Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Millstone of United Canada

Wikiposts

Millstone of United Canada

Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:13 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Millstone of United Canada

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is New Quebec south of Georgia?
Not sure but that would be a bugger to cross into if you're coming from Ontario!
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:24 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I often wonder what what happen to my little part of Quebec if the province did ever separate. The Federal government is the largest single employer in Gatineau and many of its offices are on this side of the river.

It would be hard to imagine a government having a public service that is 50%staffed by foreign nationals. Maybe the border would be moved a bit?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

NewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I often wonder what what happen to my little part of Quebec if the province did ever separate. The Federal government is the largest single employer in Gatineau and many of its offices are on this side of the river.

It would be hard to imagine a government having a public service that is 50%staffed by foreign nationals. Maybe the border would be moved a bit?
If the border is moved "a bit", then it'll probably have to be moved all the way to Blvd des Sources off the West Island.

I never quite understood that whole 'Canada is divisble but Quebec isn't' thing. IIRC, Quebec doesn't have the same borders that New France had. There are plenty of regions of Quebec that would vote heavily against separation. I don't know what any future referendum (following the Clarity Act) would say about those regions. I would suspect another mass exodus.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:48 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewWorldMan
If the border is moved "a bit", then it'll probably have to be moved all the way to Blvd des Sources off the West Island.

I never quite understood that whole 'Canada is divisble but Quebec isn't' thing. IIRC, Quebec doesn't have the same borders that New France had. There are plenty of regions of Quebec that would vote heavily against separation. I don't know what any future referendum (following the Clarity Act) would say about those regions. I would suspect another mass exodus.
NWM I used to live on Sources 6 years ago!! LOL
Old Sep 27th 2006, 4:51 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewWorldMan

Yes, IIRC there was a statement from Quebec First Nation leaders just before the 1995 referendum that they would remain in Canada whatever the result. How this might have been implemented was fortunately never tested. (Oh, and it matters because the First Nations territories in the north are where the bulk of Quebec's vast hydroelectricity resource is located).
Old Sep 27th 2006, 4:56 am
Senile Member

A bit off topic but.. I don't know if this was in jest or not but I'd heard something about south west England (cant recall where exactly) wanting to become its own country independent of England?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 5:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
A bit off topic but.. I don't know if this was in jest or not but I'd heard something about south west England (cant recall where exactly) wanting to become its own country independent of England?
Cornish nationalism is hamstrung by language disputes; they can't decide which is the real Cornish language.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 5:13 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Millstone of United Canada

There are also rumblings from Scotland (of course) and even Wales wanting to be independent from the rest of the UK. There will only be Northern Ireland left, and when the catholics become the majority their, we will lose them too.

The United Kingdom is'nt quite so United anymore.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 5:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
There are also rumblings from Scotland (of course) and even Wales wanting to be independent from the rest of the UK. There will only be Northern Ireland left, and when the catholics become the majority their, we will lose them too.

The United Kingdom is'nt quite so United anymore.
There you are. Please explain how, if Quebec were to secede, it would cause less problems for Canadians in the future.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 5:22 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Kernow has never been part of England, legally speaking.

Rich.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 5:29 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about

There you are. Please explain how, if Quebec were to secede, it would cause less problems for Canadians in the future.
WOW!! I have a stalker? LOL

The pain of the break with Quebec will be over and done with if Quebec cecedes earlier than later. Canada can get on with its national life, and let the French Canadians do whatever they need to in order to create a separate nation or become a part of France. Thats all I meant buddy.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 5:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
WOW!! I have a stalker? LOL

The pain of the break with Quebec will be over and done with if Quebec cecedes earlier than later. Canada can get on with its national life, and let the French Canadians do whatever they need to in order to create a separate nation or become a part of France. Thats all I meant buddy.
You make two erroneous assumptions, firstly that Quebec will secede and secondly that Canada has a "national life" independent of the French Canadians. The latter is particularly weak since a French Canadian has been Prime Minister for most of the past three decades.

It's also a very strange idea that Quebec should become part of France, why France as opposed to, say, the Belgian Congo?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 5:48 am
Account Closed

You make two erroneous assumptions, firstly that Quebec will secede and secondly that Canada has a "national life" independent of the French Canadians. The latter is particularly weak since a French Canadian has been Prime Minister for most of the past three decades.

It's also a very strange idea that Quebec should become part of France, why France as opposed to, say, the Belgian Congo?
If any province were to cecede, given the history of Quebec and its threats to do so, it is likely that that province would be Quebec. A French Canadian may have been Prime Minister of Canada, so what? Means diddly squat. Most French Canadians would consider themselves allied with France than they would with Belgium.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 5:58 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldnt the French have to accept Quebec too? Why would they given the history of blackmail and whining of la belle provence, and frances recent history of trying to divest itself of its colonial past? Quebec would have to be truly independent.

They have come close to breaking away a few times. I dont see anything changing. When push comes to shove they know they have too much to lose. A vast part of PQs economy comes through trade with the US, and outside of NAFTA that would be hit hard, plus the practicalities of separation just dont bear thinking about, the infrastructure costs would be insane to break free of confederation.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:00 am
Senile Member

I notice you didn't tell kingfisher that he was in error in thinking you were a stalker though hee hee hee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.