Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Maternity hospital in Vancouver

Maternity hospital in Vancouver

Old Nov 28th 2013, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Londonresident is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maternity hospital in Vancouver

We will be moving to Kitsilano, Vancouver end of December 2013. I am expecting a baby end of March 2014. Can someone please advise which is the nearest maternity unit to us (also with good reputation)? Do pregnant women directly go to hospital and get appointment to be seen or is there something similar to GP surgeries who need to refer me to the hospital. Any other advise with maternity care in Vancouver will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Londonresident; Nov 28th 2013 at 2:02 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 2:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maternity hospital in Vancouver

Originally Posted by Londonresident
We will be moving to Kitsilano, Vancouver end of December 2013. I am expecting a baby end of March 2014. Can someone please advise which is the nearest maternity unit to us (also with good reputation)? Do pregnant women directly go to hospital and get appointment to be seen or is there something similar to GP surgeries who need to refer me to the hospital. Any other advise with maternity care in Vancouver will be greatly appreciated.
You will need to find a GP who is accepting new patients, of which they are few and far between. You may have to use a walk in clinic until you find one. No appointment, just turn up and wait your turn, you don't always see the same doctor though.

http://vancouver.about.com/od/neighb...ncouver-Bc.htm

Google is a wonderful thing
http://pregnancyvancouver.ca/find-a-...-new-patients/

Last edited by Aviator; Nov 28th 2013 at 2:48 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonresident
Upon arrival you will need to make contact with a GP. As stated already, this may be via a walk-in clinic if you cannot find someone accepting new patients in your area. In addition to Aviator's link, you can also search here: https://cpsbc.ca/physician_search That GP will be able to advise further re: OB referral etc, if he/she doesn't do deliveries him/herself.

BC Women's Hospital is close by: http://www.bcwomens.ca/Services/Preg...ns/default.htm

However, in BC there is a wait time until the public health coverage (MSP) kicks in, of the balance of the month of arrival + 2 months, so you are likely have to pay for any visits/treatment you receive before coverage kicks in.

Congratulations and all the best with the move

Last edited by adele; Nov 28th 2013 at 2:59 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations.
I'm currently expecting my first due on Jan 1.

As Adele has said, you will need to wait until MSP kicks in. In the meantime, you will need to pay for your visits. At my doctor's office they said you need to leave a cheque for $5000 to cover doctor's visits. Then there's additional payment for birth (up to $10,000).
You will need to apply for MSP as soon as you arrive in December. Make sure you do it in December because then your MSP will start on 1 March, so at least, you won't have to pay for birth.

Where you give birth will depend on where your doctor/midwife deliver. My doctor delivers at St Paul's, so that's where I will be giving birth.

Your first step should be a walk-in clinic (no chance of getting a regular GP at such short notice). I went to doctor J. Stein in Burrard (he's great) and he referred me to my current OB/GYN.
You can PM me if you have any other qs.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your reply.
Foreigngirl thank you very much for your reply, that is exactly what I was looking for. I remember you from the other thread I had started and was hoping you would reply to this. I will pm you for more details, thank you very much.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

CanadianDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved out to Langley 16 weeks pregnant, I had my MSP forms completed and posted them the day we arrived. Before we arrived I did get in contact with several midwifery clinics to get on their waiting lists but unfortunately a spot never came up for me, but I also went to a walk in clinic on arrival and they referred me to local mat clinic.

Keep all your receipts for any bloods, scans and visits to OBGYN you have as we were able to claim back on our tax return.

My biggest recommendation is to go to pre-natal classes, i made great friends through there, join babycentre.ca met some amazing mommies on there too and we meet every week, and if you can get a Doula it was worth the money (also claimable if they are registered business) Thanks to my husband and my doula I had the most amazing birth experience.

Good Luck!
Old Nov 29th 2013, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CanadianDreams
I moved out to Langley 16 weeks pregnant, I had my MSP forms completed and posted them the day we arrived. Before we arrived I did get in contact with several midwifery clinics to get on their waiting lists but unfortunately a spot never came up for me, but I also went to a walk in clinic on arrival and they referred me to local mat clinic.

Keep all your receipts for any bloods, scans and visits to OBGYN you have as we were able to claim back on our tax return.

My biggest recommendation is to go to pre-natal classes, i made great friends through there, join babycentre.ca met some amazing mommies on there too and we meet every week, and if you can get a Doula it was worth the money (also claimable if they are registered business) Thanks to my husband and my doula I had the most amazing birth experience.

Good Luck!
Thanks for your reply. This is what I was looking for, personal experiences from people as it really helps. We will fill the MSP forms as well and post it on the day we arrive in Canada. Looks like I will have to go to walk in clinics as well. Thanks for the other tips.
If I were to stay in UK I would have had just one midwife visit from now until end of Feb 2014, assuming everything continues to be ok. So just hoping will need to pay for just one visit from our pocket (also hopefully will not need any more scans and just routine blood test, maybe).

Regards
Old Nov 29th 2013, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

Don't forget that you can self-refer to a midwife, who has hospital privileges. I have done this with my three.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

A doula is a great option if you go the OB route (as opposed to midwife). Good luck. I am expecting, also.
Old Nov 30th 2013, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Lilipuddlian. Congratulations and good luck to you too. How do I self refer to a mid-wife, directly in the hospital or do they run clinics outside hospital?
Will that mean it will be mid-wife led delivery?
Old Nov 30th 2013, 6:18 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
Congratulations.
I'm currently expecting my first due on Jan 1.

Does that mean you're cancelling the New Years Eve party???

How inconsiderate!

Good luck
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Does that mean you're cancelling the New Years Eve party???

How inconsiderate!

Good luck
Not sure how they will feel about it on the maternity ward...

Thank you!