Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Medical History

Medical History

Old Oct 18th 2001, 4:51 am

Jade is an unknown quantity at this point

Can a past history of cancer and having diabetes keep me from immigrating to Canada? Will they think that it will cost too much and not allow me to become a permanent resident? Thanks for any help.
Old Oct 18th 2001, 3:26 pm
David Cohen

>
    >
    >

There is a genuine risk that your medical history may result in inadmissibility in
an immigration application. The diabetes is not necessarily a factor, but a history
of cancer may be construed as potentially excessive demand on the Canadian health
care system.

Determination of medical admissibility is made by a Medical Officer in consideration
of all available information. It is therefore not possible to absolutely determine
this in advance.

If there is available evidence that your conditions do not pose a threat of excessive
demand of the Canadian health-care system, and do not affect your employability in
your field, then they may not be grounds for inadmissibility. Additional information
on this topic may be found at Campbell, Cohen's web site at the following URL:

http://canadavisa.com/documents/medical.htm
________
CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
[email protected] http://canadavisa.com

Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community

Old Oct 19th 2001, 1:27 am
Berto Volpentesta

Cancer and diabetes can both be problems.

With cancer, if you have been clean for 5 or more years, there is good = potential.

With diabetes, depending on the type and the damage that has been = caused.

--=20 Good luck,

Berto Volpentesta, B.A. (Spec. Hons.), B.Ed. Member, OPIC Director, OPIC and
Education Committee Chairman

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving people around the world since 1991

www.svcanada.com

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

Old Oct 21st 2001, 11:08 am
Just Joined

hopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

I have managed to find out that if you have had cancer, providing you have a 70% chance or more of disease free survival at 5 years, then you may be catogorised as M3.

I cannot help you any more because its very difficult to get any info anyone!! Seems to be a deep dark secret!!

Any way I have been for my medical 31st July 2001 and am still waiting to hear, I did get a letter from my Consultant at the hospital who said that my chances of re-0ccurence were virtually nil. So good luck to you!!