Reload this Page >

Midwifery placements in Vancouver

Midwifery placements in Vancouver

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

jenpen87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Midwifery placements in Vancouver

Hi there,

I'm a UK qualified nurse, 2 years experience and start my 18month long midwifery training in January. Really really interested in midwifery in Vancouver. Im heading out to Vancouver very soon for a month to "test the water" so to speak...so excited!

Could anyone tell me which hospitals and midwifery practices I could get in touch with in Vancouver so I can get a taste for both midwifery and obstetric nursing???

I've read tons of info but would be great to actually visit these places and get a better idea.

Thanks guys
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Cruella32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Midwifery placements in Vancouver

Not Vancouver but I used cook st midwives in victoria for both my births... their website is http://cookstmidwives.com/Welcome.html - if you get in touch with them maybe they would have some good ideas for you?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure that one poster is a midwife based in Abbotsford, BC - just a few miles outside Vancouver. Hopefully she'll be along before too long.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Here ya go: List of Vancouver-based Midwives recognised by BC Women's Hospital

And, more broadly: http://www.bcmidwives.com/

We thought Westside Midwives were wonderful (went with them this year): Westside Midwives

These folk also seemed really nice: http://www.midwiferygroup.ca/

Best of luck, Iain

Last edited by Iain Mc; Sep 3rd 2010 at 5:40 am.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:53 am
Just Joined

esandfor is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there, also try http://www.bcwomens.ca/default.htm, my cousin works there as a midwife whom i am staying here in vancouver with. they have a number of foreign workers in there team, as far as i know you need to do some sort of course in your field once you are here to qualify you to work. if you need any further help with specific questions then let me know and will ask her for you

regards
ebony
Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

jenpen87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the adivce everyone! Its gonna be a while before I'd be in a position to make the move, probably three years.

Thanks esandfor! Did your cousin make the move from the UK? What did she do for work in Vancouver whilst doing the Midwifery Bridging Program? Did she get any financial support as I understand it's quite expensive doing the course, then theres the exam, registration and visa fees...so pricey!! In a nutshell, how did she go about the whole transition and moving abroad. So many questions!

Thanks again everyone
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I am sure that one poster is a midwife based in Abbotsford, BC - just a few miles outside Vancouver. Hopefully she'll be along before too long.
That would be me

Midwives in BC are not 'employed' by hospitals as in the UK, but are self employed and have to apply for 'privileges' to be able to admit and discharge people to and from hospitals. Midwives in Canada also have a wider scope of practice than in the UK and see women up to 6 weeks postnatal. Obstetric nurses basically provide care in labour but are not meant to do the actual delivery - unless the doctor doesn't quite make it in time!

Are you looking for a placement in Vancouver in particular? Drop me a line via pm with your requirements and any questions

The midwifery bridging program is new - I did the old 'PLEA' system and it was extremely expensive - there was no government funding. It cost me about $15,000 in total. Things may have changed slightly now though.