Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

midwifery in canada

midwifery in canada

Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:44 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: midwifery in canada

Apparently in April 2009 midwifery will be covered by the provincial health care plan in Alberta. I haven't seen any details on how this would work though, and I doubt there would be enough midwives to go round if they suddenly become "free". Possible potential then for midwife jobs???

http://www.alberta.ca/home/NewsFrame...A9CB6A7DE.html
Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

No. As far as I understand, in most provinces midwifery falls outside of the provincial health care insurance plan. That is, if a mother wants a home delivery, with a midwife in attendance, she has to pay for it out of her own pocket.

For an Alberta example, see post #8 of this thread, in which Carolyn said she was paying $4,000 for a midwife.
From the 1st of April next year Alberta health will be covering the cost of midwifery services for those women who want to use it...

See here

And actually $4000 for a midwife doesn't seem too bad - I paid just over £3500 for an independent midwife in the UK 4 odd years ago (there is a long story that I won't go into here about why I wasn't using an NHS one)
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

That is good news. There are no where near enough midwives in Canada. In Bc I did my exams 2 years ago with 11 other girls (all trained overseas) plus there would have been some midwives qualifying from UBC, but the number of qualified midwives 2yrs later has gone up from 87 to only 92, for the whole of BC and I know there are only a few in Alberta.

The system to become a registered midwife in any of the provinces in Canada is expensive , long and difficult. NZ does better on that front.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by minimeeze
I completely understand the 'jumping through hoops' bit you referred to as I did the PLEA in May this year. Expensive process isn't it???

Where are you planning on settling? We are going to Abbotsford, BC, hopefully sometime soon!
I do not know where I will end up, but a friend of mine has said I can do my conitions at her practice in Prince George way up in the rockies. Some places charge you to do conditions apparently!!! and they use you like a dog!! Just to add to all the expense!!! I need to be earning from the moment of landing.

How long are your conditions and where are you doing them? The tutor of our UBC thing was leaving her practice in Abbotsford and that was one of the places I had in mind as there aren't many midwives in that area. The tutor offered me her place but as things worked out I couldn't go that soon. I was surprised I passed everything apart from the Breech OSCE and did not plan to go so soon. I only went as a fact finding mission and to sit the exams as a practice. It was the first sitting of the CMRE so there was no knowledge on what it was going to be like!!!
Old Dec 24th 2008, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Mike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant future

My wife has had 2 babies with a midwife in Prince Geroge in the last 2 years, the set up here is excellent and the hospital and doctors are fully behind the midwifes here (apparently not always the case).

The midwife we used (a german trained midwife) had some input into the new maternity unit here, so there is a special rooms with all sorts of gadgets in it!!

She is worked of her feet and turns people away all the time, so i'm sure there is scope for a few other midwifes here.

If you want me to put you in touch with her, send me a message and I will pass it on (she is a friend as well as our midwife). She also sits on the assessment boards I think too.

Cheers,

Mike
Old Dec 26th 2008, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike1967
My wife has had 2 babies with a midwife in Prince Geroge in the last 2 years, the set up here is excellent and the hospital and doctors are fully behind the midwifes here (apparently not always the case).

The midwife we used (a german trained midwife) had some input into the new maternity unit here, so there is a special rooms with all sorts of gadgets in it!!

She is worked of her feet and turns people away all the time, so i'm sure there is scope for a few other midwifes here.

If you want me to put you in touch with her, send me a message and I will pass it on (she is a friend as well as our midwife). She also sits on the assessment boards I think too.

Cheers,

Mike
Small world, my friend a NZ trained midwife (that is Canadian) has her practice in PG, and I plan to see her this year. She is worked hard and turns people away all the time. I need to see PG to see if I could live there, well I could but the rest of the family may not!!! Thanks for the info though. How deep is the snow?!!
Madwife
Old Dec 27th 2008, 12:16 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I love this thead! I am sitting OSCEs the end of January - one off limited to 5 IEMs offer for midwives in Nova Scotia. I am quietly bricking it. It isnt even an established route here as NS hasnt yet had regulated midwifery, so hitting the ground running in a province who is finding its way at the same time. A grand total of 7 midwives being employed for the next 2 years.......in the whole of NS.

I love hearing about this here!