Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Maybe I am just not employable?

Maybe I am just not employable?

Old Sep 27th 2013, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maybe I am just not employable?

With fancy I didn't mean posh or anything just a bit more interesting for an employer to invite him for an interview. I have read through many resumes to do pre-evaluations of possible candidates in my previous job. The problem is that all an employer has is a resume and a covering letter, no face, voice, character etc to help with the decision.

So if there is a resume that says "I have done a bit of baggage handling and weighing luggage" (which I don't suggest that J's does) and another one says "I have x years of experience as a Fleet Service agent and operational load control" then wording can make the difference of being put aside or invited.

I think Millie's idea is great. Find someone that has experience with Canadian resumes and ask them if they can help and read through your resume.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

TanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am starting to think that maybe I am just not employable in today's job market.

Aside from heavy manual labor which I cannot do due to back and knee issues, I haven't been all that picky about where I have been applying.

I looked through my notes today as I track every resume that goes out since if I need to get assistance, I know they will require proof of a job search.

I apply to basically everything from retail, fast food, gas stations, hotels, and pretty much everything in between.

I know my lack of education hurts me, simply grade 12, and 1 college class. And my work experience is limited, airline and hotel related.

But this is just starting to become ridiculous with no interviews coming in at all, usually I can get some, but this time around nothing.

I've always struggled in the job market, but have never experienced this level of difficulty before.
I feel your pain. I have been unemployed for 4 months now and have had only 3 interviews. I even have the all important "Canadian experience" on my resume (made using help from Monster for my target job).

I don't think it's a lack of jobs, I've applied for plenty, but that I seems to fall into a weird middle ground where I am too experienced for an entry level roll, but don't have the experience and qualifications for the next level. I have now resorted to taking a retail job and will look at going to school to bump up my qualifications (grade 12 only right now) in the new year.

I don't know what services are available out in NS, but in Alberta we have a service which offers free advice for job seekers where you can see a career coach and get your resume and cover letter critiqued. May be worth looking into.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
If you have worked in hotels before, can you not get back into that? Even if it is a slightly different role?
How about hospital staff?
Does your resume mention your health issues? How is it different from the last time you used it and were able to get interviews?
I am trying to get back into hotels, its one industry I spend a significant amount of time working on getting back into it.

I do not mention my health issues on my resume or to employers, I have been open with employers in the past, but its backfired on me too many times.

The only difference between my resume now and when I used it last and got interviews is location, Ontario vs BC. I never was hired in Ontario, but I got a good amount of interviews last winter when I was applying for jobs. I was like 2 hours or so east of Toronto. (Port Hope/Cobourg area in North Umberland County.)

I do plan to go back to school, I just need a job first to get my student loans in order, I am so far behind on them at the moment, I am blacklisted from getting anymore financial aid, until I have them paid up to date, and apply for rehabilitation with the student loan people.

I am going to an employment center next week, not all sure what they offer, but its free service funded by the province, I know they have counselors who can help with resumes and such, just not fully sure of their exact services, but it can't hurt to go and see what they can offer. I was trying to go to one that specifically deals with mental health people, but they are not responsive and ignoring my calls, so I am going to one open to anyone, they have thus far been 100% friendly and helpful on the phone.

And yes, the low self worth and low confidence does hurt me, and its something I am working on, and have help from a counselor, so I am trying to reverse the way I feel about myself.

I am a work in progress slowly but surely.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to Vancouver buddy. The job market here is pretty confusing. Most people I speak to are doing several different part time jobs, rather than one steady 9-5.

Why not research companies you'd like to work for, or ones that have a reputation as good employers, in a field you may be suitable. Find out who does their hiring and send a letter introducing yourself and outlining why you would be a suitable candidate for any openings. Include your resume.

It may be a long shot, but you're probably competing against way less people this way than when responding to job ads. Also Canucks seem to like this sort approach. And most of the jobs here are never advertised.

Good luck!
Old Sep 28th 2013, 12:23 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Why not try a college or university? They've usually got loads of stuff going on, from maintenance, lab work, bookstore, printing, food concessions, security etc. They don't pay very brilliantly but it might be a start and you'll get some benefits. Plus, you might meet some nice girls there.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

I can't say how Vancouver compares to TO, but why not consider an employment agency.

I am not at all a fan of them but they may help you to get your foot in the door.

I was in Canada for 3 weeks and decided to take a look for work. Contacted Adecco and a day later I was working. For sure I didn't like the job but I had income coming in. I started to get out there and getting to know people.

A month later the company employed me full time. A year later and I have now been promoted and it's so far so good.

I had no relevant experience in my current industry prior to getting the current job and I simply have a UK secondary education so for employability I don't seem much different from the description you posted.

A good work ethic will get you through and the agency may help you show your ability. You will build up to date references and gain valuable experience. If you're not fussy as you say then you should be able to get some work.

Ensure you customise your resume for any specific positions you apply for. Don't just send a generic copy regardless of the job. Ensure it's catered to what the employer wants. Specifically use any keywords they ask for in the ad.

Never talk yourself down and good luck!
Old Sep 30th 2013, 6:35 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

I am trying to get back into hotels, its one industry I spend a significant amount of time working on getting back into it.

I do not mention my health issues on my resume or to employers, I have been open with employers in the past, but its backfired on me too many times.

The only difference between my resume now and when I used it last and got interviews is location, Ontario vs BC. I never was hired in Ontario, but I got a good amount of interviews last winter when I was applying for jobs. I was like 2 hours or so east of Toronto. (Port Hope/Cobourg area in North Umberland County.)

I do plan to go back to school, I just need a job first to get my student loans in order, I am so far behind on them at the moment, I am blacklisted from getting anymore financial aid, until I have them paid up to date, and apply for rehabilitation with the student loan people.

I am going to an employment center next week, not all sure what they offer, but its free service funded by the province, I know they have counselors who can help with resumes and such, just not fully sure of their exact services, but it can't hurt to go and see what they can offer. I was trying to go to one that specifically deals with mental health people, but they are not responsive and ignoring my calls, so I am going to one open to anyone, they have thus far been 100% friendly and helpful on the phone.

And yes, the low self worth and low confidence does hurt me, and its something I am working on, and have help from a counselor, so I am trying to reverse the way I feel about myself.

I am a work in progress slowly but surely.
you've even tried like of walmart etc ?
Old Sep 30th 2013, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
you've even tried like of walmart etc ?
I've applied to Wal-Mart's within commuting distance on transit from my house, and so far no response, same with Target, I applied to every store in from Chilliwack to Richmond, and just got automated rejection letters.

I did have interviews on the phone with Home Depot and Save On Food's, but both ended up sending thank you for applying but at this time we don't have anything that meets your qualifications, please apply again in the future.

One was for a cashier position and one was a grocery clerk.

I went to a Bay store last week that had a mini-job fair, quick interview, so maybe something will come of it.

I've also started to apply for seasonal jobs in Whistler.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 7:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I've applied to Wal-Mart's within commuting distance on transit from my house, and so far no response, same with Target, I applied to every store in from Chilliwack to Richmond, and just got automated rejection letters.

I did have interviews on the phone with Home Depot and Save On Food's, but both ended up sending thank you for applying but at this time we don't have anything that meets your qualifications, please apply again in the future.

I went to a Bay store last week that had a mini-job fair, quick interview, so maybe something will come of it.

You're really making a great effort JS, I hope something will come up for you. If you haven't asked for feedback from the retail interviews, make sure you do. It will help you understand your weak points and address them.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 7:14 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

facial tatoos , nose piercing . 2 heads etc ???
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
You're really making a great effort JS, I hope something will come up for you. If you haven't asked for feedback from the retail interviews, make sure you do. It will help you understand your weak points and address them.

+1
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think they are compulsory for Wal Mart.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think they are compulsory for Wal Mart.
Obviously that is where I have gone wrong with my application to them then, not even a 'thank you for your application but no thanks'.

Do you think stick on tattoos would work?

To the OP, I totally sympathise with you - I have applied for almost 500 jobs in the last year and managed to get 1 interview, despite over 30 years of experience as an Administrator and having had my resume produced by an HR acquaintance. Still unemployed, sigh.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

Nope no piercings, no visible tattoos, normal colored hair, I keep it cut professional looking...

I tried a temp agency, did go through their process, but they emailed a form email today....Luckily I am used to these and no longer take them personal.

Thank you for sending your resume. The overall response was very high, both in quality and quantity, and the shortlist interview selection has been particularly difficult.

While your background and experience are impressive, some candidates had qualifications which more specifically met our clients' requirements. We are writing to advise you that unfortunately your application has been unsuccessful in this instance.

While at this time we are not able to assist you in your job search, we would like to thank you for your interest in XXXX Services and for taking the time to submit your application.

Please accept our best wishes for the future.

Yours sincerely,
Temp agency name here.. (I removed it)

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 30th 2013 at 11:49 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

lookingtogo is an unknown quantity at this point

JSmith - You are not unemployable. Some times it just takes different lengths of time to work through what you want to get to. Take the advice offered, but also don't let it affect who you are - and how you see yourself. We are wishing you well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.