British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Marriage in Quebec, uk guy and Quebec girl (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/marriage-quebec-uk-guy-quebec-girl-940006/)

Glendarino Aug 8th 2021 11:21 am

Marriage in Quebec, uk guy and Quebec girl

Looking for some advice or for someone who has done this. So me and my girlfriend have been together in a long distance relationship for 8 years now and she is looking to finally move here to the UK. Now I know about the spouse visa here but until we are married she cannot work here. So was looking to marry in Quebec so that when she applies and comes here she can work and we can build our lives straight away.
looking into marriage in Quebec seems fairly straight forward concerning getting a marriage license etc but it’s obtaining that is where I have issue. Would I have to fly to canada to be present for the interview to then fly back for the ceremony as the the publication has to be a minimum of 20 days notice. Issue being I cannot leave work for a huge length of time. I can send birth certificates and all that kind of thing but it just seems like another small obstacle at present. Any help or advice or experience would be appreciated. ​​​​​​​

Oakvillian Aug 10th 2021 7:13 pm

Re: Marriage in Quebec, uk guy and Quebec girl

Originally Posted by Glendarino (Post 13038370)
Looking for some advice or for someone who has done this. So me and my girlfriend have been together in a long distance relationship for 8 years now and she is looking to finally move here to the UK. Now I know about the spouse visa here but until we are married she cannot work here. So was looking to marry in Quebec so that when she applies and comes here she can work and we can build our lives straight away.
looking into marriage in Quebec seems fairly straight forward concerning getting a marriage license etc but it’s obtaining that is where I have issue. Would I have to fly to canada to be present for the interview to then fly back for the ceremony as the the publication has to be a minimum of 20 days notice. Issue being I cannot leave work for a huge length of time. I can send birth certificates and all that kind of thing but it just seems like another small obstacle at present. Any help or advice or experience would be appreciated.

My wedding was in Montreal, back in 2000; we were both living in the UK at the time but OH's family were in Montreal. Pretty sure we did all the paperwork by mail (would probably be email or through some e-signature portal these days), I think there was a phone call at some point as well, and then we met with the officiant - in our case, the chaplain at McGill - a couple of days before the wedding. Of course, it has likely all changed a lot in the intervening couple of decades, and I certainly can't remember the details of who we had to speak to to get all the paperwork sent over to the UK, but it's certainly possible for a UK resident to get married in Quebec without having to fly over in advance just to fill in a form.