Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is a marriage license sufficient for an open work permit application?

Is a marriage license sufficient for an open work permit application?

Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:34 am
Just Joined

vloop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is a marriage license sufficient for an open work permit application?

Hi,

My girlfriend and I have been thinking about getting married for a while. We decided that we would do so once she would get her Study Permit in Canada so we would not have to deal with foreign marriage certificate. I've just arrived in BC from the UK and want to apply for a spousal open work permit. We found out that you first need to get the marriage license then you have to do the ceremony and get the registration to finally get the marriage certificate. The license is only valid in BC for 3 months but it would be impossible for us to have a ceremony within that time frame (as all our relatives are abroad).

Is the marriage license sufficient for me to go to the border and get the open work permit as her spouse? We would like to just get that over with so I can get a job and save up money for our wedding.

Thanks!
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:48 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is a marriage license sufficient for an open work permit application?

Originally Posted by vloop
Is the marriage license sufficient for me to go to the border and get the open work permit as her spouse?
No.

We would like to just get that over with so I can get a job and save up money for our wedding.
If you've lived together for at least 12-months in a committed relationship, you'd be able to get your spousal open work permit on the basis of being a common-law partner.

You have to jump through some hoops to prove a common-law relationship. Any of these documents would help:
  • joint bank accounts or credit cards
  • joint home ownership
  • a joint residential lease
  • joint rental payments
  • joint utility bills (electricity, heat, water, telephone)
  • sharing of household expenses
  • joint purchases of household items
  • correspondence addressed to either partner or both partners at a single address
  • photos of holidays you've been on together
  • e-mails you've sent each other
x
Old Aug 9th 2008, 6:31 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is a marriage license sufficient for an open work permit application?

Completely off-topic, but Judy, did you know that a quote of yours starts off the "Vancouver and Victoria" chapter of Fodor's Pacific Northwest?

You probably do know that. I was just a little surprised.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:40 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Completely off-topic, but Judy, did you know that a quote of yours starts off the "Vancouver and Victoria" chapter of Fodor's Pacific Northwest?
I had no idea. Thanks for telling me.

You probably do know that. I was just a little surprised.
You were surprised? I am surprised.
x
Old Aug 9th 2008, 6:13 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Vancouver is situated in a gorgeous setting. You need at least one full day in Vancouver. On the other hand, it has so much to offer that you could spend a week here.
- Judy in Calgary
You should start demanding royalties.