Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Maybe changing my mind....

Maybe changing my mind....

Old May 14th 2014, 5:42 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maybe changing my mind....

I think the whole go and enjoy ya self thing is dependant on how many $$ are in the bank.

If you can go and live for 6-12 months on savings alone, do it!

If not, then just go have a week or two holiday now n again.
Old May 14th 2014, 6:49 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dodgeroo
I was due to head off to canada at the end of July in an IEC visa. I don't know anyone there and would be going alone and this fact has suddenly terrified me and I think I'm probably going to stay here. I have a decentish job here as a social worker and no signs of getting one there, it feels like it would be pointless to leave all my friends and family for a dream of going there and not being able to get a job. I feel sad that it's not going to happen now..... I just think I'd find adjusting with no friends really tough esp as I've read of others finding it so hard to make friends......

Any thoughts anyone? Anyone else felt this way?
It's called: "cold feet", the trick is to think about the positives rather than the negatives. If you think about negatives you'll never do anything.
Old May 14th 2014, 7:02 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

A year is nothing in absence - your life in the UK won't go anywhere. The potential of regretting "trying" is high. You risk nothing but gaining an experience which may lead to who knows what ... what's the worse case scenario? You come over, hate it and go back? Meh. Big deal. So you've lost some dosh in the finding out - but at least you'd KNOW ... Best case? You freaking love it, experience something brand new, decide to build a life somewhere ...

You gonna let fear dictate your life? Or just jump in the deep end seeing as the worst case scenario ain't all that bad, just a bit of money.

I say go for it ... bottom line ... what have you got to lose besides money?
Old May 14th 2014, 7:44 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

I was due to head off to canada at the end of July in an IEC visa. I don't know anyone there and would be going alone and this fact has suddenly terrified me and I think I'm probably going to stay here. I have a decentish job here as a social worker and no signs of getting one there, it feels like it would be pointless to leave all my friends and family for a dream of going there and not being able to get a job. I feel sad that it's not going to happen now..... I just think I'd find adjusting with no friends really tough esp as I've read of others finding it so hard to make friends......

Everything you're imagining is probably the absolute worst case scenario: that you won't make friends, won't find a job, that you'll have ruined your entire life by doing IEC. I would say your doubts are normal - it's a big change - but thousands of people do this programme each year, myself included. You're not alone! I also went out alone without a job to go to but fast forward three months, I had a job I loved, a lovely Canadian boyfriend and I definitely didn't regret my decision. There'll be bad times, sure, but you'd have them back home too. If you decide to stay at home, make sure it's because you actually want to stay at home and not just because you're scared of such a huge change.

Also, where are you heading to? You can probably put a message on this board and find other IEC-ers or other people who are already resident in that town so you can maybe do a meet-up. Join a club too once you're out there! And remember, if things do go wrong, home is only a short flight away and the bad times are never permanent!

Cat
Old May 14th 2014, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

dodgeroo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, I know you are right! comments have really helped... A lot of friends keep saying oh you are really brave and then saying they couldn't do it....

My qualification has been assessed by canadian association of sw as being equivalent to a canadian Masters of social work Bats, thanks.
Old May 14th 2014, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There are several hundred on the waiting list ready to take your place and are probably pissed that you got a place and are now thinking of not going
Thousands come over on the IEC every year for the 1st time and many are unsure. Facebook groups are set up or they contact each other on sites like these in the IEC threads.
Once you get to a certain age you always have doubts. If you have a decent job in the UK why give it up unless they keep the job open for you.
What guarantees will you have when you get to Canada apart from cheese being more expensive.
Its your decision in the end.
Old May 14th 2014, 8:32 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Once you get to a certain age you always have doubts.
I think that anyone under 30 who has doubts is some sort of worrywart. Don't children still believe they're immortal?
Old May 14th 2014, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute

Before I came out on IEC, that's all I got from people too...'I could never do that, you're so brave!".

Yes it was daunting, but I never really felt like I was being 'brave', the fact that I was doing something that I had always wanted to do was so exciting to me. I'll never forget that feeling of getting off of the bus in downtown Toronto, in this huge North American city knowing no one (lie: I was meeting up with my cousin's friend in a few days for a drink, barely knew him though). I remember walking up College Street after dumping my bags and feeling very overwhelmed, but also full of expectations! One funny memory I have is first walking into Tim Hortons (HUGE Canadian coffee chain) on that day and being overwhelmed at the choice of donuts haha, seems to stupid now. I was also really worried that no one would understand my accent (Scottish you see!), or that I would never get my head around the money, transport...CROSSWALKS!

Fast forward 1 year and 8 months, and here I am, working my last few weeks at my well paid, full time job in Vancouver, getting ready to say goodbye to Canada as well as some amazing friends in a month. And I regret nothing. There have obviously been downs as well as ups, but I'm so glad that I came out here. So much so that I'm looking to do the same thing in Oz next year.

Your fears seem to be based around your job and making friends:

1. You may not be able to be a social worker out here. However why not give yourself a break from your regular job and do something fun that you wouldn't usually do? Like work in a bar, get a job in Whistler, go to an agency and see where you end up? Think of it as a bit of a career break/sabbatical. I imagine that your job as a social worker is probably really stressful, give yourself a break, come out here and find an easy, no pressure job and have fun!

2. I live in Vancouver which is well known for being a little socially backwards. I'm now leaving a group of 15+ strong, good friends behind here. How did I find them? I lived in a hostel for the first two weeks and made some friends there. I then looked for an apartment share and moved in with 3 people, who I still live with, who are new my very best friends out here. Through them, their work friends, my work friends and random meetings we now have a great social group. You'll make friends, don't worry about that.

I really hope you decide to do it, it would be shame to let such an opportunity go to waste. I know some people who would chew their right arm off for that visa you have

Good Luck!

Last edited by mazmataz; May 14th 2014 at 8:44 pm. Reason: over zealous use of exclaimation marks
Old May 14th 2014, 8:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think that anyone under 30 who has doubts is some sort of worrywart. Don't children still believe they're immortal?
Why would anyone under 30 want to go to Canada? It'd be like going to live with your aunty who lives somewhere a bit shit.
Old May 14th 2014, 9:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Why would anyone under 30 want to go to Canada? It'd be like going to live with your aunty who lives somewhere a bit shit.
Well I plead guilty to going to the US when I was only 27. Bit of an adventure really. I didn't know it would be a bit shit because it never said that on the tele.
Old May 14th 2014, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well I plead guilty to going to the US when I was only 27. Bit of an adventure really. I didn't know it would be a bit shit because it never said that on the tele.
Before I came to Canada, I travelled around the US for a bit and one of my American friends who I crashed with for a while made this comparison, which amused me greatly:

USA: That friend that you love to party with! You are sure to have an amazing time with him, get up to all sorts of shit and have some amazing stories to tell! However, if you're looking for someone to bail you out of jail at the end of it all or help you move, good luck!

Canada: That friend who is usually the designated driver, wears the sensible hat. Always makes sure that everyone gets home safe at the end of the night and doesn't make you feel bad for it. Some would describe him as being a bit boring, but he's actually really interesting when you get to know him. And you can pretty much count on him in times of trouble.

Accurate or not...that's a matter of opinion I guess
Old May 14th 2014, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Heading out in a few weeks. I know two people in Canada, and I'm not expecting to be within a thousand miles of them.

Admittedly, I've been very fortunate, constructing a no-loss situation (year's unpaid leave from work), but you've got to look at the possibilities. If you stay, you know what you're going to have. If you go... who knows. Endless potential and possibility. May very well end up much of the same, but unless you wander into the wrong neighbourhood & get knifed, it's unlikely to hurt you long-term. Looking back in ten years at the regret of not trying could eat away.

My understanding of social workers is that there's always demand, and a high-turnover profession - so if you come back after a year, presumably you could get a similar job again.

Personally, I'd call it a year's experience, and that you need very clear and obvious downsides to decide against it, which aren't obvious from your post. But it's your decision - and you have to make the one that you'll have to live with, one way or the other.
Old May 14th 2014, 9:35 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by mazmataz
Before I came to Canada, I travelled around the US for a bit and one of my American friends who I crashed with for a while made this comparison, which amused me greatly:

USA: That friend that you love to party with! You are sure to have an amazing time with him, get up to all sorts of shit and have some amazing stories to tell! However, if you're looking for someone to bail you out of jail at the end of it all or help you move, good luck!

Canada: That friend who is usually the designated driver, wears the sensible hat. Always makes sure that everyone gets home safe at the end of the night and doesn't make you feel bad for it. Some would describe him as being a bit boring, but he's actually really interesting when you get to know him. And you can pretty much count on him in times of trouble.

Accurate or not...that's a matter of opinion I guess
Well, I don't go for clichéd homilies so I'm not buying that either.

North America in general is a bit shit. But I only know that because I found it out for myself.
Old May 14th 2014, 9:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be two types of immigrants to Canada. Those who come because of their careers and those who have left because of a relationship or to seek a geographical fix to some problem or another, be it, restlessness, boredom, relationships, financial issues etc. The former are the ones who seem to have a fairly balanced view and perspective of their situation and the latter who have an almost messianic need to justify their decision while being blinkered to the reality. I suppose it depends in which category you fall to begin with as to the advice you’ll accept.
Old May 14th 2014, 9:53 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Oink
There seems to be two types of immigrants to Canada. Those who come because of their careers and those who have left because of a relationship or to seek a geographical fix to some problem or another, be it, restlessness, boredom, relationships, financial issues etc. The former are the ones who seem to have a fairly balanced view and perspective of their situation and the latter who have an almost messianic need to justify their decision while being blinkered to the reality. I suppose it depends in which category you fall to begin with as to the advice you’ll accept.
Agreed, more or less, (you forgot the group who have a relationship with a Canadian met abroad and who have been chivvied into moving here). But the OP on this thread is an IEC visa holder. Not an immigrant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.