Medical Info

Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:14 pm
Boarder123

Default Medical Info

Has anyone had their medical yet?

I am wondering, what does the Doctor do to you, and how long does the examination last?

I don't really like going to the Doctor's, and Hospitals are even worse, so if someone could let me know what I can expect to happen, it would make me feel a whole lot better.

Thank you.

Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Info

Originally posted by Boarder123
Has anyone had their medical yet?

I am wondering, what does the Doctor do to you, and how long does the examination last?

I don't really like going to the Doctor's, and Hospitals are even worse, so if someone could let me know what I can expect to happen, it would make me feel a whole lot better.

Thank you.
Hi,

I had mine done here in the UK, and its effectivelly a full physical examination, and chest X-ray. Any treatment you may currently be receiving and any operations you have had in your lifetime is also enquired of by the Doctor. As for duration...less than an hour....

Piece of cake.....

Cheers
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Be prepared to strip off and things that are checked are things like reflexes (to test for neurological problems apparantly!), blood pressure, that horrible scraping the foot test (it makes your toes curl down which is a normal reflex), check breathing and pulse (yes, you must be alive then!), eye test, blood test for Aids (if you're an adult), urine test, height and weight. (Oh, and if you're female the breast exam added in for good measure!) There's a form the doctor goes through bit by bit. As you have to go to a designated doctor that regularly deals with immigration you'll find they're pretty efficient at working through the form. We didn't even have anyone else waiting and it took I'd say 20 mins. per person, plus another 5-10 mins. filling out the forms at the beginning for past health and family history questions. You may have your x-ray done in the same place or (like us) you may have to have that done at a seperate hospital. Although I'm in the US I was in the UK when we had our meds. and it wasn't too bad at all. The x-ray, apart from waiting around, was very quick indeed - didn't even have to lie down, just stand against a plate and that's it - got the results within 20 - 30 mins. We had our x-ray first so we could take the results to the doc. but you may need to check which way round it needs doing as I'm sure each place is different.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest CrazyDaisy, did you get your chest x-ray NHS, or do you have to do it privately?
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

goatee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
We had our medicals yesterday in Oxford UK. and yes you do have to do it privately, ie designated doctor and the cost is down to you.
we arrived at 9-15am had our blood taken and a urine sample.
we then paid the bill ( £203 for an adult x2 / £108 for a child x1 ).
then we went for x-rays after which it was 10-30am.We were told to come back at 1-30pm for the doctor to see us.
eyes/ears and throat.sight and hearing.all joints and breathing.
for women the breast exam and for the guys the never region..
sorry guys.
anyway all 3 of us were finished and out of there by 3-00pm.

hope this helps
Goatee
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Mr Lee
Just out of interest CrazyDaisy, did you get your chest x-ray NHS, or do you have to do it privately?
Privately I'm afraid. We were told to go to a private hospital. Cost around 70 quid if I remember correctly. The medicals cost another 80 odd on top of that.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by goatee
Hi all
We had our medicals yesterday in Oxford UK. and yes you do have to do it privately, ie designated doctor and the cost is down to you.
we arrived at 9-15am had our blood taken and a urine sample.
we then paid the bill ( £203 for an adult x2 / £108 for a child x1 ).
then we went for x-rays after which it was 10-30am.We were told to come back at 1-30pm for the doctor to see us.
eyes/ears and throat.sight and hearing.all joints and breathing.
for women the breast exam and for the guys the never region..
sorry guys.
anyway all 3 of us were finished and out of there by 3-00pm.

hope this helps
Goatee
After mentioning the breast exam I was wondering if guys had their own secret proddings too - you just answered my question on that one!!

We did ours similar to you in Cambridge altho' we had to go to 2 seperate clinics. Went to the private hospital for x-ray first early a.m. which was quick but a lot of waiting around (and I thought the NHS was bad!!) and then booked in to see the docs. that same day around lunch time.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I too have a general dislike for going to the Doctor but our recent medicals went very smoothly and efficiently and there is nothing to worry about in my opinion. Our X-Rays were taken at a local NHS hospital at a cost of £35.00 each.
Old Nov 24th 2003, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by stepnek
I too have a general dislike for going to the Doctor but our recent medicals went very smoothly and efficiently and there is nothing to worry about in my opinion. Our X-Rays were taken at a local NHS hospital at a cost of £35.00 each.
My gawd, you got a good deal! How much were the medicals?
Old Nov 24th 2003, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well the medicals set us back £140 each and I have to tell you that handing over the cash was certainly the most painful part of the medical!
Old Nov 24th 2003, 10:12 pm
Boarder123

Thanks Guys for your help. Now I know what I'm in for.

Old Nov 26th 2003, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Mike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant future

Not really an answer to the question but it seems a good place to post this!!

Does anyone know if having Asthma would mean failing the medical?

Mike
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

DaveExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mike1967
Not really an answer to the question but it seems a good place to post this!!

Does anyone know if having Asthma would mean failing the medical?

Mike

Mike

In the immigration section there are a number of questions along the lines "if I have condition X" will I fail the medical.

The general replies that people seem to get from the "experts" is that its impossible to be definitive as each case varies. But the key seems to be that the applicant will not be an unreasonable drain on the health system. Of course the problem is what defines unreasonable seems to be flexible and presumably depends on the reviewer to some extent.

Some people have suggested that medical conditions that are under control by medication will be OK.

So my guess is the best answer you are likely to get is that it won't automatically rule you out, but you will only know for definite by trying.

Cheers
Dave

NB I'm not an expert and am only reporting other people so take this advice with caution
Old Nov 27th 2003, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant future

Thanks Dave.

Originally posted by DaveExpat
Mike

In the immigration section there are a number of questions along the lines "if I have condition X" will I fail the medical.

The general replies that people seem to get from the "experts" is that its impossible to be definitive as each case varies. But the key seems to be that the applicant will not be an unreasonable drain on the health system. Of course the problem is what defines unreasonable seems to be flexible and presumably depends on the reviewer to some extent.

Some people have suggested that medical conditions that are under control by medication will be OK.

So my guess is the best answer you are likely to get is that it won't automatically rule you out, but you will only know for definite by trying.

Cheers
Dave

NB I'm not an expert and am only reporting other people so take this advice with caution
Old Nov 27th 2003, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

crazy daisy is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember seeing somewhere that the doc. has to rate you in terms of 1. being in good health and no risk of burden on health system, 2. some treatment needed but condition controllable, 3. would require expensive, long term treatment. The main things they look for are cancer, Aids and TB or anything basically that would require lots of hospitalization or could put other Canadians at risk ie something spreadable like Aids. I think therefore you'll be in category 2 if you're asthma is being treated successfully. Also, I'm not too sure on this but I think if you do fail marginally they may ask for private insurance to be taken out so you wouldn't necessarily be turned away even if you did fail (depending on why of course!). This is my interpretation but I think you'll be fine getting through!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.