Reload this Page >

medical issues

medical issues

Old Feb 5th 2012, 10:50 am
Just Joined

ellabella280802 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default medical issues

Hi All,

My family and I are considering a move to Canada, but need some advice before we even start the process.

We are a British family, currently living in France (husband, wife and 2 young children). We would like to relocate to BC (as I have 2 cousins that live in and around Vancouver). The main issue is that my husband was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondilytis 18 months ago. He takes injections once a week to control the condition and he is still able to work, and hopefully we always be fine to work (but who knows what will happen?).

With him having this illness, will it mean that we will be refused any type of permanent residency visa?

We do not claim any type of disability allowance here. If we are granted a visa, will his health care be covered or would we need to pay for his medication?

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old Feb 5th 2012, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medical issues

I suggest that you look over the following link.

Basically if the health condition could cause excessive strain then you can be refused.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ical/index.asp

This link outlines the procedures
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ical/index.asp
Old Feb 5th 2012, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks, I have checked these out before. I just wondered if anybody knew if this condition would be deemed as 'an excessive strain' ?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ellabella280802
Hi All,

My family and I are considering a move to Canada, but need some advice before we even start the process.

We are a British family, currently living in France (husband, wife and 2 young children). We would like to relocate to BC (as I have 2 cousins that live in and around Vancouver). The main issue is that my husband was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondilytis 18 months ago. He takes injections once a week to control the condition and he is still able to work, and hopefully we always be fine to work (but who knows what will happen?).

With him having this illness, will it mean that we will be refused any type of permanent residency visa?

We do not claim any type of disability allowance here. If we are granted a visa, will his health care be covered or would we need to pay for his medication?

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated. Thanks
Generally medications are not covered by provincial health care. Employers insurance may cover it after a waiting time, but they do not necessarily cover all meds, some of which can run to $ thousands per month
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:37 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Whether your husband would be accepted or refused will only be known after the results of his medical. The benchmark is excessive demand and if it is 'anticipated' the applicant would be a burden on the healthcare system, now or in the future, to a tune of $5000 or more per year.

Some medications are covered under the BC provincial healthcare plan Fair Pharmacare, however not all drugs or covered. Qualification is determined by income, there is a family deductible and family maximum before the government starts to chip in.

Extended healthcare can be purchased separately, some employers also offer this as a benefit either paid for, or subsidised. Not all employers offer this benefit. There is a waiting period after arrival before qualifying for medical coverage and some extended policies would either exclude or load the premium for pre-existing conditions.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 5:12 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar problem when I was applying for PR. I entered as the spouse of a Canadian citizen in 2006.

I have more than one chronic health problem, and as a result had not worked full-time, or in my former profession, since 1998. Like you, I tried to discover in advance, whether my specific conditions would stop me getting PR, and could not get an answer from anyone.

I had my first medical in the UK. The doctor I saw, was most unpleasant, and suggested I'd be refused PR. Perhaps fortunately, her medical became out of date before my application was processed and I had to have another one done in Canada.

The doctor in Canada saw no problem with my chronic health problems, since they don't actually make me unfit for all work, but he was concerned about scarring on my lung, from a bout of pneumonia in 2000. He told me I'd probably have to have another medical, but actually I was granted PR on the basis of his first medical, with no further problems.

We'd been in Canada 18 months before I was granted PR. The uncertainty about whether my health problems were fatal to my application, greatly increased the stress of waiting.

I have no idea whether my experience, that doctors in the UK are less sympathetic than in Canada, is typical, or whether I was just unlucky with the UK doctor I chose for my first medical.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 5:17 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Editha
I had a similar problem when I was applying for PR. I entered as the spouse of a Canadian citizen in 2006.

I have more than one chronic health problem, and as a result had not worked full-time, or in my former profession, since 1998. Like you, I tried to discover in advance, whether my specific conditions would stop me getting PR, and could not get an answer from anyone.

I had my first medical in the UK. The doctor I saw, was most unpleasant, and suggested I'd be refused PR. Perhaps fortunately, her medical became out of date before my application was processed and I had to have another one done in Canada.

The doctor in Canada saw no problem with my chronic health problems, since they don't actually make me unfit for all work, but he was concerned about scarring on my lung, from a bout of pneumonia in 2000. He told me I'd probably have to have another medical, but actually I was granted PR on the basis of his first medical, with no further problems.

We'd been in Canada 18 months before I was granted PR. The uncertainty about whether my health problems were fatal to my application, greatly increased the stress of waiting.

I have no idea whether my experience, that doctors in the UK are less sympathetic than in Canada, is typical, or whether I was just unlucky with the UK doctor I chose for my first medical.

1. Apples and Oranges, spouses are not subject to refusals under "excessive demand" The OP is applying as a Skilled worker.
2. The excessive demand threshold for 2012 is $6,141.00
Old Feb 5th 2012, 5:34 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Apples and Oranges, spouses are not subject to refusals under "excessive demand" The OP is applying as a Skilled worker.
OK. I didn't know that.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

If spouses are not subject to refusals under "excessive demand" does that mean if I was the one applying as a skilled worker, his condition would not affect our application?

How do I find out the cost of the drugs in Canada. I know what they cost in France (they far exceed 6000k per year!) but have found them on a US website for far less.

Thank you everybody for all of your help
Old Feb 5th 2012, 7:13 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by ellabella280802
If spouses are not subject to refusals under "excessive demand" does that mean if I was the one applying as a skilled worker, his condition would not affect our application?

How do I find out the cost of the drugs in Canada. I know what they cost in France (they far exceed 6000k per year!) but have found them on a US website for far less.

Thank you everybody for all of your help
1. No, spouses of skilled worker applicants are subject to excessive demand.
2. Sorry no idea.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 7:37 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Just out of interest: Since, as the spouse of a citizen, I was not subject to the "excessive demand" criteria, why did I have to have a medical at all?

During the first medical I had, in Manchester, the cow of a doctor had me strip, put her hand up my <snip>, and then started asking me questions about my personal finances, and whether I was planning to be dependent on benefits in Canada (my husband is a uni professor and I'm a retired solicitor). I cried all the way home.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 7th 2012 at 9:26 am. Reason: It's a family forum!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 6:46 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Originally Posted by Editha
Just out of interest: Since, as the spouse of a citizen, I was not subject to the "excessive demand" criteria, why did I have to have a medical at all?

During the first medical I had, in Manchester, the cow of a doctor had me strip, put her hand up my <snip>, and then started asking me questions about my personal finances, and whether I was planning to be dependent on benefits in Canada (my husband is a uni professor and I'm a retired solicitor). I cried all the way home.

Ah but spouses are subject to refusals if they have a disease or condition that is a danger to the public. Why didn't you complain to CHC about the treatment from the DMP? It is within your rights you know.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 7th 2012 at 9:26 am.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:13 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Ah but spouses are subject to refusals if they have a disease or condition that is a danger to the public. Why didn't you complain to CHC about the treatment from the DMP? It is within your rights you know.
I did intend to complain, but I didn't like to do so before I got PR, in case it jeopardised my application. Then it took 18 months to get PR, by which time I just wanted to forget the whole thing.