Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mid Vancouver Island Meet Up

Mid Vancouver Island Meet Up

Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:30 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mid Vancouver Island Meet Up

I was wondering if anyone was interested in having a get together within a reasonable radius of Nanaimo later in November -- say some time around the 21st, 22nd or 23rd.

I live in Nanaimo, and would be happy to attend a small local gathering.

Alternatively, if BE members in the Courtney-Comox area were interested in joining forces with us, I think that would be nice too. If they wanted to join us in Nanaimo, they'd be most welcome.

But, if most people wanted to hold the gathering in the Courtney-Comox area, I'd be more than willing to drive there too. If Nanaimo folk would like to carpool to Courtney-Comox, I'd be glad to drive.

Anyone is welcome to join us from as far afield as they feel comfortable. But, since the meet up in the Cowichan Valley in August catered mostly to BE members towards the southern tip of Vancouver Island, I thought it would be fun to have an event a little further north.

Thoughts welcome.
x
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:44 pm
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mid Vancouver Island Meet Up

Good idea. I shall have to check out the dates.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Mid Vancouver Island Meet Up

Hi Judy,

I would like to come to a get together. I'm in Nanaimo now too.

Any of those dates are fine with me.

Sarah
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:49 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

good idea. but...

work is pretty unpredictable at the moment (i have to be grateful that i heard on thursday evening that i had to work today. ).

i work until 2.30pm on fridays - so the earliest time to be (not covered in sawdust ) somewhere in nanaimo would be 5.30pm to 6pm -ish.
if it turns out that i have to work on saturday i won't attend a friday evening meet-up either. as mentioned before that can be on very short notice.
there is a local thing on sunday afternoon which i could attend. i haven't made a decision about that yet, there are several factors playing into that.

i think the best way for me would be that the ones, who are meeting up for sure, should make out a time and place and let me know.
if i'm able to make it, i will. if i'm not able to make it i don't need to feel guilty about inconveniencing you guys.

Last edited by lof; Nov 2nd 2008 at 1:52 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:18 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Lof, if ellsie will be driving down from Campbell River and if the Nanaimo participants are willing to drive up in orderto meet her something like half way, the Courtney-Comox area might be the best compromise.

It depends who else chimes in and what their needs/wants are.
x
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:43 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Lof, if ellsie will be driving down from Campbell River and if the Nanaimo participants are willing to drive up in orderto meet her something like half way, the Courtney-Comox area might be the best compromise.

It depends who else chimes in and what their needs/wants are.
x
i appreciate that and if it works out that way i'm happy to join the crowd.

i just don't want a situation that people try their very best to organise around me / my schedule - and then me being the one having to back out on short notice. i would just not be comfortable with that thought.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:47 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by lof
i just don't want a situation that people try their very best to organise around me / my schedule - and then me being the one having to back out on short notice. i would just not be comfortable with that thought.
I don't think you should worry about that. Other BE members in the Comox area might come forward and be part of the gathering. Besides that, speaking for myself anyway, if ellsie was willing and able to drive from Campbell River to a more or less half way point, I'd be willing to drive to Comox for her sake.

But it's still early. More information about who is available and their needs/wants with respect to location will come to light between now and then.
x
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 3:49 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you should worry about that. Other BE members in the Comox area might come forward and be part of the gathering. Besides that, speaking for myself anyway, if ellsie was willing and able to drive from Campbell River to a more or less half way point, I'd be willing to drive to Comox for her sake.

But it's still early. More information about who is available and their needs/wants with respect to location will come to light between now and then.
x
I'm always up for a meet-up ..... not too bothered where it is
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:20 pm
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

Courtenay-Comox sounds good to me, but still not sure about dates as I am organising a teen party over one of the next weekends and I am still awaiting my schedule!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 5:10 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Hi all,

I was wondering how folks were feeling about a Mid Vancouver Island Meet Up this coming weekend (November 22nd - 23rd).

Saturday would be ideal for me, but Sunday would be okay too.

An important commitment has come up for me, and I am not available for Friday evening, November 21st.

I'm willing to do something in Nanaimo or in the Courtenay - Comox area.

(I noticed only today that it was spelled Courtenay, although people pronounce it Courtney. I didn't notice ellsie's spelling of it earlier.)
x
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:11 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Going once, going twice .......
x
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:30 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Going once, going twice .......
x
Hi, it's my daughter's 20th birthday this weekend & I still don't know her schedule (because neither does she, as usual ) so until she enlightens me I'm pretty vague about this weekends plans
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:46 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

I have been invited on what sounds like an awesome hike on Sunday. I don't have to go on it, but would like to go on it. So, really, the amount of time I have available for a BE meet up this coming weekend is shrinking.

If the response to the meet up invitation had been overwhelming, I'd have given it priority. But it hasn't been. I don't want that to sound accusing. We all have lives, as bananahammock's daughter's upcoming birthday demonstrates.

Although I was the one who started this topic, I'm willing to let the idea rest for now and resurrect it later, possibly even next summer.
x
Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:28 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

sorry for not coming back earlier. and sorry for not keeping all possibilities open for a be meet up.

i have to work this saturday. as mentioned before that limits my flexibility for friday evening / saturday appointments drastically.
in addition i agreed to partake at the local event i hadn't made a decision on when we first discussed this meet up. that cuts out sunday afternoon as well.

i still find it a good idea - thank you, judy, for making the effort to get it started somehow. it just seems that we mid-islanders are either to shy or to busy at the moment.