Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Masterclass in offending a Canadian...

Masterclass in offending a Canadian...

Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:18 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Masterclass in offending a Canadian...

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Masterclass in offending a Canadian...stand on the prairie in ski attire
That wouldn't offend anyone they'd just think "another dumb 'merkan".
Old Nov 1st 2008, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
That wouldn't offend anyone they'd just think "another dumb 'merkan".
Old Nov 1st 2008, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Our friend can be embarassing as he always mentions to the Canadian's that our Queen is on their dollar. but unfortunately this was to the immigration officer at the port of entry who was not amused and only gave him a 6 month work permit instead of a 2 year one
Old Nov 1st 2008, 10:12 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amardan
Our friend can be embarassing as he always mentions to the Canadian's that our Queen is on their dollar. but unfortunately this was to the immigration officer at the port of entry who was not amused and only gave him a 6 month work permit instead of a 2 year one
An even less street smart thing to do is to show up at an Australian port of entry and, when the immigration officer asks if you have a criminal record, respond that you didn't realize it was a prerequisite for gaining admission to Australia any more. I know someone who did that. He was allowed to leave the airport -- after every square inch of his luggage and his person had been searched.
x
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
An even less street smart thing to do is to show up at an Australian port of entry and, when the immigration officer asks if you have a criminal record, respond that you didn't realize it was a prerequisite for gaining admission to Australia any more. I know someone who did that. He was allowed to leave the airport -- after every square inch of his luggage and his person had been searched.
x
Superb.

I suggest to Canadians that their wine industry is not "world class" and that rattles a few cages.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 3:37 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

x
That one is fab.....My uncle went over some years ago to avoid some trouble in the uk......in those days it was good to have a record
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by G77
Ask them :-
  • Canada is a bit like America innit?
  • Would you like to be an American?

Both heard coming out of my Scottish father in law's mouth who is here to visit, to my Canadian landlord!

Comedy gold!
Heard from my FIL - "America is a mongrel nation - full of immigrants, no history whatsoever"...said to me, the Canadian (granddaughter of Austrian immigrants), who was also an immigrant in England at the time.

When I pointed out to him that Canada is full of immigrants also, he realised his mistake. Watching him trying to back out of it was hilarious.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

kastan is an unknown quantity at this point

x
I did the same thing 5 years ago when we visited Sydney,and the officer just laughed.I guess that particular officer did not have a sense of humour.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kastan
I did the same thing 5 years ago when we visited Sydney,and the officer just laughed.I guess that particular officer did not have a sense of humour.
Half the problem is that everyone still has the attitude caused by the last person they dealt with. They then carry their attitude on to the next person they deal with. I'll admit to doing the same at times!