Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it me or...

Is it me or...

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:55 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it me or...

... is there a lot of negativity around today? I don't mean in a horrible, mean-spirited way, I just mean in a flat kind of way... I guess it could just be me

We are on our way out in a few weeks and I guess I am just getting nervous and seeing hurdles but am I ignoring the signs??

Hubby has a start date for his job in 5 weeks and I am coming out 3 weeks after cos we've never been ones for spending loads of time apart. However, we haven't sold the house and have to rent it out, which, although we have someone we trust in it, is a pain in the butt cos of remortgaging costs.

We need to remortgage to get some additional finance behind us initially - we were never going to have oodles of money to play with even if we did sell - prob just in the 6 figures to get us a mortgage, car and all the additional bits you need - shipping out as well...

However, cos we haven't sold we are kind of stuck - he has to start and neither of us particularly want to be apart, specially over Christmas. But there are issues about the costs and do we try for a higher buy to let with more fees for the extra money or do we run the risk and go for a lower borrow figure and not buy when we get out there and run the risk of losing out in the booming housinig market... oh my word my head is SPINNING!!!! :scared:

I know it's logical for me to stay behind and wait but it could be bloomin months at this rate!

I'm know i'm feeling sorry for myself and hubby and I are still sure this is the right thing to do BUT there are little niggling, nagging noises starting to happen in my head...

You can't make my mind up for me, you can't wave a magic wand but you can tell me that someone who isn't rich, will still have to have a mortgage (a fairly big one like we do here), no clue about leasing or buying a car (even after researching and reading all the great threads here til my eyes fell out!!), only one job so far (hubby's but i'm working on mine ) and just really likes the country and the people and really wants it to work can make it out there in the big wide skies of Canada... anyone??

Ki xx
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it me or...

Originally Posted by Ki76
You can't make my mind up for me, you can't wave a magic wand but you can tell me that someone who isn't rich, will still have to have a mortgage (a fairly big one like we do here), no clue about leasing or buying a car (even after researching and reading all the great threads here til my eyes fell out!!), only one job so far (hubby's but i'm working on mine ) and just really likes the country and the people and really wants it to work can make it out there in the big wide skies of Canada... anyone??

Ki xx
You will be fine, you want to be here, you already have one more job sorted out than most new immigrants do, the little details will take care of themselves in time. Have a blast!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:02 pm
Leg
Forum Regular

Leg is a jewel in the roughLeg is a jewel in the roughLeg is a jewel in the roughLeg is a jewel in the roughLeg is a jewel in the rough

Sorry, probably a little my fault as I started a thread asking for any negative comments.

TBH people are basically saying 'Its cold in winter, its expensive for utilities and you cant get the same beer'

So ill buy a big coat, frame the gas bills Ive had in the UK along with my petrol bill and bring em with me to put things in context and enjoy a Coors.

j/k
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leg
enjoy a Coors.
Im sorry...is that actually possible?

I think you'll find Alexander Keiths is the "beer out there"
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:05 pm
End of the line

IceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of light

Ki

I am sure that things will work out fine for you. It is natural to have last minute worries and niggles about everything.

Once the move begins then everything will fall into place. This time next year you will have forgotten all about it and be looking forward to the Christmas season in your new house, in your new country.

Good luck. I hope it all goes well for you. x
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:06 pm
Leg
Forum Regular

Leg is a jewel in the roughLeg is a jewel in the roughLeg is a jewel in the roughLeg is a jewel in the roughLeg is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by iaink
Im sorry...is that actually possible?

I think you'll find Alexander Keiths is the "beer out there"
lol I have no idea m8, I always seem to be the one driving when we are out there. In fact, I always seem to be the one driving when we are here too now I come to think of it.

Whats that all about?
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

flipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond repute

hi ki, i felt really negative yesterday o i know where your coming from. just remember what a great opportunity you have been given,look forward not back, it will all work out for you, good luck
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:27 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

I'd be worried if you didnt have concerns. Its a major move. But if its what you want and you're willing to bit your tongue at the sh*t and bureaucracy you'll face as a newbie then you'll do OK.

One job sorted is a major result, congratulations and enjoy the adventure.

As the advert says "Whats the worst that can happen ?"
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 4:06 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Ki xx

Hi Ki No magic wand but we're definately not rich & aren't fortunate enough to be mortgage free (I wish!!). We researched till we were blue in the face but there have been lots of things happen over the last year that no amount of research could have told us ~ you just have to be here .
We had one job also (hubby) but I found work in the same field as UK within a month although I didn't expect to so that was a pleasant surprise

I was one of the folks that probably sounded a bit 'flat' in my Anniversary/canniversary post last week but looking on the bright side, yes you can make it here ~ just be realistic and very patient!!
I'd heard so much about BC being expensive but for us (just MHO) it was the only option.........hubby's job offer/fear of freezing to death & in-laws on the other side took care of that . We have a great house in a good area, the kids are loving it, we are both working & now have a puppy so reasonably well integrated.......all done with slightly less than 100k (gbp) for me one of the biggest downsides is missing people but Skype is my therapy at the moment........................Don't panic, & remember to bring your sense of humour....you're probably going to need it
Attached Thumbnails Is it me or...-dsc01593.jpg  

Last edited by bananahammock; Oct 3rd 2006 at 4:10 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 4:06 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the supportive posts guys - just lately I need to hear it more often

But as for the advert 'what's the worst that could happen'... well, that's something i'm trying to push to the back of my mind or else i'd never go!! LOL

I'm good at being positive for other people and helping them to see things in a good light but turn it to me and, well, sometimes the duracel bunny runs a little flat
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 4:13 pm
Bright light!!

all done with slightly less than 100k (gbp) for me one of the biggest downsides is missing people but Skype is my therapy at the moment........................Don't panic, & remember to bring your sense of humour....you're probably going to need it [/QUOTE]

OOops I should have said 6 figures C$... no such luck with UK £ but that wouldn't change even if we stayed here

I have hear Skype is great`- i'm definately going to make sure I download it.

I hope I didn't offend you or anyone saying it was a bit flat and negative out there lately... I think it's just my perception at the moment LOL

Sense of humour - one thing I have in abundance
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 4:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by bananahammock
remember to bring your sense of humour....you're probably going to need it
Just dont expect anyone else to get it

Cute pup...thats quite the technicolour mess its made

SKYPE was known around here for the brief time we tried it as "CAN YOU HEAR ME? FOR ****S SAKE. STUPID THING!!"
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 4:15 pm
Bristolish expat

bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

don't do offended & I definately was flat as a pancake!!

Last edited by bananahammock; Oct 3rd 2006 at 4:19 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 4:21 pm
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by iaink
Just dont expect anyone else to get it

Cute pup...thats quite the technicolour mess its made
Ha, too true
If the pup made a mess like that I think she'd be in the vets by now eh?
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

... is there a lot of negativity around today? I don't mean in a horrible, mean-spirited way, I just mean in a flat kind of way... I guess it could just be me

We are on our way out in a few weeks and I guess I am just getting nervous and seeing hurdles but am I ignoring the signs??

Hubby has a start date for his job in 5 weeks and I am coming out 3 weeks after cos we've never been ones for spending loads of time apart. However, we haven't sold the house and have to rent it out, which, although we have someone we trust in it, is a pain in the butt cos of remortgaging costs.

We need to remortgage to get some additional finance behind us initially - we were never going to have oodles of money to play with even if we did sell - prob just in the 6 figures to get us a mortgage, car and all the additional bits you need - shipping out as well...

However, cos we haven't sold we are kind of stuck - he has to start and neither of us particularly want to be apart, specially over Christmas. But there are issues about the costs and do we try for a higher buy to let with more fees for the extra money or do we run the risk and go for a lower borrow figure and not buy when we get out there and run the risk of losing out in the booming housinig market... oh my word my head is SPINNING!!!! :scared:

I know it's logical for me to stay behind and wait but it could be bloomin months at this rate!

I'm know i'm feeling sorry for myself and hubby and I are still sure this is the right thing to do BUT there are little niggling, nagging noises starting to happen in my head...

Ki xx
Hi Ki we are in the same position as yourself so don't feel alone. We need to be in BC by January for job and have been frustrated by the UK housing market as well. We have buyers interested but cannot sell their own and as we have a higher end home have to wait in line.
We are like yourself and when we move to Canada it will be as a family. If we do not sell this month we have the option of renting to someone who is willing to pay a years rent up front but then have the hassle of releasing equity in the property to live in BC or leave the house empty and wait to spiring for the market to pick up.
I can assure you we feel the same emotions as you and it is comforting to know there are similar people in the same position. Hang on in there and it will work (eventually).

Paul & Sarah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.