Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance or Travel Insurance

Wikiposts

Medical Insurance or Travel Insurance

Old Aug 27th 2018, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

sidjoloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Insurance or Travel Insurance

We have been in Canada now for almost a year over all, returning regularly for at least a fortnight to the UK every three months while waiting patiently for our sponsorship application to go through.
I have made sure that we have been covered with travel insurance every time we have entered Canada to cover at least 5M medical expenses. A friend over here told me that it is possible to just buy emergency medical cover which would make sense, why bother with all that baggage and cancellation cover?
I've looked online and asked for quotes, but it seems that traditional UK travel insurance (out of country) still seems cheaper than getting a Canadian insurance company to cover us for just medical alone? Am I looking at the wrong thing?
Does any one have any advice?
Neither of us have any existing medical issues, and I only expect to cover emergency situations.
Many thanks.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 11:02 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance or Travel Insurance

Originally Posted by sidjoloo
We have been in Canada now for almost a year over all, returning regularly for at least a fortnight to the UK every three months while waiting patiently for our sponsorship application to go through.
I have made sure that we have been covered with travel insurance every time we have entered Canada to cover at least 5M medical expenses. A friend over here told me that it is possible to just buy emergency medical cover which would make sense, why bother with all that baggage and cancellation cover?
I've looked online and asked for quotes, but it seems that traditional UK travel insurance (out of country) still seems cheaper than getting a Canadian insurance company to cover us for just medical alone? Am I looking at the wrong thing?
Does any one have any advice?
Neither of us have any existing medical issues, and I only expect to cover emergency situations.
Many thanks.
What type of sponsorship are you meaning - spousal? employer? Provincial? (or do you mean Permanent Residence application .. if so, which stream?)

You will struggle to find a UK insurer that will allow you to purchase whilst overseas and after your 'trip' has started.
The one aspect that an UK insurer will cover that a Canadian one won't is repatriation - which might be of use should something serious occur.
You could try some of the companies listed in our excellent wiki: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medical_Insurance-Canada

Which Province are you in? Do you have a temporary work permit by chance, or are you here purely as visitors?

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 27th 2018 at 11:05 am.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 3:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Travel insurance and travel medical only offer coverage for trips away form where you are ordinarily resident. It starts on the commencement of the trip and ends on arrival at the destination. You may want to look at Blue Cross medical, you do also need provincial healthcare. I doubt any policy you buy in the UK will cover medical in Canada if you ordinarily reside here. You may want to check with brokers to be sure. No pint buying insurance to find when you need it cover is refused.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 4:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Travel insurance and travel medical only offer coverage for trips away form where you are ordinarily resident. It starts on the commencement of the trip and ends on arrival at the destination. You may want to look at Blue Cross medical, you do also need provincial healthcare. I doubt any policy you buy in the UK will cover medical in Canada if you ordinarily reside here. You may want to check with brokers to be sure. No pint buying insurance to find when you need it cover is refused.

The one that may have was DownUnder Emigrants Insurance (linked to in my post upthread) which you can purchase as a 'one way' trip insurance with an additional up to 3 months of medical cover when in Canada. No good now though as the OP is already here.