Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Military pension question

Military pension question

Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Military pension question

Ive just found this on the CRA website, and if I am to believe them then it looks like we can't buy a house and rent out as owning a house would imply residential status - see what you think and see if you gree with me?

Liffy

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/nonresi...onres-e.html#d
Residency status
Non-residents
You're a non-resident for tax purposes if you:
• normally, customarily, or routinely live in another country and aren't considered a resident of Canada; or
• don't have residential ties in Canada; and
o you live outside Canada throughout the tax year; or
o you stay in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year.
What are residential ties?
Residential ties include:
• a home in Canada;
• a spouse or common-law partner (see the definition in the General Income Tax and Benefit Guide) and dependants in Canada;
• personal property in Canada, such as a car or furniture;
• social ties in Canada.
Other ties that may be relevant include:
• a Canadian driver's licence;
• a Canadian bank account or credit cards;
• health insurance with a Canadian province or territory.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:10 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LiffyB
Residential ties include:
• a home in Canada;
A home is a place where you live. It is nothing to do with ownership. You can buy your home, or rent it from someone else. If you maintain a home in Canada you will be considered as a tax resident.

An investment property is different. If you buy a house (or apartment) and rent it to tenants, it is their home, not yours. It is perfectly possible to be non resident in Canada for tax purposes, but still own real estate in Canada.

I am not necessarily advocating this. It will start to cloud the issue of tax residency. Also, managing rental property from 3,000 miles away can be fraught with difficulties. However, if you are concerned about missing out on rising house prices in Canada (and it is no certainty that they will continue to rise) then this is a possible option.

Last edited by JonboyE; Mar 28th 2008 at 5:14 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

That seems to be what other people are saying on some of the other threads out there - but OH is convinced that we will be classed as residents and liable to tax (this is the man that always tells me that I moan about my glass be half empty!!).

There must be others out there going through the same as us?

Liffy
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:39 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

There is a more detailed discussion by the CRA in their Interpretation Bulletin 221.

You can also request a written ruling from the CRA. The form is here.

If you feel the form is not appropriate, you could just write to the International Tax Services Office at 2204 Walkley Road, Ottawa, ON, K1A 1A8, Canada.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that -I'll certainly check it out! As the law stands now without our PR visa activated we could buy and rent out a place very easily - but it's once our visa's are activated we could get potential problems. Sensible option would be to wait unitl next year to apply for the CI route to NS - but the goal posts may have change by then. Devil you win - Devil you loose!

Thanks so much for help - it's been much appreciated! everything seems to be getting clearer now!

Liffy
Old Mar 28th 2008, 7:19 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Just bear in mind that the PR visa might have a short fuse by the time you get it. It's only valid 1 year from date of medicals, and in our case it took about 5 months to arrive, so we only had a 7 month window to land.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Brian Boru will become famous soon enoughBrian Boru will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Military pension question - xafinity paymaster rates

Originally Posted by ex_REME
.......You can either have it paid into a UK bank account and do the currency transfer yourself or have it exchanged by the Paymaster into Canadian Dollars and paid directly into a Canadian Bank each month. The Paymaster uses a commercial org to do that, so I was told the exchange rate is better than the tourist rate (but obviously will vary each month) and the cost is low (£5 ish I think per month, but I've left my notes at work and am on leave this week so can't check them.)
I wrote to JPAC and got the following reply direct from xafinity paymaster in Nov 07.

"We can pay your Armed Forces pension directly to your account in Canada, you will need to complete an application form with the account details that can be requested from this Office when you start your pension.

The pension would be paid to your Canadian bank account in local currency.

The charge made is £2.60 deducted from the net monthly pension payment. Citibank are our overseas pension provider. Citibank will ensure that all exchange rates are no more than 1.5 percentage points below the European Central Bank prevailing market rates available when your pension payment is converted"
This rate seems good. Better than a bank/tourist rate. For now I have set up a monthly transfer with MoneyCorp (good rates & £4 fee), but will look to see if the Citibank deal above is marginally better when the dust settles after we arrive.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

You need to tread carefully here. I broadly agree with Winston's analysis. If you want to ensure your OH receives his gratuity tax free then you have to be sure he is not tax resident in Canada on the day he receives it.
JonboyE

Just a quick question. When we went over to PEI on our recce last year - before this gratuity situation came to light - while there we opened some RBC bank accounts thinking it would be the way forward and be ahead of the game on arrival as we could have transfered money to them before leaving the UK.

Would you suggest then that we close those accounts ASAP so as not to have any taxable ties to Canada as previously mentioned & will this have any bearing on the gratuity situation.

Many Thanks for your help.

Dave
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:12 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Just a quick question. When we went over to PEI on our recce last year - before this gratuity situation came to light - while there we opened some RBC bank accounts thinking it would be the way forward and be ahead of the game on arrival as we could have transfered money to them before leaving the UK.

Would you suggest then that we close those accounts ASAP so as not to have any taxable ties to Canada as previously mentioned & will this have any bearing on the gratuity situation.
Hi Dave

I wouldn't worry about the bank accounts - they are considered as a secondary indicator of residence.

The tax treaty talks about the "centre of economic interests". If you have a bank account in the UK that you use to pay for your day-to-day living expenses, and a bank account in Canada that is dormant or little used, this is evidence that you are still resident in Britain.

By far the most important facts are the location of the home that you normally live in, and where the rest of your family, i.e. spouse and children, normally live. If these are in not in Canada then the bank accounts in Canada will not make a difference.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:20 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Can tax residency change at any time, or only at the start of a tax year?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Hi Dave

I wouldn't worry about the bank accounts - they are considered as a secondary indicator of residence.

The tax treaty talks about the "centre of economic interests". If you have a bank account in the UK that you use to pay for your day-to-day living expenses, and a bank account in Canada that is dormant or little used, this is evidence that you are still resident in Britain.

By far the most important facts are the location of the home that you normally live in, and where the rest of your family, i.e. spouse and children, normally live. If these are in not in Canada then the bank accounts in Canada will not make a difference.
Jonboy

Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated.

If thats the case then we will just leave them dormant on a zero balance then when we have made the move have the funds transfered once in Canada.

Cheers Dave
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by agr
Can tax residency change at any time, or only at the start of a tax year?
At any time. For most WP holders or people immigrating with PR, it is the day you land in Canada to start living here.

The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is people who become deemed residents because they stay temporarily in Canada for more than 183 days in a year. In this case they are deemed tax residents for the whole year.

Last edited by JonboyE; Mar 29th 2008 at 8:04 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:46 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

Thanks JonBoyE.
It seems to me that, under the UK-CA tax treaty, the bottom line is that your tax residency follows your closer residential ties. Before final departure from UK, the CRA would need a pretty compelling catalogue of your Canadian residential ties to outweigh your long-standing UK residential ties.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:26 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by agr
Thanks JonBoyE.
It seems to me that, under the UK-CA tax treaty, the bottom line is that your tax residency follows your closer residential ties. Before final departure from UK, the CRA would need a pretty compelling catalogue of your Canadian residential ties to outweigh your long-standing UK residential ties.
Yes, I think you are right. Generally this is pretty clear from the circumstances: you are usually tax resident where your home is and your family live.

My advise of caution to LiffyB was because activating PR status is a clear indication of intent to become resident in Canada, and if this was combined with another significant residential tie, like a family home, might tip the balance. If she was a PR and living in a family home in Canada it becomes difficult to argue that her OH, also a PR, was not resident. As their intent is to be sure he can receive his military gratuity tax free this could be a bad idea.

Most of the secondary indicators of residency are really aimed at Canadians moving to the US, not immigrants. However, the rules are there and apply to all. It is quite common for Canadians to move to the US to work for a few years. Although many intend to return to Canada, they claim they have ceased to be resident in Canada to avoid Canadian taxes, which are significantly higher than in the US.

The CRA successfully argued that even though you had moved your family to the US, the fact that you maintained Canadian bank accounts, credit cards, an available home, memberships of professional organizations and so on demonstrate that you had not permanently relinquished residential ties with Canada, and so are still resident here for tax purposes.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Having read this thread with interest...I have found it confusing...can someone please clarify the situation. The reason I ask is I leave my Army pension in the UK, and tell the tax man (Canada) about my world income ......consequently last year I had to pay $$$$ on last years tax return.

Anyway, do you guys pay less tax in the UK on your pension, because you declare it in canada, and if so what forms do you need? or is just a case of paying in both countries.

Please make the replies simple, as the whole tax issue really confuses me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.