Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Minimum salary - family of 4

Minimum salary - family of 4

Old Mar 10th 2017, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minimum salary - family of 4

I'm also concerned about the cost and possibility of obtaining daycare in this area ................ especially with one still in diapers.

First, licensed daycare spaces are very limited, with long waiting lists. Many of them request a deposit just to be on that list.

Second, there are unlicensed daycares, but whilst most are great some can be iffy.

Third, I also wonder about the chance of being able to get both children into the same daycare

Fourth, I have seen reports of $1000-1600 a month as common for older children, but of $2000 and up for babies under 1.

Obviously, I don't have recent personal experience of searching for or using a daycare ............ but there are frequent reports in the media of mothers putting their names on waiting lists as soon as the baby is born (ie at the beginning the a 1 year maternity leave) and still without a place when it's time to go back to work.

Such a situation is not all that new, especially for those of us who immigrate and have no family members to help out. We had similar problems 40+ years ago ..... the amounts might have been much lower, but the percentage of annual income required was not that much different from today!

FWIW ..... the monthly cost of daycare can be less than the monthly cost of putting a child into a private school . The only difference is that one has to pay the school for a whole term in one go.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 6:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Obviously, I don't have recent personal experience of searching for or using a daycare ............ but there are frequent reports in the media of mothers putting their names on waiting lists as soon as the baby is born (ie at the beginning the a 1 year maternity leave) and still without a place when it's time to go back to work.
Why make a rush of it? Women often know that they are pregnant before a baby appears so they should be able to begin daycare negotiations 18 months before there's a need for a facility.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

well, it's always wise to wait until the baby safely arrives
Old Mar 10th 2017, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Night skiing is a reality for a lot of Vancouver families in the winter months. That way it becomes a part of the weekday after work routine. For about $800, you can buy your family an early bird family pass (2 adults, 2 children) to Mount Seymour, which is normally otherwise $2000:

2017/2018 Season Pass Sale | Mt Seymour

Skiing is not a cheap endeavor, but you can do it cheaper if you're strategic (ie: early bird passes).

Last edited by Lychee; Mar 10th 2017 at 8:21 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 8:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
well, it's always wise to wait until the baby safely arrives
Why?
Old Mar 10th 2017, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

dannycanyon is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if you have kids, so don't mean to be condescending, but it's a fine thing. You don't count your chickens before they have hatched. Obviously logically it makes sense (though not sure if possible, especially when they ask for birthdate and potentially sex lol) but you just don't do it as you want your kids to arrive..... Surely that is not lost on people?
Old Mar 10th 2017, 9:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannycanyon
Not sure if you have kids, so don't mean to be condescending, but it's a fine thing. You don't count your chickens before they have hatched. Obviously logically it makes sense (though not sure if possible, especially when they ask for birthdate and potentially sex lol) but you just don't do it as you want your kids to arrive..... Surely that is not lost on people?
I understand the sentimental view but when it comes to schools, daycares, the Scouts, areas of competition, I think it's better to plan ahead and to have the child only when places are secured.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

dannycanyon is an unknown quantity at this point

What, otherwise just get the mothers to cross their legs for a bit ....... 😂😂😂 kidding
Old Mar 10th 2017, 9:17 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Run a home based business,look after the kids, savings on daycare can make the business much more profitable.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 9:20 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I understand the sentimental view but when it comes to schools, daycares, the Scouts, areas of competition, I think it's better to plan ahead and to have the child only when places are secured.
I wouldn't tbh... pregnancy is fraught with all kinds of reasons why a baby wouldn't arrive or arrive not living. To have to go through telling everyone is traumatic enough without needlessly telling someone. Even I was aware of not keeping the pram in the house etc although I admit I didn't pay that one any heed.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

I agree with Tirytory ............... all kinds of reasons why a pregnancy may not go through to birth of baby

plus .................. pregnancy doesn't always happen to the schedule that the parents might wish.

It could take 2 months or 10 years to accomplish

and no, I am not about to give an education lesson to those of you who don't know why
Old Mar 10th 2017, 11:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I wouldn't tbh... pregnancy is fraught with all kinds of reasons why a baby wouldn't arrive or arrive not living. To have to go through telling everyone is traumatic enough without needlessly telling someone. Even I was aware of not keeping the pram in the house etc although I admit I didn't pay that one any heed.
I have misled you and I apologise. I don't actually think that people should attempt the conception of offspring based on the availability of places in formal or informal educational settings.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 12:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have misled you and I apologise. I don't actually think that people should attempt the conception of offspring based on the availability of places in formal or informal educational settings.
You little rascal.. a bit of leg pulling going on again.. consider your wrist slapped..

Old Mar 11th 2017, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannycanyon

I requested just shy of 100,000 and if I don't get it,
Speaking from experience, I wouldn't do it for $100k. We came over on my salary alone (which was also just shy of $100k) and while it wasn't a struggle, it wasn't great either. It took my wife almost 9 months to find a job and until then, it didn't feel like we could really enjoy ourselves here.

3 bedroom rental properties are at a premium (for example we are currently paying $3k for one in North Van, we were paying $2.5k for a much smaller place also in North Van, there are very few 3 bed condos built in general).

I note that your wife works in marketing. Has she checked out the local job market? She may struggle to find work.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 3:07 pm
Been here 8 years now...

Steve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to beholdSteve.gibbs007 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by withabix
He must have been a scouser....

Easy tiger - there's a few of us around you know ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.