Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Millwright Red Seal Papers

Millwright Red Seal Papers

Old Aug 18th 2014, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

muners is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Millwright Red Seal Papers

Hello, I have 12 months from when I arrive ( 12th Sept ) to complete and pass my red seal exams, as layed out in my T&C's for my new company.
Where is the best place to get hold of some?
In Canada or here so I can start to read up sooner rather than later?
I will be Sask.
Thank You.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 4:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Millwright Red Seal Papers

Not a clue about the Red Seal I'm afraid, but I'm sure somebody else will be along to advise shortly.

But am I going completely doolally (always a possibility), or don't you need rehab to enter Canada and have only just applied for it? You know it can take up to a year?
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not a clue about the Red Seal I'm afraid, but I'm sure somebody else will be along to advise shortly.

But am I going completely doolally (always a possibility), or don't you need rehab to enter Canada and have only just applied for it? You know it can take up to a year?
Re the red seal question That is what I am hoping
As for the rehab, got my email from CHC confirming all is good, told me to print out and keep with me every time i enter Canada.
I am not complaining but it seemed to me they just wanted 200$CA from me, I was still inside the ten year period, only just, sent my forms off for information only and got the response, 'you need to apply for full rehab, but seeing as we already have your information, pay the dollars and we'll sort it out, and don't worry re your new company there is plenty of time to get it all sorted in time for you to fly out'.
I was not going to argue, I paid via postal order and had the worlds biggest smile on my face last week when the email came through from CHC within five working days.
Bloody love the efficiency of the Canadians at times
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muners
I am not complaining but it seemed to me they just wanted 200$CA from me, I was still inside the ten year period, only just, sent my forms off for information only and got the response, 'you need to apply for full rehab, but seeing as we already have your information, pay the dollars and we'll sort it out, and don't worry re your new company there is plenty of time to get it all sorted in time for you to fly out'.
I was not going to argue, I paid via postal order and had the worlds biggest smile on my face last week when the email came through from CHC within five working days.
Bloody love the efficiency of the Canadians at times
Really?! So they've said you need rehab but effectively allowed you to queue jump and said they'll sort it before you leave? Blimey, I've never heard of that before.

The cynic is me says don't book flights or make any concrete plans until you've actually got rehab in hand, in case it was a mistake or an email from a call centre muppet without any actual knowledge of how long rehab normally takes.

If you've got it in writing though, then they'll come good on their promise.

Best of luck, hope you find out some info about the Red Seal too.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Really?! So they've said you need rehab but effectively allowed you to queue jump and said they'll sort it before you leave? Blimey, I've never heard of that before.

The cynic is me says don't book flights or make any concrete plans until you've actually got rehab in hand, in case it was a mistake or an email from a call centre muppet without any actual knowledge of how long rehab normally takes.

If you've got it in writing though, then they'll come good on their promise.

Best of luck, hope you find out some info about the Red Seal too.
I thought the same, so I emailed them to confirm. which they did.
Just needed to print off the form with all my data and confirmation of rehab details and show it too border control when they ask for my police cert.
I know I am one very fortunate man.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Just needed to print off the form with all my data and confirmation of rehab details and show it too border control when they ask for my police cert.

Best of luck.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much. I have all fingers crossed too. my company seem happy with everything too.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, I have 12 months from when I arrive ( 12th Sept ) to complete and pass my red seal exams, as layed out in my T&C's for my new company.
Where is the best place to get hold of some?
In Canada or here so I can start to read up sooner rather than later?
I will be Sask.
Thank You.
There is no such thing as Red Seal papers or Red Seal exams. Trades are licensed or certified by the provincial training authority and are Red Seal endorsed. If a trade is Red Seal endorsed it is considered an Interprovincial qualification.

If you are talking about study materials, only you can decide when it is best for you to start studying. You first port of call should be the provincial training authority.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:08 am
Just Joined

jdl848 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Millwright Red Seal Papers

I have mine too and as I have just come from a military aviation/mechanical background, I'm a little nervous. There is a course in Edmonton on 15th to 21st sept. It costs $1500, but there are guys who I work with who have done it and say "you are very well prepared for the test ". I phoned and asked and the guy said the course doesn't teach you to be a millwright, but to prepare you for the exam conditions.

Pm me and I'll get you the details mate. The guy also sends out study packs to swot up on prior to the course. Also, I know you can buy the entire bank of 4000 questions for $500 from the trade secrets website. May be worth a look.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
There is no such thing as Red Seal papers or Red Seal exams. Trades are licensed or certified by the provincial training authority and are Red Seal endorsed. If a trade is Red Seal endorsed it is considered an Interprovincial qualification.

If you are talking about study materials, only you can decide when it is best for you to start studying. You first port of call should be the provincial training authority.
Thank you for being so matter of fact, it was a request for information in order to get a heads up, maybe I should have put my NOC code in so as to avoid any confusion re generalisation??
The provincial training authority are the ones that have ok'd my UK certificates and training and have also pointed me in the direction of book stores in order to purchase materials.
But thank you for your wise words on the OP. Very helpful.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdl848
I have mine too and as I have just come from a military aviation/mechanical background, I'm a little nervous. There is a course in Edmonton on 15th to 21st sept. It costs $1500, but there are guys who I work with who have done it and say "you are very well prepared for the test ". I phoned and asked and the guy said the course doesn't teach you to be a millwright, but to prepare you for the exam conditions.

Pm me and I'll get you the details mate. The guy also sends out study packs to swot up on prior to the course. Also, I know you can buy the entire bank of 4000 questions for $500 from the trade secrets website. May be worth a look.
Cheers mate, yes I had heard the same thing, you are prepared in order to sit the exam, same as the driving test here.
Been looking at the trade secrets site too, May be just worth waiting until I get out there and start work? Only a few weeks to go.
Thanks for the response, I will PM you now.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Phil_Jude will become famous soon enough

have you tried Exambank.com it has all the Red seal trade exams and is a lot cheaper than $1500. I did got mine last year and (welder) but remember the red seal is a 2 part exam (or at least for welders it is). And good luck on the exams