Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

medical cover in BC

medical cover in BC

Old Mar 21st 2006, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

mugginflapps is an unknown quantity at this point
Default medical cover in BC

we are moving to Kelowna on PRV in May. I believe that for the first three months we need to have our own private medical insurance. Is this correct and if so does anyone know of any good deals. There is just me and my husband

thanks
Old Mar 21st 2006, 6:58 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: medical cover in BC

Originally Posted by mugginflapps
we are moving to Kelowna on PRV in May. I believe that for the first three months we need to have our own private medical insurance. Is this correct and if so does anyone know of any good deals. There is just me and my husband

thanks
Hi - you need cover yourself (or be able to live with the risk of not being covered) for the duration of the month you arrive plus 2 months - so that can be 2 months and a day or it can be 3 months if you arrive on the 1st.

I have used - http://www.david-cummings.com/ and had no problems. I have never had to make a claim though. Good luck in May.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Hi - you need cover yourself (or be able to live with the risk of not being covered) for the duration of the month you arrive plus 2 months - so that can be 2 months and a day or it can be 3 months if you arrive on the 1st.

I have used - http://www.david-cummings.com/ and had no problems. I have never had to make a claim though. Good luck in May.
thanks for that tip, is all of the medical care free in canada, or do you pay any fees at all for anything?
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:22 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for that tip, is all of the medical care free in canada, or do you pay any fees at all for anything?
If B.C. is anything like Alberta most things are free. What's not covered are most likely prescription drugs, ambulance rides (unless it is a patient tranfer from one facility to another), eye glasses (eye examinations may be covered).

Here is the link to the B.C. Health Care home page and one for the Medical Services Plan home page you can peruse them at your leisure.

Cheers
Steve
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hangman
If B.C. is anything like Alberta most things are free. What's not covered are most likely prescription drugs, ambulance rides (unless it is a patient tranfer from one facility to another), eye glasses (eye examinations may be covered).

Here is the link to the B.C. Health Care home page and one for the Medical Services Plan home page you can peruse them at your leisure.

Cheers
Steve
cheers Steve, so glad I found this website!!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:31 am
Native Vancouverite

Susie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really nice

In Ontario and BC you need to pay a monthly premium for healthcare. It's pretty small, though, at (I think) about $30 a month. You're best off perusing the BC MSP site for exact details.

Check with your employer about coverage for extra services, like dental, eye exams, etc. They usually do the deductions for those type of things directly from your paycheck, if you choose that option. All of your essentials will be covered by the MSP, though.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:44 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

gotta say its excellent mugginsflaps. my company paid for my coverage.

i lived in north van opposite a clinic. i was never more than about 20 mins any time i visited.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Londonuck
gotta say its excellent mugginsflaps. my company paid for my coverage.

i lived in north van opposite a clinic. i was never more than about 20 mins any time i visited.
do you have to pay a premium, someone on the sight said that in BC you do.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Island_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud of

do you have to pay a premium, someone on the sight said that in BC you do.

In B.C., premiums are payable for MSP coverage and are based on family size and income. The monthly rates are:

$54 for one person
$96 for a family of two (you and spouse or single parent and one child)
$108 for a family of three or more

MSP does what is called negative billing you pay Aprils premium in March ect...

you should register for MSP as soon as you can once you arrive in BC as they are really slow in doing paperwork and you don't want to have a delay in coverage or receiving your care card at the end of the 3 month wait period.

MSP does not cover vision tests for adults but they do cover for children until they are 16 I think it is one exam every two years.

Dental, prescription, vision, chiropractor, massage therapy ect... are not covered by MSP but are under private extended plans through some employers most of them too have a three month wait time before they kick in.

Island Girl
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 2:26 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

what she said... hehehe

my chiropractor cost me 5 bucks a time. company paid 75%. havent been since got back to good old england. im starting to walk like ossie osbourne.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Good info Island Girl! As far as I know, Chiro & Physio are covered for a short period of time, but there are user fees attached to each visit that you must pay for.

mugginflapps, just in case if you haven't got coverage for medical, but can attend a walk-in clinic. You would pay $35. or $40. per visit. There are quite a few clinics in Kelowna that you can attend without having a family doctor.

Finding a family doctor can be tough sometimes, but there are general practitioners that are taking on new patients. If you're having problems, maybe drop one of us locals a line & we can inquire at our doctor's for you. I recently asked my doctor if they could take new arrivals from the UK and they said they would have made room in their practice (they also have 2 new doctors on staff).

Cheers

Oggy
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Island_Girl
In B.C., premiums are payable for MSP coverage and are based on family size and income. The monthly rates are:

$54 for one person
$96 for a family of two (you and spouse or single parent and one child)
$108 for a family of three or more

MSP does what is called negative billing you pay Aprils premium in March ect...

you should register for MSP as soon as you can once you arrive in BC as they are really slow in doing paperwork and you don't want to have a delay in coverage or receiving your care card at the end of the 3 month wait period.

MSP does not cover vision tests for adults but they do cover for children until they are 16 I think it is one exam every two years.

Dental, prescription, vision, chiropractor, massage therapy ect... are not covered by MSP but are under private extended plans through some employers most of them too have a three month wait time before they kick in.

Island Girl
thanks for the info!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 6:41 pm
Baz

Bazcop is on a distinguished road

Island girl is spot on.
This is our 4th month out here. We took private health for three months we were told that there would be a three month wait before we could get on to BCMed. After two months, I telephoned their offices and asked for a form for joining. The helpful lady there said that there wasn't a three month obligatory wait, just that it takes three months normally to process request. She told me that she would try and get me covered straight away, and if any of us found ourselves in hospital before the card came through - ie before the three months - then we were to telephone BCmed and they would look after us. Brilliant service! So we were covered essentially after two months. So the advice is, apply as soon as possible, and try to speak to a human being and not a robot! Premiums are as island girl quotes. Thoroughly recommend the group insurance which you contribute 50% to in your job - if they do it -it pays for dental, ambulance rides, private rooms in hosp., opticians, and for me, 80% of prescriptions after the first $25, plus other benefits like temporary disability payments, Life Insurance etc. I don't like advertising specific companies on the net, so if you want the company we dealt with for the private health cover, please email me privately and Iwill be glad to put you in touch with them (email)
You are coming to a great place and lovely part of it too!! I wish you all the very best. If I can be of any help re landing procedures or anything else please email me. Having done it all very recently, we are up to date with it all I think!
Kind regards
Bazcop
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

allie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud of

Just to add a timeline for you: I arrived 28th Jan, used my Annual Insurance for 1 month (a risky move as I would have had to return home within 30 days to make the claim so I didn't go skiing), used BCAA for 1 month ($120 including tax and extra premium for no excess), applied around the 4th March for my cover to start 1st April.

I already have my card (and my bill) and have found a GP to take me on - how much more efficient is that than the UK?!! [OK, apparently it was taking 8 months last year as there was a problem with the company subcontracted to do the paperwork, but it seems to have cleared up]

Last edited by allie2; Mar 22nd 2006 at 6:44 pm. Reason: noticed a mistake
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Island_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
Good info Island Girl! As far as I know, Chiro & Physio are covered for a short period of time, but there are user fees attached to each visit that you must pay for.

mugginflapps, just in case if you haven't got coverage for medical, but can attend a walk-in clinic. You would pay $35. or $40. per visit. There are quite a few clinics in Kelowna that you can attend without having a family doctor.

Finding a family doctor can be tough sometimes, but there are general practitioners that are taking on new patients. If you're having problems, maybe drop one of us locals a line & we can inquire at our doctor's for you. I recently asked my doctor if they could take new arrivals from the UK and they said they would have made room in their practice (they also have 2 new doctors on staff).

Cheers

Oggy
BC Medical used to cover a percentage of Chiro & Physio they cut them out about 2 years ago, not now only for those who qualify for Premium Medical (low income I believe income under $18000.00 a year) they get 12 visits at $10 each all of the rest of us it is our own dime unless you have extended coverage when BC Med dropped these from coverage a lot of extended plans dropped the deductible to $0 and most cover $500 per year for each.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.