Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Misconception on cost of living

Misconception on cost of living

Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:22 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of
Default Re: Misconception on cost of living

Originally Posted by dingbat
They are, except there are always sales on as the prices are inflated to give the impression that "30% off" this week is actually a bargain. The only two malls that come anywhere close to the UK ones are the Eaton Centre in TO and West Edmonton Mall (which is like the one up in Newcastle, bigger, but with the same selection of shops over and over). The Pacific Centre in downtown Vancouver is utter pants, in fact the shops are not impressive anyway, perhaps apart from Holt Renfrew.

There are some outlet places - however there is absolutely nothing like the outlet places you mentioned up your way. I used to go to the McArthur Glen Ashford Retail Centre (Kent) for all the good stuff for my kids and return to Canada with suitcases bursting at the seams!
Sounds like I will have to get onto McArthur and tell them what an opportunity they have in Canada to make it Big, I've got enough time to persuade them before I arrive.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:24 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

They are, except there are always sales on as the prices are inflated to give the impression that "30% off" this week is actually a bargain. The only two malls that come anywhere close to the UK ones are the Eaton Centre in TO and West Edmonton Mall (which is like the one up in Newcastle, bigger, but with the same selection of shops over and over). The Pacific Centre in downtown Vancouver is utter pants, in fact the shops are not impressive anyway, perhaps apart from Holt Renfrew.
I was under the impression that the fur-lined sandal Vancouverite massive was spending its retail-disposable down on Robson, and that it's a case of 'today I am mostly boutique-browsing" i.e that mall-ratting is mostly for the down at heel.

Rich.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:26 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rich_007
I was under the impression that the fur-lined sandal Vancouverite massive was spending its retail-disposable down on Robson, and that it's a case of 'today I am mostly boutique-browsing" i.e that mall-ratting is mostly for the down at heel.
Rich.
Is there a translator in the house
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
Sounds like I will have to get onto McArthur and tell them what an opportunity they have in Canada to make it Big, I've got enough time to persuade them before I arrive.
We go to the US for outlet shopping. And a lot of regular clothes shopping too. A recent example - I bought a plain white shirt in Eddie Bauer in the US the other week, 49 USD + 6.5% tax. I liked it and went to the local Eddie Bauer in Winnipeg to get another coloured version of it - same shirt, 79 CAD + 13% tax

I guess these US HQed chain stores fixed their exchange rates a *long* time ago...
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's been done. This is one of the major outlet mall chains :

http://www.primeoutlets.com/

Canadians get their knocked down GAP and Nike goods along the border or in Florida.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:30 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
We go to the US for outlet shopping. And a lot of regular clothes shopping too. A recent example - I bought a plain white shirt in Eddie Bauer in the US the other week, 49 USD + 6.5% tax. I liked it and went to the local Eddie Bauer in Winnipeg to get another coloured version of it - same shirt, 79 CAD + 13% tax

I guess these US HQed chain stores fixed their exchange rates a *long* time ago...
Worra rip orf.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a translator in the house
Robson is like Hampstead. Malls are for chavs. Innit?
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:43 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Robson is like Hampstead. Malls are for chavs. Innit?
Yah but even I was amazed that the mall rats over here avoid knifing/cigarette-stubbing the faux leather chairs which dot our local super-mall. That's always something which amazes me to this day.

One has to think realistically that no UK mall would have faux-leather chairs for fear of them being ripped to shreds by the be-hooded rat-massive.

Rich.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Yah but even I was amazed that the mall rats over here avoid knifing/cigarette-stubbing the faux leather chairs which dot our local super-mall. That's always something which amazes me to this day.

One has to think realistically that no UK mall would have faux-leather chairs for fear of them being ripped to shreds by the be-hooded rat-massive.

Rich.
I think the only mall I've been into more than once is the Welfare Mall (Gerrard Square), that's where the kiosk for government services is. There aren't any chairs there.

I understand that some people feel the need to buy things but fail to see that the world needs malls at all. They're a blight on the landscape, they contribute to the dreary uniformity of North American towns and they contain some of the worst restaurants on the planet. All in all mall shoppers are almost as contemptible as people who play golf.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:22 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think the only mall I've been into more than once is the Welfare Mall (Gerrard Square), that's where the kiosk for government services is. There aren't any chairs there.

I understand that some people feel the need to buy things but fail to see that the world needs malls at all. They're a blight on the landscape, they contribute to the dreary uniformity of North American towns and they contain some of the worst restaurants on the planet. All in all mall shoppers are almost as contemptible as people who play golf.
LMAO.....
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:26 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Rich.

Things are a-changing on Robson. The monied Chinese and Japanese shoppers/tourists (moreso the latter) are no longer spending the volumes of $$$ that they were. Not least, I believe, because Robson is a failed attempt at something like Rodeo Drive and the store selection is pitiful. Boutique shopping works when you have original in-demand niche couture. Your average Vancouverite shopper doesn't really fall into that category. Having more than three colours of the same T Shirt is considered innovative.

Last edited by dingbat; Jul 14th 2006 at 5:29 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:32 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Oh Okay, I just had wrongly assumed that Shopping Malls were the same as our Indoor Shopping Centres like "The Trafford Centre" or "The Metro Centre" where things are full price apart from January Sale time.
Yeah, there are loads of them.

If your into brands, (Today i am mostly wearing a retro terrace look) you can get some good stuff around Toronto at Heartland Town Centre (sort of a big multi sited outlet) and over at Niagara USA, the only place that has visually depressed me since arriving.

eg) Visa bill just in from the weekend
Adidas Nastase 16.83 Quid (no pound sign on keyboard)
Timberland boots 37.17 Quid

The malls are nothing like the Trafford centres etc in the UK.
Square One which is apparantly Canadas largest
(Edmontons is now an entertainment centre) is reminiscent of Manchester Arndale circa 1981 !!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Things are a-changing on Robson. The monied Chinese and Japanese shoppers/tourists (moreso the latter) are no longer spending the volumes of $$$ that they were. Not least, I believe, because Robson is a failed attempt at something like Rodeo Drive and the store selection is pitiful. Boutique shopping works when you have original in-demand niche couture. Your average Vancouverite shopper doesn't really fall into that category. Having more than three colours of the same T Shirt is considered innovative.
I thought the selection of stores on Rodeo Drive was pitiful, so I should hate to see Robson. Really, if one must shop outside Europe, Fifth Avenue is the only place.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:33 pm
Lotus-eater

Your average Vancouverite shopper doesn't really fall into that category. Having more than three colours of the same T Shirt is considered innovative.
Oh I don't know, I've seen many colourful characters knocking about downtown. Yaletown appears abuzz and not in a loud brutal bling-bling manner, Granville Island is always leftfield. I like the vibe on North Van at Lonsdale, though West Van I find very stuffy and dreary, in a Bournemouth with Escalades and manservants stylee.

The birthplace of Greenpeace and that notorious criminal Marc Emery can't be dreary, surely ?

Rich.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:35 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Buchan6
Today i am mostly wearing a retro terrace look
Complete with early 80's wedge or later 80's footballer perm hairdo ?

Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.