Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Minimum salary - family of 4

Minimum salary - family of 4

Old Mar 10th 2017, 12:47 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minimum salary - family of 4

Originally Posted by not2old
On the house prices which vary Province to province, town to town

Since those of us posting on BE are mainly Brit ex-pats, have you looked at what you get dollar to pound price comparisons in a similar town/city in the UK?

Yes, and it is very depressing what £275,000 buys in my old area.

2 bedroom end of terrace house for sale in Carmarthen Close, FARNBOROUGH, Hampshire, GU14
Old Mar 10th 2017, 1:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There are still some lovely properties in attractive parts of London for that money:

3 bedroom apartment for sale in Eglinton Hill, London, Greater London, SE18 3DU, SE18
Old Mar 10th 2017, 4:08 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There are still some lovely properties in attractive parts of London for that money:

3 bedroom apartment for sale in Eglinton Hill, London, Greater London, SE18 3DU, SE18
Jesus, those photos are bloody awful

I wonder if the people currently living there are tenants who don't want to move...that garden. wow.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 5:00 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Jesus, those photos are bloody awful

I wonder if the people currently living there are tenants who don't want to move...that garden. wow.

It looks like my old student accommodation in Liverpool after it had been robbed

I agree the price isn't bad dbd but your definition of lovely clearly doesn't seem to match mine
Old Mar 10th 2017, 7:12 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Umm could we perhaps get back on topic? The poor OP must be wondering what on earth's going on!

So... salary needed to support a famiy of 4, good lifestyle, 3 bedroom home, etc., etc.,

Would be great to have some people who are in a similar situation give some advice..

Thank you kindly..

Old Mar 10th 2017, 11:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Umm could we perhaps get back on topic? The poor OP must be wondering what on earth's going on!

So... salary needed to support a famiy of 4, good lifestyle, 3 bedroom home, etc., etc.,

Would be great to have some people who are in a similar situation give some advice..

Thank you kindly..

I know a young couple, two small children, in Vancouver. They used to ski but now have children, so they don't. Otherwise they live roughly the life the OP imagines; apartment smaller than ideal for so many people, bicycle to work (via the daycare), use a car share when vehicle needed, hike, go to the beach, eat grains, obligatory annual trip to Europe to see family. I doubt they save and they're in no position to buy a house. Income north of $100,000, each.

Their view is that it's not the property prices in Vancouver that are a problem but the incomes. In other places with similar property prices; San Francisco, NYC, London, they'd have the opportunity to make an income commensurate to the property prices. Vancouver though is not a throbbing hub of the economy; they'd be paid more to do the same jobs in places with lower property values such as Toronto or even Ottawa but those are cold places. If you'd rather be damp then cold then sacrifices must be made.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

dannycanyon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all guys for your informative answers.... You are all painting a wonderful picture of a fantastic city on the verge of revolt lol...

amazing place, but it doesn't come cheap.

I requested just shy of 100,000 and if I don't get it, I will have to decline, unless other benefits don't counteract minimal salary. Whilst I truly want to move to Van for all the obvious reasons, I don't want to sacrifice my families happiness just got my personal dreams.

Personally I'm not too bothered about upsizing, as long as we are not climbing over each other, its location, location, location....

Re childcare, whilst obviously my wife could look after two kids if not working, she has spent last 3.5 years doing that in a country with different language and no family support..... She needs her identity back. I'm Daddy day caring right now and I can confirm it is pretty horrendous both from patience, exhaustion, ground hog day perspective... I'm glad I have seen both sides of the coin. I would call anyone who believes it is a walk in the park an imbecile... (My old self included).

Once again, for all your help I thank you and to those of you who spent more time comparing financial johnsons....... Really??, get a life
Old Mar 10th 2017, 2:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dannycanyon
Thanks all guys for your informative answers.... You are all painting a wonderful picture of a fantastic city on the verge of revolt lol...

amazing place, but it doesn't come cheap.

I requested just shy of 100,000 and if I don't get it, I will have to decline, unless other benefits don't counteract minimal salary. Whilst I truly want to move to Van for all the obvious reasons, I don't want to sacrifice my families happiness just got my personal dreams.

Personally I'm not too bothered about upsizing, as long as we are not climbing over each other, its location, location, location....
What is it about the location that you find attractive?
Old Mar 10th 2017, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

You mean Van?.

Well doorstop to some of the most beautiful great outdoors in the world, ability to go hiking/camping/SUP/kayaking in the summer and skiing/boarding/snowshoeing in Winter.... Essentially an outdoorsmans paradise. However, you can also enjoy the city life which can provide substantial diversity in culture and cuisine.... So best of both worlds...

perhaps this can however be found elsewhere such as Edinburgh, which is also a city close to my heart. (with the exception of decent skiing that is. I grew up skiing in Glenshee and Lecht)
Old Mar 10th 2017, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Oops you meant North Van didn't you?.

Well I guess both my wife and I aren't quite ready for total suburbia yet. We like hustle bustle. So whilst Kelowna seems a great option, I'm not going to start selling organs. So we saw North Van as being a 'cheaper' option still within fairly close proximity to downtown but also with close proximity to outdoors.

Happy to be corrected and advised 😏
Old Mar 10th 2017, 3:24 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It is the skiing bit that worries me. That can get expensive very quickly.

$100k for a family income? It is doable. Average household income in Metro Vancouver (so including the 'burbs) is around $70,000 so you will be better off than most. Even better if your OH can earn enough to make the childcare worthwhile. To me the question would be if your family are on board with the hassle of moving for a comfortable but modest lifestyle.

The notion that you can only just scrape by on $200k
Old Mar 10th 2017, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I did give that a double take.....

My wife will want to find work for reasons already stated, but she works in marketing and not the upper echelons (helped by 3.5yrs out of work) so that is not going to pay very much. This then leaves it down to me to try and get as much as poss.

I appreciate what you are saying re skiing and you are absolutely right, the prices have gotten crazy. We are actually just going to France next week for a ski weekend (child free). It cost crazy money to do that, so the theory many moons ago was that if you lived close to the slopes you wouldn't have to sell a kidney to afford a family ski holiday...... This theory is quickly becoming inaccurate.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 3:53 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

At least if you are in North Van you have three perfectly decent ski slopes right on your doorstep. It won't make kitting out yourselves and the rugrats any cheaper but you don't have the travel and overnight stays to pay for.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Ah that's no problem, certainly for adults, we are all kitted out, kids obviously will rely on pre-used..... It'll only get ruined.
Old Mar 10th 2017, 5:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Oops you meant North Van didn't you?.
No, I meant Vancouver. Thank you for answering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.