Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Medicals Horsham

Medicals Horsham

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future
Default Medicals Horsham

Hi if any one has used Horsham for their medicals can they give me a quick run down on procedure and what they were like
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 6:39 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicals Horsham

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Hi if any one has used Horsham for their medicals can they give me a quick run down on procedure and what they were like
We did. They gave us appts in 5 days for 4 of us. They charged £150 each adult, £100 for our 19 yr old (student), and £50 for under 16 yr old. Then Xrays were another £50 each to be done at the local little hospital.

Over 16's have to have blood test which I believe is mainly for sexually transmitted diseases. Everyone needs Xrays.

We peed in pots, then filled in questionnaires on our medical history. Then we all went in together to small office (bit cramped!) Individually we were weighed and measured. Each person had their stomach prodded and heart/lungs listened to. The boys and dad were done first and sent out til only me left, but there was no special examination for me as a female. No questions re smear tests or anything like that.

We all kept all our clothes on except shoes, and in summary I would say it was money for old rope!!

We were then given "a discount" of £50 as we did most of the form filling and stuck our own photos on (with provided glue stick!) Then trundled off for Xrays and had a picnic lunch in the park before going home.

oh forgot to say.... you have to pay CASH, not cheques or credit cards! and you pay for the Xrays separately at the Hospital, where they didn't in fact seem quite sure how much we were due to pay as they admitted different ppl had paid different amounts, but refused to say what others had paid!!!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Aug 22nd 2005 at 6:42 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Thanks Morwenna that’s a big help seems strange that they only except cash do you think they are on the fiddle, did they give you any indication of a likely pass or a phone call when tests are back, I was reading on the doctors literature that if you want the results you have to pay another £30 for a return visit
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:02 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

I rang Horsham last week, to try an appointment, and they would not over the phone. Said they had to send their "pack out first" then if I still wanted to to call! "Still wanted to! " does she know when we get the medical requests we act faster than a rat up a drainpipe!! She was a bit off the women on the phone. I I asked for a rough time scale she said "about 2 weeks" i dont think she wanted 5 of us as hse said try Bristol!
I put phone down and rang elsewhere! I got their pack and all it was, was the forms B and C for CHC you can't fill , the doctor has to infront of you, so why bother sending them? Total waste of a day. I think they were worried that when you find out you need your "b***s felt and an HIV test you will chicken out!!

Anyway, there are very few in South and South West so we cannot be too choosy. We are off to Plymouth for 5 of us on 6th Sept, they said they were getting very busy.

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:11 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Morwenna that’s a big help seems strange that they only except cash do you think they are on the fiddle, did they give you any indication of a likely pass or a phone call when tests are back, I was reading on the doctors literature that if you want the results you have to pay another £30 for a return visit
No that's right. It says you cannot ring up to ask about tests and you have to pay for another "consultation" which is a bit much. Anyway, we thought the exam was so cursory it was doubtful anything major would show, so we just tried to forget about it once the meds were done!

The other gem is that it takes about a week apparently for the Xrays and bloods to be reported on and the results sent to the surgery, so they say about 10 days before the report is sent to CHC. I do feel you'd have to have your head missing to fail your meds there tho!

The chiefest reasons we went with them was they were quick to see us and only 20 mins up the road!

I just imagined the cash thing was to make sure they got their money and we didn't skip the country without paying!!?
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

They offered me an appointment for Wednesday but I was unable to make this date, i am tempted to pay the £30 just to put my mind at rest that every think is OK
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it was a long way back in the posts, but I was just curious what you are going to be doing in Summerland? Do you have relatives there or are you going to a job or what. Just curious as to why people choose certain places over other places.

Maybe you already said but I missed it. My girlfriend lives in Westbank and Summerland looks like a really nice place to retire. Not sure what it would be like for jobs though.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:19 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

We have ben asked to pay for the blood tests which are done privately in advance and the X rays I think, we can pay by check or visa. I think this is incase your cheque bounces and you leave the country! It can take ages to get payment from a person who bounces a cheque. We are emigrating after all!
All our tests are privately done and seemed a bit dearer that others have paid, but maybe this is so it is done quicker? I hope so . Most people who have had tests in London seem to say there X rays and blood test results are delivered in days to CHC? it hough that is why we pay what we do when we do/

QUOTE=Morwenna]No that's right. It says you cannot ring up to ask about tests and you have to pay for another "consultation" which is a bit much. Anyway, we thought the exam was so cursory it was doubtful anything major would show, so we just tried to forget about it once the meds were done!

The other gem is that it takes about a week apparently for the Xrays and bloods to be reported on and the results sent to the surgery, so they say about 10 days before the report is sent to CHC. I do feel you'd have to have your head missing to fail your meds there tho!

The chiefest reasons we went with them was they were quick to see us and only 20 mins up the road!

I just imagined the cash thing was to make sure they got their money and we didn't skip the country without paying!!? [/QUOTE]
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:26 pm
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of

I had the same experience as Morwenna,except I was on my own and I didn't get any discount for filling in my own forms. The Hospital tried to charge me more money than I had been quoted, until I pointed this out and they said that people had been given the wrong price but honoured it anyway.All in all not a bad experience.
Tony
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well we narrowed down are choice two years ago after travelling over much of BC to the Okanagan from there we found we kept coming back to Summerland nice community feel not to big and just a lovely place with nice people. As for work I intend Buying or starting a business ]
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Sheila and Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

First they perform a thorough anal examination, followed by a Diphalmal Spleenectomy, which involves removal of the Spleen and Liver.
These are sent to the High Commission for examination and returned if the application is successful. If you're refused entry, these are sold on the black market.
Next you're required to undergo a surgical labotomy and your small toe is removed.
The toes are kept on file in event you commit a crime or other misdeneanor. In these instances the toes are used in a voodoo ritual and eventually burned on a sacrificial pire.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:20 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Mike,

You should check whether they include the trouser-rummage (with warm/cold hand options) as was recently reported on the Canadian Immigration Forum, some practitioners are clearly failing in the quality of the medical.

As if no rummage is included, it can't be a true DMP medical, and without the appropriate trouser-rummage check-box being ticked, you may fail the med

Rich
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:16 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

Hi Mike,
a slow reply but may still be relevant
We drove all the way from Huntingdon to go to Horsham. They were the quickest to accommodate us and on Morwenna's account of them thought they would offer an efficient service.
We did not have to wait for the service packs but just produced the CHC documentation. They were very helpful and friendly on the day and the doctor was very much on our side if you get my meaning. No embarrassment for any us (3 male and 3 female).
There was a problem however when we went across town for the X-Rays which they put down to us not getting the pack ahead of time. We got to the X ray department without the forms we needed and so had to go all the way back again! This may well be why they now want to send packs out before accepting bookings.
All in all it was a painless experience except for the journey there and back!
Grrrrrr ..... British roads
Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

offwego is an unknown quantity at this point

You lot are lucky, we got the full works. We are already in Calgary on workpermits and have applied for residency. the notice for medicals came through yesterday and we all went to the doctors today. Me my husband and two girls aged 15 and 16. We all had to strip, adults had full exam including the back passage, children didn't have an internal to my relief, but had to have everything else. I think we got our moneys worth! We too had to pay cash. the doctor we went to only does immigration medicals.
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info had medicals yesterday Doctor was excellent would well recommend Horsham, No touch cough and drop though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.