Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Might have cold feet....

Might have cold feet....

Old Nov 10th 2015, 6:13 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Might have cold feet....

Originally Posted by Beckie and Morgan UK
Yes indeed! Big white opening two weeks earlier next Friday I think! I've never indulged in winter sports before so hopefully I'll do ok. Missing home a bit! Had to nip back a few weeks ago jut to check it was still there! Was happy to be back though. The flight from Vancouver to Kelowna was amazing!
I've got friends in Kelowna, one of which has been a ski patroller for the last couple of years up at Big White. Sadly, due to lack of work, he is returning temporarily to the UK (but he has PR now so he can always come back) - but I've no doubt he'll try and get one last ski weekend in before he leaves!

Old Nov 10th 2015, 6:17 am
Kelowna newbies July 15

Beckie and Morgan UK is an unknown quantity at this point

I bet he will! Really didn't think they'd be lack of work, seasonal yes but thought it would be really busy. Having the PR is great for him. I'm hoping our Mini Cooper gets up to Big White. We had to drive that way for a camping trip in the summer we nearly slowed to a stop in first gear! Ha :-)
Old Nov 10th 2015, 6:28 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Okanagan - you will be fine- don't expect too great snow initially- you will have blast as well as a sore behind ( falling over initially) ski board- that is the question! I always live the flight from YVR to YLW - it often flies over Kal lake over our house South down the valley. Bound to feel weird initially, just find your feet and if you have any queries, don't hesitate to pm

Oh BTW I hope that the mini has Winter tyres, you are going to need them- skidding emoticon Siouxie??!!
Old Nov 10th 2015, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tronna
If you're having cold feet about going to a city you've already lived in and enjoyed, I would say not to go.
It doesn't seem to be Vancouver that is the issue IMO.

Originally Posted by inmypocket
If we don't go, I think we would be missing an amazing opportunity. However, it could be a disaster...giving up two well paid careers to jump into the unknown. Another potentially useless qualification...
This seems to be the crux of the matter - giving up 2 well-paying jobs and doubts about the value of the qualification. Why do you think that the qualification is "potentially useless"? These are issues that would cause someone to pause even if the move was within the UK never mind a move to Canada. Giving up 2 well-paid jobs so that one of you can pursue a "potentially useless" qualification doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Hello.
I would really appreciate the forum's input and advice a I don't have any family to ask. My 'story', if I may....

My husband and I stayed in Vancouver twice on two IEC visas and really enjoyed it. We came back to the UK after the last one ran out and missed the city. Back to our original careers and friends and felt we needed a change.
So, I applied to a few universities in an effort to change my career and to my great surprise and delight, I was accepted by UBC.
After a year of fussing over visas, fees and start dates we are now in a position where we are ready to go and start in January.
There's just one problem. I think we both have cold feet!

I'm not sure what to do. If we don't go, I think we would be missing an amazing opportunity. However, it could be a disaster...giving up two well paid careers to jump into the unknown. Another potentially useless qualification...
Did any of you get cold feet? Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom? I realise it's hardly a situation most folk would deem to be stressful, rather an amazing opportunity, but I feel conflicted. Especially as husband is close to family and is a natural worrier....
Thank you to anyone who has read to the end!
Well here is my two penath.......

Getting cold feet is very normal. Leading up to my move, i was a nervous wreck! But just think of it this way, if you dont, i gaurantee that you will constantly think "what if" for the rest of your life. As my signature says at the bottom of my posts "regret what you have done, not what you haven't" that drove me, I gave up a stable well paid job in the UK, with nothing to go to, which is way out of my personal comfort zone! but i really wanted to it, was tough at first but i haven't regretted it.

Once you have gone this far into a potential move, you cant turn back, because if you stay, it will haunt you. What ever goes wrong in your life in the future, you will somehow blame it on your decision to stay in some tenuous way!

You both sound like your young and no ties, if so you dont really have nothing to lose, its only the advancing years in life that start to count against you. If it doesnt work out, you go back and get another job in the UK, probably better off for your experience. Never let a regret into your life if you can do something about it.

Paul.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 5:28 pm
Banned

Tronna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Well here is my two penath.......

Getting cold feet is very normal. Leading up to my move, i was a nervous wreck! But just think of it this way, if you dont, i gaurantee that you will constantly think "what if" for the rest of your life. As my signature says at the bottom of my posts "regret what you have done, not what you haven't" that drove me, I gave up a stable well paid job in the UK, with nothing to go to, which is way out of my personal comfort zone! but i really wanted to it, was tough at first but i haven't regretted it.

Once you have gone this far into a potential move, you cant turn back, because if you stay, it will haunt you. What ever goes wrong in your life in the future, you will somehow blame it on your decision to stay in some tenuous way!

You both sound like your young and no ties, if so you dont really have nothing to lose, its only the advancing years in life that start to count against you. If it doesnt work out, you go back and get another job in the UK, probably better off for your experience. Never let a regret into your life if you can do something about it.

Paul.
I would agree with the "you'll regret not giving it a try" sentiment if this were their first time contemplating a move abroad.

But they've already lived and worked in Vancouver, they've ticked that adventure off their bucket list, if you will. What they're contemplating now is simply doing the same thing they did before, but perhaps for a longer period. Therefore, if they decide not to go, I don't feel they'll have a nagging "what if" as might occur if they weren't already experienced expats.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 7:22 am
Just Joined

inmypocket is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Thank you for the considered response. We are 31, no kids, no ties to UK. I think we have come too far to turn back, just the nerves kicking in!
Old Nov 11th 2015, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Hi
Perhaps I should clarify 'potentially useless'. I have a good degree and as yet haven't secured a job directly relevant to it. The program at UBC is a pgdip in linguistics, step one to become a Speech and Language Therapist. They don't offer the masters to international students, I would need to complete this at Victoria, pending their acceptance. My concern is that we leave two jobs here in UK and i fail to make a success of this venture. I am aware that it is difficult for non Canadians to secure work, there's also the worry of going back to being a student and all that comes with that. I want to do it! I'm just looking for some advice to make sure I go into this eyes open.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 5:03 am
Kelowna newbies July 15

Same situation with us, I'm 33 my husband 37. No kids, no ties, sold our nice cars, saved for 2 years. Both had good jobs but we felt it was worth it. I'm a student and I'm the oldest in my class my miles, it's harder some days than others, you have to really want it and see through all the negative things that come your way. We've been together 15 years and this has certainly been our biggest test. Could have been a different story if he hadn't got work so quickly and with such good people. I've been more homesick out of us both but we face to think how brave we've been to do it, to have a go. If after two years we want to go back to England and try again then we'll just have to do it. We'll always have the experience anyway!
Old Nov 12th 2015, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Myself and OH felt exactly the same and we've only been here since July! I'm a student and my OH works full time. We planned, prepared, anticipated but nothing prepares you for how you'll actually feel. I don't regret coming here at all, we live in a beautiful place but being on a study visa means it can be just an experience (a very expensive one!) but I never would have forgiven myself if I hadn't done this. As it became very real before coming I really had cold feet, mostly of the unknown things ahead but it turned to excitement! Now it's day to day life as usual like we've always been here.
Hi Beckie and Morgan UK, how is the student experience? Was your other half able to get a job and can you work? Id be a mature student so that adds a whole other dimension to it too! One of my husband's concerns is the cost of it all, we worked so hard to get the money together and Vancouver is notoriously expensive....morning ramblings on the train to work!
Old Nov 12th 2015, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Beckie and Morgan UK, how is the student experience? Was your other half able to get a job and can you work? Id be a mature student so that adds a whole other dimension to it too! One of my husband's concerns is the cost of it all, we worked so hard to get the money together and Vancouver is notoriously expensive....morning ramblings on the train to work!
Ah that magical word appeared in this last reply VANCOUVER.
Yes Vancouver frequently appears as a factor due to the high cost of buying a house. Other than that the cost of living is similar to anywhere else in Canada. If Vancouver is the only place offering such a course then admittedly you are stuck but are there other options.
For example lets look at buying a house and lets use 600,000 as a purchase price. What will it get you in Vancouver compared to say cities like Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, Ottawa, Hamilton, Montreal, Halifax, Moncton or St Johns?
If your heart is set on Vancouver then this is the price you have to pay unless you are ok with renting until you have enough to buy a house.
Many of us Canadians choose not to live in Vancouver for this reason alone.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 1:55 am
Kelowna newbies July 15

Hi
The student experience is fantastic. We live in Kelowna, about 4 hours drive from Vancouver, I'm considered a mature student at 33 but the class I'm in, although most a lot younger are really mature, supportive and friendly. My tutors at Okanagan College have been a brilliant support network for me I'm so glad I came here.
My husband was really lucky, he worked for British Gas as a service engineer, even though he's fully Gas safe certified in the UK the whole system is completely different here!
He's sent out his CV's out to local companies when we arrived, the same time we got our SIN numbers, swapped our driving licenses and registered for the BC health card. He did get interest from 4 local companies and picked one and that was a great decision. Family company, willing to support him, we even went to thanksgiving to his boss's house and we are all good friends. He has been attending night school himself two nights a week to get to BC standards.
We saved and saved as you need the $50,000 for the two years upfront, we've spent a lot here, car cost us the most! It's scary spending your savings and we could have used for others things at home but we just wanted to do this and although it's hard from time to time, it's definitely worth it for us here.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 2:02 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
The student experience is fantastic. We live in Kelowna, about 4 hours drive from Vancouver, I'm considered a mature student at 33 but the class I'm in, although most a lot younger are really mature, supportive and friendly. My tutors at Okanagan College have been a brilliant support network for me I'm so glad I came here.
My husband was really lucky, he worked for British Gas as a service engineer, even though he's fully Gas safe certified in the UK the whole system is completely different here!
He's sent out his CV's out to local companies when we arrived, the same time we got our SIN numbers, swapped our driving licenses and registered for the BC health card. He did get interest from 4 local companies and picked one and that was a great decision. Family company, willing to support him, we even went to thanksgiving to his boss's house and we are all good friends. He has been attending night school himself two nights a week to get to BC standards.
We saved and saved as you need the $50,000 for the two years upfront, we've spent a lot here, car cost us the most! It's scary spending your savings and we could have used for others things at home but we just wanted to do this and although it's hard from time to time, it's definitely worth it for us here.
Exciting times- no time for cold feet! You need to change your profile now, no longer Yorkshire!
Old Nov 16th 2015, 6:13 am
Kelowna newbies July 15

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Exciting times- no time for cold feet! You need to change your profile now, no longer Yorkshire!
Oooooh yes I do Stinkypup! Thank-you! The mountains are getting covered more day by day! 😁😁😁