Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

misery at Vancouver housing cost?

misery at Vancouver housing cost?

Old Nov 6th 2015, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

ColinB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?

I haven't read all of this thread but - it seems to me that most of us emigrated from the UK to avoid ridiculous house prices and overcrowding etc.....why on earth would you move to Vancouver where the same issues exist?
I'm in the boonies in the Cariboo region.....affordable property, fantastic summers, real wilderness, wildlife, scenery, loads of outdoor activities, neighbors are 10 minutes walk away. It's great.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ColinB
I haven't read all of this thread but - it seems to me that most of us emigrated from the UK to avoid ridiculous house prices and overcrowding etc.....why on earth would you move to Vancouver where the same issues exist?
I'm in the boonies in the Cariboo region.....affordable property, fantastic summers, real wilderness, wildlife, scenery, loads of outdoor activities, neighbors are 10 minutes walk away. It's great.
It's not just Vancouver, a good portion of the lower mainland is high priced now, including the not over crowded area's and surrounding small towns.

I am sure the boonies are great, but unless self employed hard to make a living in the boonies hence why it's generally cheaper, no work for the masses only a small % will be able to live there.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 11:36 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ColinB
Cool

I think the problem with Vancouver is that it the only decent sized city in Canada (jobs) where the climate is reasonable.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 12:04 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Cool

I think the problem with Vancouver is that it the only decent sized city in Canada (jobs) where the climate is reasonable.
It's a nice city. The only real problem it has is that a lot of the people that live there are insufferably smug about it.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It's a nice city. The only real problem it has is that a lot of the people that live there are insufferably smug about it.
Im pretty sure none of those would be British Expats
Old Nov 7th 2015, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's downright awful for people in their 20s living in Metro Vancouver. It's difficult to get a leg up. I'm sure other immigrants coming from less fortunate countries love their new Canadian lifestyle, but it's not really the same for somebody from a "Western" country to begin with.

Bah, I'm getting quite bitter about the housing situation at the moment, which is solely created by the fact that my wage is too low to get into the nicer areas/places. The difference between renting a dingy basement suite or a swanky hi-rise apartment is only an extra $200 a month in most cases. Which is all well and good, but when that's out of your reach in your employment industry, it's out of your reach. Doesn't help that my boyfriend works in the same industry too.

Lol, depressing myself, gonna stop typing now.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 12:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
I think it's downright awful for people in their 20s living in Metro Vancouver. It's difficult to get a leg up. I'm sure other immigrants coming from less fortunate countries love their new Canadian lifestyle, but it's not really the same for somebody from a "Western" country to begin with.

Bah, I'm getting quite bitter about the housing situation at the moment, which is solely created by the fact that my wage is too low to get into the nicer areas/places. The difference between renting a dingy basement suite or a swanky hi-rise apartment is only an extra $200 a month in most cases. Which is all well and good, but when that's out of your reach in your employment industry, it's out of your reach. Doesn't help that my boyfriend works in the same industry too.

Lol, depressing myself, gonna stop typing now.
The biggest reason I had with Vancouver, I did like living there, but living in a basement suite with other people isn't my idea of a good life, but an apartment of my own was out of the question on 12 per hour let alone one in a decent part of the city.

I worked downtown Vancouver, so living in the burbs made no sense because of poor transit late a night (I started at 11p) and Sunday's and Holidays when transit at 7am is piss poor.

If I made near 6 figures, or we made near 6 figures combined, I'd have no issue returning, but that is never going to happen.... But at 25-30k combined, it would be a miserable lifestyle because of the crap housing we would have to be in.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 1:12 am
Account Closed

90 minutes to sell out.

Condos sold out in 90 minutes
Old Nov 29th 2015, 1:53 am
Account Closed

More overpriced housing.

This town is on a roll at not building rental buildings, guess they wan't the poor folks out.

New townhome complex slated for Government Road
Old Nov 29th 2015, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

We had an open house today. Very average family home in Coquitlam. 72 different groups came through the doors in 2 hours. A very mixed demographic of viewers.
We do it again tomorrow. It will be interesting to see where the offers come from.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
More overpriced housing.

This town is on a roll at not building rental buildings, guess they wan't the poor folks out.

New townhome complex slated for Government Road
IMO, $400k for 1400 sq ft in Squamish is not overpriced.

I realised in the last while that a good few people I work with (in Vancouver) are moving to Squamish and the general area. These are people who could probably afford somewhere a bit closer to Vancouver but they are choosing to move to Squamish as a lifestyle choice and to get closer to the mountains. It's about an hour from Squamish to the office, and people seem to be willing to do that as a sacrifice for the weekends.

Vancitybuzz had an article recently

65-unit Squamish condo development sells out in 90 minutes

Most interesting lines for me

In addition to the improved transportation corridor, the recently opened Squamish Gondola has helped make Squamish more than just a pit stop on the way to Whistler – to the extent that the former log town is now perceived as a destination and has received international accolades. CNN Money named Squamish ‘The Best Mountain Town To Visit In 2014’ while the New York Times listed it as one of the best places to travel to this year.

Henson says the new interest with Squamish also has to do with lifestyle of being close to nature and adventure...It also has one of the youngest median ages in the entire province: the median age in Squamish is currently 37 years old and 63 per cent of the population is under the age of 40.

And it might be a surprise to some that most of the development’s buyers were local residents – not foreign buyers.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 7:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bc2015
IMO, $400k for 1400 sq ft in Squamish is not overpriced.

I realised in the last while that a good few people I work with (in Vancouver) are moving to Squamish and the general area. These are people who could probably afford somewhere a bit closer to Vancouver but they are choosing to move to Squamish as a lifestyle choice and to get closer to the mountains. It's about an hour from Squamish to the office, and people seem to be willing to do that as a sacrifice for the weekends.

Vancitybuzz had an article recently

65-unit Squamish condo development sells out in 90 minutes

Most interesting lines for me
Relative I suppose, but to us it's overpriced, but then our max price to buy is 135,000 which is more or less impossible to find in any decent city in BC with jobs.

They are using local way too loosely for those condos that sold in 90 mins, many were bought by 3 at a time by people in Surrey and other city's, hardly locals and clearly investor properties who will rent them out for high rent only high income people can afford.

Literally nothing to rent in this town now for under 1,100 a month.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 29th 2015 at 7:41 am.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 9:55 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
We had an open house today. Very average family home in Coquitlam. 72 different groups came through the doors in 2 hours. A very mixed demographic of viewers.
We do it again tomorrow. It will be interesting to see where the offers come from.
That's crazy !
Old Nov 29th 2015, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Renting is just as bad, nothing in this town in our range, we are literally one rent increase to the street.

2 bedroom 1 bath 1200sq Suite for Rent

2bd 1ba $1900

^^^^ Only pet friendly listed currently.

$1300
2 bedroom basement suite in Valleyciffe Squamish - $1300

$1600

2 bdrm apartment on top floor in downtown Squamish

1Br for Rent available

2bdrm above ground suite $1475

2bdrm above ground suite $1475

Type in our price range, and 0 rentals come up. (our range is under 725)

Buying wise this is the only thing listed in our price range

402 40900 TANTALUS ROAD, Squamish, British Columbia V8B0R3 - V1133388 | Realtor.ca

Unfortunately it's a hotel room and you can only use it 70 days per year.

This is the least costly condo on the market, its a 50 year old poorly maintained building, but some owners make the inside look nice.

93 38179 WESTWAY AVENUE, Squamish, British Columbia V0N3G0 - R2011199 | Realtor.ca

Still above our price.

This is what creates frustration for people when there is simply no housing left except for the upper income earners. Wages are not keeping up and people end up homeless.

Here are a few places we could possibly find a job, what are the chances at a job?

Trail 7,000 people, seems Teck is the only real employer.

Grand Forks 8,900 people

Ymir which doesn't seem to be anything anymore.

LiLooet nothing really there.

Texada Island

Hope

Chase

These are not exactly places we can find work. Trail has a boat load of houses for sale at the moment.

Gets really frustrating in the fast there is nearly nowhere that isn't some small town boonies in this province we can move to.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
That's crazy !
Today it was only 40!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.