Reload this Page >

Medical Cover?

Medical Cover?

Old Jan 4th 2024, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

RachRig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Cover?

Hi there,

My husband has a LMIA approved job offer and we are due to fly to Alberta in the coming weeks. We are awaiting the finer detail of his job offer and it's unknown at this point whether myself and 2 children (2 and 4 months) are included as part of his medical cover.

Assuming we are not covered by his work, what is the best way to go about getting medical cover?Note: I am currently on MAT leave in the UK so myself and the children are planning to travel on a tourist visa for 6 months before I return to the UK to complete my work notice period. (I will then return with the children and look to find a job myself).

I have looked on a travel insurance comparison site and the cheapest quote for good medical bill coverage is something like £1,800! Is this the best place to be looking or am I missing a trick?

thanks in advance
Old Jan 4th 2024, 8:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Cover?

Originally Posted by RachRig
Hi there,

My husband has a LMIA approved job offer and we are due to fly to Alberta in the coming weeks. We are awaiting the finer detail of his job offer and it's unknown at this point whether myself and 2 children (2 and 4 months) are included as part of his medical cover.

Assuming we are not covered by his work, what is the best way to go about getting medical cover?Note: I am currently on MAT leave in the UK so myself and the children are planning to travel on a tourist visa for 6 months before I return to the UK to complete my work notice period. (I will then return with the children and look to find a job myself).

I have looked on a travel insurance comparison site and the cheapest quote for good medical bill coverage is something like £1,800! Is this the best place to be looking or am I missing a trick?

thanks in advance
Hi, and welcome to BE.

If your husband's company doesn't cover you and the kids for healthcare then personally I'd think twice about him taking the job, that's a pretty basic thing, so I'm sure they will. But if your husband has a LMIA and job offer, then it would be far better if you entered as his dependents, so that you can then get provincial healthcare, rather than trying to enter as visitors. There's also a risk that you'd be refused entry if you try to enter as a visitor, with a husband that will be working there and such young children - the immi officer may not believe you'll be returning to the UK.

Travel insurance wouldn't be relevant from what you've said, you'll need Canadian insurance to cover you for the time between arriving and becoming eligible for provincial healthcare. If you have a Google you'll find lots of companies that do interim healthcare coverage for people moving to or within Canada.

Good luck.
Old Jan 4th 2024, 8:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

If your husband's company doesn't cover you and the kids for healthcare then personally I'd think twice about him taking the job, that's a pretty basic thing, so I'm sure they will. But if your husband has a LMIA and job offer, then it would be far better if you entered as his dependents, so that you can then get provincial healthcare, rather than trying to enter as visitors. There's also a risk that you'd be refused entry if you try to enter as a visitor, with a husband that will be working there and such young children - the immi officer may not believe you'll be returning to the UK.

Travel insurance wouldn't be relevant from what you've said, you'll need Canadian insurance to cover you for the time between arriving and becoming eligible for provincial healthcare. If you have a Google you'll find lots of companies that do interim healthcare coverage for people moving to or within Canada.

Good luck.
Also worth checking if the province will accept the medical insurance. We had to chose from a list of Ontario accredited insurance companies and yes it was expensive.
Old Jan 9th 2024, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

RachRig is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Good luck.
Thanks so much for your reply!!

Apologies for the delay, we have been waiting confirmation re: the health care. Apparently this is not offered as part of the job (small company) however we are assured we should be eligible for Provincial Healthcare after a 3 month period? We have been directed to the Blue Cross to get interim cover and that we can also continue cover with them for things not covered by Provincial healthcare by the time that kicks in. Does that sound about right?

Also, re: entering as a dependent, how does this differ? Someone has also suggested I apply for an open work permit at the POE at the same time he gets his. Although I am on MAT leave in the UK until the summer I do intent to work after I have worked my notice period. Do you know if I will be able to apply for an open work permit at this point?

Thanks so much!!!
Old Jan 10th 2024, 4:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RachRig
Thanks so much for your reply!!

Apologies for the delay, we have been waiting confirmation re: the health care. Apparently this is not offered as part of the job (small company) however we are assured we should be eligible for Provincial Healthcare after a 3 month period? We have been directed to the Blue Cross to get interim cover and that we can also continue cover with them for things not covered by Provincial healthcare by the time that kicks in. Does that sound about right?

Also, re: entering as a dependent, how does this differ? Someone has also suggested I apply for an open work permit at the POE at the same time he gets his. Although I am on MAT leave in the UK until the summer I do intent to work after I have worked my notice period. Do you know if I will be able to apply for an open work permit at this point?

Thanks so much!!!
Out of interest, what does the company offer? Even small companies would normally offer healthcare/dental. Hopefully he's on a good relocation package to make up for it.

Whether or not you can work will depend on what his job is, do you know the NOC code for it?