Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance for British columbia

Medical Insurance for British columbia

Old Nov 18th 2013, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Londonresident is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Insurance for British columbia

We are moving to Vancouver, BC on 28th December 2013. As the state health insurance does not start until 1st March 2014, as per our understanding we need to take out some kind of private health insurance for the whole family. We are a family of 3 (myself, husband and a 4 year old). I am pregnant but due date is end of March 2014.

Can somebody please suggest if we need to get the insurance from UK or do we need to get it from a Canadian company? I would also be grateful if someone can suggest a good insurance provider you have used when you arrived in Canada.

Regards
Old Nov 18th 2013, 3:11 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance for British columbia

Originally Posted by Londonresident
We are moving to Vancouver, BC on 28th December 2013. As the state health insurance does not start until 1st March 2014, as per our understanding we need to take out some kind of private health insurance for the whole family. We are a family of 3 (myself, husband and a 4 year old). I am pregnant but due date is end of March 2014.

Can somebody please suggest if we need to get the insurance from UK or do we need to get it from a Canadian company? I would also be grateful if someone can suggest a good insurance provider you have used when you arrived in Canada.

Regards
We are not a state - BC is a province. The US has states.

So long as you register before end of December , your waiting period for MSP is until the end of February. If you can purchase in the UK you may get better coverage, otherwise look at Pacific Blue Cross or Manulife here. You may not find that your pregnancy checks and any issues are covered though.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 4:44 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator

So long as you register before end of December , your waiting period for MSP is until the end of February. If you can purchase in the UK you may get better coverage, otherwise look at Pacific Blue Cross or Manulife here. You may not find that your pregnancy checks and any issues are covered though.
You know that "the state" means "government run/provided" right?
Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Amtobi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am in a similar boat. We will only be covered by the BC health insurance after we have been there for 3 months. We were advised by my employer to get our own health insurance. We have a BUPA policy from being in Dubai and I have checked that it will cover us in BC. I have been very happy with BUPA.

You will need to look carefully at policies with regard to maternity cover, on average the waiting period is minimum 10 months up to 18 months on some policies. I would also suggest looking at the new born cover in the policy, see if the baby will be covered immediately or only after they are enrolled on the policy.

I see that you should be covered by the time you deliver, but it maybe worth investigating options if you need medical assistance before the 1st March.

I would suggest sorting out a policy before you go, if you choose a UK based company check the area of cover.

Last edited by Amtobi; Nov 18th 2013 at 5:08 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator

Thanks for your reply. As orly said, I din't say BC is a state!! However that's not important. Will look into the insurances you have mentioned.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by orly
Thanks..
Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amtobi
Hi, I am in a similar boat. We will only be covered by the BC health insurance after we have been there for 3 months. We were advised by my employer to get our own health insurance. We have a BUPA policy from being in Dubai and I have checked that it will cover us in BC. I have been very happy with BUPA.

You will need to look carefully at policies with regard to maternity cover, on average the waiting period is minimum 10 months up to 18 months on some policies. I would also suggest looking at the new born cover in the policy, see if the baby will be covered immediately or only after they are enrolled on the policy.

I see that you should be covered by the time you deliver, but it maybe worth investigating options if you need medical assistance before the 1st March.

I would suggest sorting out a policy before you go, if you choose a UK based company check the area of cover.
Thanks Amtobi. No I am not looking for any cover for my pregnancy, as I am aware that my pregnancy will not be covered with any insurance. Any scans and blood tests I need we will have to pay from our pocket, which is ok (hopefully will not need many of them). Looks like we need to buy cover before we leave UK. I am bit confused, as stupid as it sounds do we need to buy travel insurance or health insurance?
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:03 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

yeah but it's just not a usual term in Canada.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

In 20 years in BC I have never heard anyone call govt services 'state'. It is provincial or government.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 11:57 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
yeah but it's just not a usual term in Canada.
Might be among British people here.

I use the term with my Canadian relatives and they know what it means.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Amtobi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Amtobi. No I am not looking for any cover for my pregnancy, as I am aware that my pregnancy will not be covered with any insurance. Any scans and blood tests I need we will have to pay from our pocket, which is ok (hopefully will not need many of them). Looks like we need to buy cover before we leave UK. I am bit confused, as stupid as it sounds do we need to buy travel insurance or health insurance?
It's your choice. Travel insurance usually has a component of health insurance as well, but it would cover other things such as delayed flights and lost baggage as well.

You would just need to check carefully on any travel insurance that it will cover you on a one way ticket. As travel insurance usually doesn't cover you in your country of residence. From what I can see they usually don't consider you 'resident' until you have been there a few months. I would just advise to check all the exclusions before signing up.

On the maternity front it would still be worth checking out the new born cover, because although you may not be covered you may be able to find a policy where your new born is automatically covered, in case you need cover for the baby before March. I would suggest finding a health insurance broker who can talk you through all the options. I have a good company to recommend, but they are Dubai based.

BUPA is a UK based insurance company. I would suggest checking out their website.

To everyone getting tied up in semantics... How about a little tolerance? For each other and new posters with genuine questions.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Dorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
We had the same thing when we arrived in BC 3 years ago and used Pacific Blue Cross to cover the gap. We even made a claim and they were really good with no fuss.

Provinces/States surely there are bigger things to beat your gums about to someone who just wanted some information - jeez!
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:31 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Amtobi
It's your choice. Travel insurance usually has a component of health insurance as well, but it would cover other things such as delayed flights and lost baggage as well.

You would just need to check carefully on any travel insurance that it will cover you on a one way ticket. As travel insurance usually doesn't cover you in your country of residence. From what I can see they usually don't consider you 'resident' until you have been there a few months. I would just advise to check all the exclusions before signing up.

On the maternity front it would still be worth checking out the new born cover, because although you may not be covered you may be able to find a policy where your new born is automatically covered, in case you need cover for the baby before March. I would suggest finding a health insurance broker who can talk you through all the options. I have a good company to recommend, but they are Dubai based.

BUPA is a UK based insurance company. I would suggest checking out their website.

To everyone getting tied up in semantics... How about a little tolerance? For each other and new posters with genuine questions.
Don't need a policy for the new born. They are covered from day 1 in all provinces (if born in Canada)
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Most (if not all) UK travel insurance WILL NOT cover one-way tickets or stays over 30 days.

If you've got it with your UK bank account, it certainly won't.

We went for Pacific Blue Cross as did the other Brits where I work. Cost us $681 (£420 with card fee) for 3 months/$100,000 cover (2 adults 44, 46).

If you open a bank account that gives you an Interac card, you will need to pay with a UK card as they don't take Interac. They do take Amex though.

You can buy it after you arrive.

Last edited by withabix; Nov 19th 2013 at 3:43 am.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Dorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Most (if not all) UK travel insurance WILL NOT cover one-way tickets or stays over 30 days.

If you've got it with your UK bank account, it certainly won't.

We went for Pacific Blue Cross as did the other Brits where I work. Cost us $681 for 3 months cover (2 adults 44, 46).

If you open a bank account that gives you an Interac card, you will need to pay with a UK card as they don't take Interac. They do take Amex though.
That's right - good point - we bought ours online in UK prior to travel with Blue Cross

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.