Metric Tools

Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Geordie86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Metric Tools

Hey Guys,

Quick Question! Is it worth me taking my metric tools over? (Socket set and such) or is it pretty much useless, ie imperial sizes etc?

I am not concerned about the costs involved and that, I am just curious as to what system is mainly used?

Thanks in advance!

Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Metric Tools

Originally Posted by Geordie86
Hey Guys,

Quick Question! Is it worth me taking my metric tools over? (Socket set and such) or is it pretty much useless, ie imperial sizes etc?

I am not concerned about the costs involved and that, I am just curious as to what system is mainly used?

Thanks in advance!

Half and half. So yes, there's use for metric, but you also need AF.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Geordie86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Spot on, Thanks!
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

How it works basically is that everything comes in from the US or is at least made with the US market in mind, so everything is listed in metric but in reality they are US measurements, e.g. you get nails that are 2.54cm long.

Obviously with electric tools you have to consider the voltage difference.

The main difference in Canada is the widespread use of Robertson screws. I had seen them before moving to Canada but they are the most common type of screw used in Canada. And they are superior to Phillips screws, imv.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 5:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
How it works basically is that everything comes in from the US or is at least made with the US market in mind, so everything is listed in metric but in reality they are US measurements, e.g. you get nails that are 2.54cm long.

Obviously with electric tools you have to consider the voltage difference.

The main difference in Canada is the widespread use of Robertson screws. I had seen them before moving to Canada but they are the most common type of screw used in Canada. And they are superior to Phillips screws, imv.
I dislike Robertson screws. Once the head has been mangled by the use of an implement other than the right sized screwdriver they're more difficult to drill and remove than Philips screws. Beyond that, the existence of this extra screw type means more complexity; everything is secured with one plain screw, one Philips and one Robertson, so every job requires three, not two, screwdrivers.

Nobody, of course, talks about 2.54 centilitre nails, no more than people talk about 455gram packets of butter. People work in US measures, talk in Imperial and report to the government in metricals.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 5:07 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie86
Hey Guys,

Thanks in advance!

Yes, Bring your metric socket set over. But, buy an AF set as well. Both systems are used, depending upon what you are working on.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

Bring neither unless they are snap on as it is cheaper to replace them than ship them. IMO
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Winston Green
Bring neither unless they are snap on as it is cheaper to replace them than ship them. IMO
I'm not seeing that. Suppose you have a container, it's got a space under the sofa, you shove a spanner in the space. The cost of shipping the container is the same so the marginal cost of spanner transportation is zero.

For it to cheaper to replace that spanner than to keep it, there'd have to be a fine price paid for used spanners in the UK, a higher price than new ones cost in Canada. The streets here might be paved with gold but they aint paved with gold spanners.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

If you are coming to work straight away at a trade most jobs require you to have your tools on day one. If they are in a container that is not always possible. Therefore people being them air freight. Hence cheaper to replace than ship. Not everybody has a containee either!
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

If you are coming to work straight away at a trade most jobs require you to have your tools on day one. If they are in a container that is not always possible. Therefore people being them air freight. Hence cheaper to replace than ship. Not everybody has a containee either!
But they're not likely to be for trade or the OP would know what sizes he needs. I think they're personal goods to which, I assume, he is sentimentally bound.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maybe but if he is a car mech or aircraft mech he may well need both as European and American models have different requirements. Just trying to answer the question asked with all posibilities. And I am yet to meet anybody with a sentimental attachment to a set of sockets! But it take all kinds to populate a world.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 7:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

And I am yet to meet anybody with a sentimental attachment to a set of sockets!
Oh.

Well, not metric ones, obviously, but I thought maybe the OP came of age in France.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 8:35 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Brought my 8 mm to 19 mm snap on sockets and ratchet. Done a few jobs on the Dodge caravan, and my Chevy, incl alternator change and they are fine and dandy here.

They dont even miss cheese or bacon. Go figure ehh.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:11 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Bring them if you can. You will need to buy more here anyway especially if your a mechanic - stuffs bigger

OH Hates Robertsons screws too, he'll be taking something apart and for some reason it will have a phillips screw, 3 flatheads and the last one will be a robertsons:curse:....I tend to walk away about now
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:48 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I think Robertson drive screws are great for woodscrews. You just need to use the right size driver bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.