Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Maternity leave

Wikiposts

Maternity leave

Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:01 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maternity leave

Originally Posted by FredElliot
sorry to start the debate. I am unsubscribing from this thread due to nasty comments (again!!) and thinking of leaving the site. Wheres all the nice people gone!!
Awww, {{{{hugs}}}}, did the nasty aviator man upset you with his reasonable point of view?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Originally Posted by FredElliot
I have been searching on Wiki and the goverment website but cannot find the exact answer or dont understand so thought would ask you guys - no nasty comments please saying that I havent researched or unnecessary comments such as 'I dont know' needed please or thread will be deleted:-

so I move to canada, get job, then want kids - how long do I have to work before I am entitled to maternity leave / pay and what are the benefits on offer? Do I need to wait until I get Citizenship also?
to original poster, a relevant question IMO.

An article of interest on this topic and the need to support and encourage birth rates may be found here, lengthy read though.

http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?c..._105313_105313

so here's an edit;

In Canada, economists and demographers are already noting dysytopian, Children Of Men-tinged scenarios. Across the country, women on average aren't having their first child until the age of 31. Elementary schools and daycare facilities, without enough kids to fill the nap mats, are closing for business. Ontario's Ministry of Education predicts that, by 2010, total elementary and secondary school enrolment will drop by nearly 100,000 students from 2002 numbers. In New Brunswick, the province's death rate has overtaken its birth rate. And the economic implications of a disappearing population are substantial: analysts are estimating a shortage of 1.2 million workers by 2020. "For every two people about to retire in the coming decades," says Linda Duxbury, a professor at Carleton University's Sprott School of Business, "there will be less than one person to take their place, which will put significant strain on the health care system." Alberta, B.C. and the Maritimes are already feeling the crunch. "Demographers have known for ages this is coming," she says. "An issue like this takes decades to solve and we've really pushed the envelope on starting to deal with it."

Nor will immigration be the solution. At the moment, Statistics Canada reports that Canada's average of 240,000 new Canadian immigrants per year more than compensates for our dismal fertility rate. However, those studying long-range trends say this is nowhere near enough, particularly as global competition for skilled labour becomes more aggressive in the coming decades. "The numbers that we're talking about are phenomenal," says Duxbury. "Half a million to two-thirds of a million per year. I wonder, where are we going to get those immigrants from? Because most of the industrialized world is going through this same set of problems we are."
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:58 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

As the OP's account has been closed I am going to close this thread as she will no longer be able to respond.

Thank you to all for the helpful info that was posted.