Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Misconception on cost of living

Misconception on cost of living

Old Jul 31st 2006, 3:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Misconception on cost of living

Originally Posted by Hangman
Your reality is very much different than mine.

Tell me more about this maximum pension thing, Ive not heard of any maximum being placed on pensions.

Unless you are speaking only of CPP and OAP.
RRSP contribution max out too at 20% percent of income and a five digit dollar number I dont remember and havent had the oportunity to get close to.

Exact numbers may be off, but you get the idea. Tax sheltering is limited.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 3:56 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
RRSP contribution max out too at 20% percent of income and a five digit dollar number I dont remember and havent had the oportunity to get close to.

Exact numbers may be off, but you get the idea. Tax sheltering is limited.
True but there is nothing stopping a person from putting other monies aside for retirement.

You just don't get the tax advantages.

I guess I'll never have to worry about either, being already retired that is.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Originally Posted by TrishB
Get a grip on yourself! Do you really need 4500 sq ft of house???? No wonder your taxes are so high. Your heating costs must be huge too!
Simple way to save loadsadosh - move to a smaller place!
Er -why do I need a grip on myself? We can afford this now but not as retirees. I posted before my property is three floors and it is an R2000 home. Doesn't anyone else have one of those here in Canada. Heating/hot water bills last year were $3000 - large historic houses in my neighbourhood have heating bills of $10-12,000 a year because they are not well insulated nor do they have the argon filled E windows. So what are heating bills in, say, Toronto anyone? It is cheaper to live in a warmer climate as a retiree - salaries here pay for everything, but not pensions. Maybe you are all young people
Old Jul 31st 2006, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liana
Well where are you all living - I live in one of the most modest cities in Canada -if you live in any of the major cities then you will have very expensive housing too. And we can't afford to stay in a house this size; are you not aware that their are pension regulations here in Canada also and there are maximum pensions available unless your company sets up secondary pension funds to give you a bigger pension. Check out www.mls.ca and see what property prices are. Like most older people we will have to downsize when we retire and maybe we will have enough to buy a 2 bedroom apartment in a retirement comminity in Sussex but there aren't a great deal of such communities here in Canada - two retirement communities in Toronto that I know of charge $5000 a month rent - ok, great services, like restaurants and gym etc but no purchasing available and cleaning snow off the drive and sidewalk is a pain in the neck when you get older and retirement communities or condos good places to be. Still trying to stay on thread about misconception.
Well I would hope that some of your $1m house is equity, and that you could buy something outright (from the literally thousands of properties I saw on MLS for less than $500k around Toronto) when you retire. In fact MLS kept telling me to revise my search because there were more than 500 properties and it couldn't display them all. Why couldn't you buy a managed retirement condo? There are loads of them???
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
Well I would hope that some of your $1m house is equity, and that you could buy something outright (from the literally thousands of properties I saw on MLS for less than $500k around Toronto) when you retire. In fact MLS kept telling me to revise my search because there were more than 500 properties and it couldn't display them all. Why couldn't you buy a managed retirement condo? There are loads of them???
Hi Tuppence,

not spoke to u for ages....hope you are well.

Mark
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:01 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Er -why do I need a grip on myself? We can afford this now but not as retirees. I posted before my property is three floors and it is an R2000 home. Doesn't anyone else have one of those here in Canada. Heating/hot water bills last year were $3000 - large historic houses in my neighbourhood have heating bills of $10-12,000 a year because they are not well insulated nor do they have the argon filled E windows. So what are heating bills in, say, Toronto anyone? It is cheaper to live in a warmer climate as a retiree - salaries here pay for everything, but not pensions. Maybe you are all young people

I am sure there are many people with R2000 homes, just not a lot with 4,500sq ft homes.

As I said in another post your reality is very different than mine and I would guess most others on this forum.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
Hi Tuppence,

not spoke to u for ages....hope you are well.

Mark
Hi Mark. Been very busy, so not on here much. I'm just trying to explain to someone with a $1m dollar house, how to get by in retirement - I don't think it will get through

Hope you are OK?
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My smaller (1500 sq ft raised bungalow) house is costing 2500 for oil. Insulation could (and will) be better. Property taxes are about $1700.

That covers HW and Forced Air. Hydro is about another 1800+ depending on A/C useage.

Its either too cold or too hot in this country, and therefore its expected that you will have to pay to heat or cool accordingly. Energy prices are rising in line with the rest of the world, so costs have outstripped inflation, making it tough to budget for. No point complaining, just try and minimise the impact.

I cant imagine putting up with paying $10k for heating though, I just dont know how thats possible in this day and age.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 31st 2006 at 4:13 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Investor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hangman
I am sure there are many people with R2000 homes

Can someone tell me what R2000 is?
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Investor
Can someone tell me what R2000 is?
Environment Canada supported insulation standard for new homes.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

So what are heating bills in, say, Toronto anyone?
Look back about 5 or 6 posts, I put my details from the GTA there.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by sysclp
Look back about 5 or 6 posts, I put my details from the GTA there.
What do you heat with to pay $35 a month?
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
I think you need to do more homework on "Adult lifestlye communities", as I can think of at least two within a stones throw of here, and we are 2h from Toronto.

AFAIK its always been possible to pay someone else a nominal amount to clear snow for you, no matter where you live. Perhaps you could spend a small portion of what you save from your ludicrous taxes when you downsize on that?
Which communities are those- thanks? We already have snow clearers and it is about $200-$300 a month based on the amount of snow which again is another expense that older people find too much. Here sidewalks have to be cleared legally, within 24 hours of the snowfall, not like Toronto I believe. When we lived in Calgary we did not have sidewalks and it doesn't snow very much in Vancouver so it is not an extra expense there either.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Which communities are those- thanks? We already have snow clearers and it is about $200-$300 a month based on the amount of snow which again is another expense that older people find too much. Here sidewalks have to be cleared legally, within 24 hours of the snowfall, not like Toronto I believe. When we lived in Calgary we did not have sidewalks and it doesn't snow very much in Vancouver so it is not an extra expense there either.
Our 97 year old neighbour gets hers cleared for free before my driveway gets done. She deserves it for being a great neighbour.

"Wellington on the lake" is one community that comes to mind. There are others around too.

I believe the snow clearance rules apply in TO to, but they dont get East coast snowfall. How much are you cleaing for $300 a month? Big house with long driveway I suppose? $100 a month is more normal round here I believe...but again, we get less snow, and probably over fewer months too.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 31st 2006 at 4:43 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tuppence
This is interesting- where are the retirement communities that you know of? There are lots of good condos available and that is great for people that don't want the expense and hassle of gardening etc at any age or as they get older but there are some great new retirement communities in the UK and several couples I know were not able to get the same here in Canada. The last couple I know that returned to the UK, after living here for 20 years, was two years ago - have new complexes come on the market since then?
We have good equity in the house, but nowhere near as good as those in the UK; what would 400,000 pounds buy us there in a decent city? If anyone comes to Canada I would recommend not selling any property they owned abroad, rent it out instead. Property markets here are not necessarily as hot as other places.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.