Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

misery at Vancouver housing cost?

misery at Vancouver housing cost?

Old Jun 24th 2015, 3:06 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Most rentals require a lease, and while the amounts are smaller, breaking a lease can ruin your credit as well and even result in a lawsuit against you.

Pro's and con's to both. We are not professionals, so would not be moving, owning would give us stability that renting does not have and would allow us to have a better life that renting could never provide.
I think you over estimate what a house can do for you... It's just bricks and mortar and while I think it can be a good idea from a pension point of view, it won't make you happy... For me personally one of the happiest homes I ever lived in was a rental property and was a shoebox... I have owned a lovely 4 bed roomed house in the UK with beautiful sea views and was as miserable as sin there. It really is all about what makes it a home and for me that's family and friends not the house that they come to..

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
In your case I agree but as a general statement I disagree. How many from Newfoundland and other Maritime provinces have moved to Alberta, BC and now Saskatchewan to get better paying jobs. Some go as individuals and some take their families. I know of hundreds who live in Edmonton but actually work in Yellowknife and they do the 2 week fly in fly out and quite a few do the same between Fort Mac and the Maritimes.
Also throw in the people from Europe especially the UK who are thinking of moving to Vancouver. There are 26 other countries they could move to a lot easier than Canada. The vast majority of these people are not in your situation so thats why I disagree. How many are miserable with London UK house prices?
How many commute over 200 miles a day to work there quite a lot though the UK transportation system is far superior to that of Canada.
We didn't even consider the suburbs of Toronto for that reason.... The idea was to spend less on a house here and not have to wok so hard. Buying a house near a capital would seem like the least sensible plan in the world especially when we had the option to move anywhere. Add in that with a young family we were looking for a slightly less city feel anyway.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 3:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I think you over estimate what a house can do for you... It's just bricks and mortar and while I think it can be a good idea from a pension point of view, it won't make you happy... For me personally one of the happiest homes I ever lived in was a rental property and was a shoebox... I have owned a lovely 4 bed roomed house in the UK with beautiful sea views and was as miserable as sin there. It really is all about what makes it a home and for me that's family and friends not the house that they come to..

We didn't even consider the suburbs of Toronto for that reason.... The idea was to spend less on a house here and not have to wok so hard. Buying a house near a capital would seem like the least sensible plan in the world especially when we had the option to move anywhere. Add in that with a young family we were looking for a slightly less city feel anyway.
I just can't have what I want in a rental:

Yard for a pond.

A nice kitchen suitable for cooking with space.

The ability to have a garden, space for the dog to play.

Renting is a waste of money with nothing to show for it and has no stability, once rent hits a point we can't afford, off we have to go to a new rental, or if a landlord becomes a pain, have to move again, moving moving moving, always having to move when it comes to renting.

Hard to be happy when renting means giving up everything you dream of having.

Rentals in our price range are always crappy, old, outdated, and generally crap.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 1:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yard for a pond.
Renting is a waste of money with nothing to show for it and has no stability, once rent hits a point we can't afford
I can't offer a yard with a pond but there's a safe balcony for the upper floor and a deck for the lower one. Both kitchens are spacious and the park is a minute away on foot.

I'm sure there are exceptions and it likely varies place to place.

I had a young couple for a year - great tenants - who moved on once they had saved enough to buy their own house.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Yard for a pond.

Renting is a waste of money with nothing to show for it and has no stability, once rent hits a point we can't afford, off we have to go to a new rental, or if a landlord becomes a pain, have to move again, moving moving moving, always having to move when it comes to renting.

Hard to be happy when renting means giving up everything you dream of having.

Rentals in our price range are always crappy, old, outdated, and generally crap.

This is exactly why I have never wanted to rent & thankfully have never had to. I feel so sorry for people in your predicament, it must be really hard to save & get out of the renting trap once you are in it.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk

This is exactly why I have never wanted to rent & thankfully have never had to. I feel so sorry for people in your predicament, it must be really hard to save & get out of the renting trap once you are in it.
Rent eats up huge amount of our income, but we are in the least expensive building in town, and overall nothing in this town is any cheaper, we have a severe rental shortage right now, so bad there are bidding wars for rentals...

Owners who have rented their homes out for years are now selling, and the new owners are occupying and not renting, so each month less and less on the rental market and no plans for any developers to build any rentals, although they are building lots of new 350,000+ town homes and 500,000+ single family homes, but no condos and no rental housing.

We can't even save money as there is nothing to cut at this point to save money.

Tis life these days.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can't offer a yard with a pond but there's a safe balcony for the upper floor and a deck for the lower one. Both kitchens are spacious and the park is a minute away on foot.

I'm sure there are exceptions and it likely varies place to place.

I had a young couple for a year - great tenants - who moved on once they had saved enough to buy their own house.

There are some really nice condos and town homes I'd love to live in, and offer the amenities I would like, but they are well out of price range, 1,500+ a month, so have to settle for the basic, no amenity place we have now.

They are building some town houses down from us, and I love the floor plan and layout, but at 348,000 as the starting price, a bit out of our price range...lol
Old Jun 24th 2015, 4:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
This is about "minimum standards". It's true that at a certain point a house or an income level can't make you happy, but up to that point, not having the "minimum" will detract from happiness.

And this of course changes over time. It's why we're happy roughing it in crap hotels when we're students, but want some luxury when we're older. Ditto homes.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 4:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

One of ours pays less for a mortgage than rent would be. It is just getting the deposit together is harder for some.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 4:43 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

This is exactly why I have never wanted to rent & thankfully have never had to. I feel so sorry for people in your predicament, it must be really hard to save & get out of the renting trap once you are in it..
Why is renting generally seen as a bad thing?

Rent eats up huge amount of our income...
Owning would eat up much more.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 4:45 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
One of ours pays less for a mortgage than rent would be. It is just getting the deposit together is harder for some.
Does that calculation take into account other owning expenses plus lost opportunity costs of the down payment?
Old Jun 24th 2015, 6:07 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Does that calculation take into account other owning expenses plus lost opportunity costs of the down payment?
Yes, as well as some other costs and benefits.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 6:10 pm
Beep

Yes, as well as some other costs and benefits.
Then that's pretty impressive. They must have got a bargain.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 6:15 pm

Not necessarily. Owning you build equity and for many it could be paid off in 25 years if they don't keep moving up. After the mortgage is free and clear, just basic living costs and the value of the home is your own.

Renting is paying someone else's mortgage. In 25 years, they own the property and the renter keeps on paying. Over 25 years owners can be 10's of thousands ahead. My kid pays 30% less on mortgage than an equivalent for rent and has already seen a 20% increase in equity value.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

The main reason is what happens when you retire/can no longer work, general living costs are high enough without having to pay rent on top.

Obviously repairs & whatnot can rear their ugly heads now & then but in the grand scheme of things they really don't cost that much, & money you do spend usually adds to the value of the home.

Not necessarily. Owning you build equity and for many it could be paid off in 25 years if they don't keep moving up. After the mortgage is free and clear, just basic living costs and the value of the home is your own.

Renting is paying someone else's mortgage. In 25 years, they own the property and the renter keeps on paying. Over 25 years owners can be 10's of thousands ahead. My kid pays 30% less on mortgage than an equivalent for rent and has already seen a 20% increase in equity value.
Yep. We pay £500 a month for our repayment mortgage (on a flat just outside London) & rents on our place go for £950. Plus in the 5 years we have owned it the value has gone up £70k.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 10:34 pm

From a landlords perspective renting is really good if you get decent tenants. You get capital appreciation and income, if it is a good property, little outgoings.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

Yes, but if we owned that means our income is higher, we can't own at our current income level, but there are places in BC where you can buy a house and likely end up paying less per year then what we pay in rent alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.