provinces. At that time, NB had nothing at all for its citizens unless they were at rock bottom financially (it's different now) whereas every other province (except PEI) had systems in place that kept people from going under.

We looked at what other provinces did and everywhere our medical costs would have been a fraction of here.

Ontario does have disability support but even if you don't qualify for that co-payments are still heavily subsidised and limited to something like 5% of income. And if memory serves, that's net not gross.

So if you're on full time minimum wage taking home about $1800 monthly, your prescription costs are pegged to a maximum of around $80 a month.

See, that's pretty good and you don't have to qualify for disability support to be eligible.

Until the new system came in a couple of years ago, NB would have said "you need $1000 for rent, food and everything else and you have $1800 a month wages so you can afford meds up to $800." Oh...and any money in the bank was added to your $1800 for the month.

Anyway, Ontario does have a good system for prescription co-pays.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 7th 2016 at 6:56 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My comments were not to seem harsh or a lack of understanding. In previous posts you have mentioned moving but would not consider Manitoba as you didn't want to live there. I used Manitoba as an example. Obviously you have done your research on this and have realized that moving from BC would not be beneficial.
Yes it costs money to move but sometimes where there is a will theres a way providing the move led to a better quality of life.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

Seems the hot real estate market has followed us.

Chilliwack saw the busiest February on record when it came to home sales.

Up 42% from last year.

Uhaul has seen a 26% increase in one way rentals to Chilliwack from last year.

38% of sales were for homes under 300k but they didnt break down if those were condos or houses.

Sales in Feb were worth 98 million a 54% increase over last Feb.

http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/news/371596031.html?mobile=true
Old Mar 11th 2016, 1:49 am
Oscar nominated

Seems the hot real estate market has followed us.

Chilliwack
I saw something the other day about property taxes being lower in your neck of the woods than the surrounding parts.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 3:37 am
Account Closed

Sounds about right from what I have read and heard.

Last affordable city still within a commute to Vancouver.

I saw something the other day about property taxes being lower in your neck of the woods than the surrounding parts.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 4:37 am
Account Closed

1 million will get you this burnt but needs to be torn down house on a sweet corner lot.

In the first 2 months of 2016 avg hoke values in BC went up 24% with an avg price of 769,400.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/9463954?

Hopefully link works. On the phone and sometimes links are tricky.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

1 million will get you this burnt but needs to be torn down house on a sweet corner lot.

In the first 2 months of 2016 avg hoke values in BC went up 24% with an avg price of 769,400.

Fire-Damaged Vancouver Home Hits The Market For Nearly $2 Million

Hopefully link works. On the phone and sometimes links are tricky.
You could also buy one of these

Westside Vancouver Bed Residences. CAMBRIA PARK by MOSAIC Avenue Realty Ltd

Though they do have nicer fixtures in the bathroom. But still 1 mill for a 1089 sf 2br apartment on cambie and 54th street is nuts.

email i got back i got back about prices.

Thanks for your email.
We just had our Grand Opening today, and we've been receiving extremely good feedbacks from our buyers!
The 2BR homes available now are the J, I , and B1 Plans of over 1,000 s.f., priced around $1 -1.05M
Two 3 BR homes (M Plan, approx. 1,700s.f.) are also available, they are approx. $1.7-1.73M
Our Floor Plans are available online at Mosaichome.com - Ready For Development
Please feel free to contact us if you have interest or other questions.
Our Presentation Centre is open daily from noon to 6:00pm, and we are located at 5710 Cambie Street (corner of W41st).
We look forward to meeting you soon!

Last edited by MrHyperPants; Mar 20th 2016 at 6:26 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

If those were affordable, I wouldnt mind living in one. I like them. Quite nice.

Originally Posted by MrHyperPants
You could also buy one of these

Westside Vancouver Bed Residences. CAMBRIA PARK by MOSAIC Avenue Realty Ltd

Though they do have nicer fixtures in the bathroom. But still 1 mill for a 1089 sf 2br apartment on cambie and 54th street is nuts.

email i got back i got back about prices.

Thanks for your email.
We just had our Grand Opening today, and we've been receiving extremely good feedbacks from our buyers!
The 2BR homes available now are the J, I , and B1 Plans of over 1,000 s.f., priced around $1 -1.05M
Two 3 BR homes (M Plan, approx. 1,700s.f.) are also available, they are approx. $1.7-1.73M
Our Floor Plans are available online at Mosaichome.com - Ready For Development
Please feel free to contact us if you have interest or other questions.
Our Presentation Centre is open daily from noon to 6:00pm, and we are located at 5710 Cambie Street (corner of W41st).
We look forward to meeting you soon!
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Steven.Vu is an unknown quantity at this point

The topic reminds me of an article that I had read and reviewed from Zero Hedge on the topic of UK housing bubble... I think the closest resemblance to the housing issue in Vancouver is the UK. The two major cities do draw a very strong similarity in their housing price pressures from foreign investors, panicked locals trying to up-bid on their new home, etc...

It's a nice read:

Another Bubble Bursts: Ultra Luxury London Home Prices Tumble 12% | Zero Hedge

Last edited by Steven.Vu; Mar 22nd 2016 at 10:50 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.