Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

medical insurance options - visa ending soon

medical insurance options - visa ending soon

Old Oct 18th 2019, 6:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat075 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default medical insurance options - visa ending soon

So my WHV is ending soon, I've applied for PR (now over 6 months and still waiting) and I've applied for a BOWP to cover the gap. my situation is a little different to most as I couldn't get MSP because I don't have a Canadian job (work remotely for a UK company), I tried applying but they said I need Canadian employment. I've had travel insurance cover me so far but I don't know what to do when that runs out, I've been looking around for options but living in the UK I've never had to deal with medical insurance so I really don't know what to look for or who to look for.

any recommendations on insurance companies that will provide insurance for a non-resident? I'm in BC if that makes a difference.

what's the Canadian equivalent of someone like BUPA?
Old Oct 18th 2019, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medical insurance options - visa ending soon

Originally Posted by Pinnacle
So my WHV is ending soon, I've applied for PR (now over 6 months and still waiting) and I've applied for a BOWP to cover the gap. my situation is a little different to most as I couldn't get MSP because I don't have a Canadian job (work remotely for a UK company), I tried applying but they said I need Canadian employment. I've had travel insurance cover me so far but I don't know what to do when that runs out, I've been looking around for options but living in the UK I've never had to deal with medical insurance so I really don't know what to look for or who to look for.

any recommendations on insurance companies that will provide insurance for a non-resident? I'm in BC if that makes a difference.

what's the Canadian equivalent of someone like BUPA?
where you work or even if you don’t work should not make a difference, all B.C. residents must register with MSP. With WHV it is tricky but if you are living here, even on a temporary basis, you are likely a resident. Have you been filling taxes in Canada/BC?

I suspect you should be registered with MSP and paying the MSP premiums. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...t/how-to-enrol

i would give MSP a call again and try to sort.

pacific blue cross would be a good insurance company to try but the issue is two fold:
1) most travel insurance companies won’t cover you in an area you are a resident
2) most Canadian health insurance companies require you to be registered with MSP, Shen eligible.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
I suspect you should be registered with MSP and paying the MSP premiums. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...t/how-to-enrol
You suspect wrong

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...liday-programs

That page specifically mentions

Confirmation of your employment in British Columbia with
which I would take to mean that your employer has to be based in BC.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat075 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad

where you work or even if you don’t work should not make a difference, all B.C. residents must register with MSP. With WHV it is tricky but if you are living here, even on a temporary basis, you are likely a resident. Have you been filling taxes in Canada/BC?
regarding taxes i was told i don't need to because i work remotely for a company in the UK, my SIN isn't registered with any employment here it's just my physical location is here. only thing that changed recently they now pay me in CAD to my canadian bank account, before it was all done in the UK and i transferred money to my CAD account.

i would give MSP a call again and try to sort.
i will give them a call to see what they can advise but i'm pretty sure they'll just tell me what i already know!

pacific blue cross would be a good insurance company to try but the issue is two fold:
1) most travel insurance companies won’t cover you in an area you are a resident
2) most Canadian health insurance companies require you to be registered with MSP, Shen eligible.
i'll have a look at them to see if there's anything they can do for me. do i still need to look for "travel" insurance? that's the bit i'm confused on, i live here but i guess i'm still technically "travelling" as i'm not a resident yet.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 4:13 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

regarding taxes i was told i don't need to because i work remotely for a company in the UK, my SIN isn't registered with any employment here it's just my physical location is here. only thing that changed recently they now pay me in CAD to my canadian bank account, before it was all done in the UK and i transferred money to my CAD account.

i will give them a call to see what they can advise but i'm pretty sure they'll just tell me what i already know!

i'll have a look at them to see if there's anything they can do for me. do i still need to look for "travel" insurance? that's the bit i'm confused on, i live here but i guess i'm still technically "travelling" as i'm not a resident yet.[/left]
You may be required to file a tax return as a self employed person - you don't necessarily get out of paying taxes, you are a freelance worker I presume? I also do work for a UK company - remotely - my SI# isn't registered to any company here, but I still have to pay taxes, CPP, etc., -

It will all depend on your residency status for taxes. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...cy-status.html
and https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ce-status.html
and https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...nada-2016.html

You are not a visitor - you have ties to Canada, you have resided here for more than a year... you have a work permit (even if you have chosen not to use it) and a Social Insurance number, and a Canadian bank account - presumably you pay rent somewhere... I would double check if I were you!

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 18th 2019 at 4:19 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You may be required to file a tax return as a self employed person - you don't necessarily get out of paying taxes, you are a freelance worker I presume? I also do work for a UK company - remotely - my SI# isn't registered to any company here, but I still have to pay taxes, CPP, etc., -

It will all depend on your residency status for taxes. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...cy-status.html
and https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ce-status.html
and https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...nada-2016.html

You are not a visitor - you have ties to Canada, you have resided here for more than a year... you have a work permit (even if you have chosen not to use it) and a Social Insurance number, and a Canadian bank account - presumably you pay rent somewhere... I would double check if I were you!
+1 residency for tax purposes is defined differently to that for immigration purposes.

you are normally considered a tax resident in the jurisdiction in which you are physically present not where you work/who you work for. This is even more likely if your company pays you in CAD direct to Canadian account. Is that company withholding UK tax?
Old Oct 18th 2019, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Under what program did you apply for PR?

Edit:O I see it was FSW.

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 18th 2019 at 4:57 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Who told you this? Your lack of tax return might be a bigger issue than your health cover expiring. As a resdient of Canada (which you sound like you are) you have to declare all worldwide income and pay tax on it (if you pay tax in the UK you will get a credit for this).
Old Oct 18th 2019, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

He can file for previous years. It's not like it's going back a decade.
OP check it out with a good accountant and file if required to do so.