Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A marmite question

A marmite question

Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice
Default Re: A marmite question

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Why this constant comparison between Marmite and Bovril? They are two completely different things, made from entirely different raw materials and used in different ways.
dont both of them go on toast???

and why cant you get Bovril here or not the real McCoy anyway. its that runny stuff!!!:curse:
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:59 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deanjp32
and why cant you get Bovril here or not the real McCoy anyway. its that runny stuff!!!:curse:
Because this is Canada not the UK and most Canadians coudn't give a damn about Bovril or Marmite. Why should they?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

you can get everything from mint sauce to pot noodles, walkers crisps etc as well as marmite so is it that bovril is a beef extract? it was a serious question not a critiscisim
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:03 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

you can get everything from mint sauce to pot noodles, walkers crisps etc as well as marmite so is it that bovril is a beef extract? it was a serious question not a critiscisim
The customs guys here get snotty about meat products. I once saw a woman get hauled over the coals for having a salami in her suitcase and I've also seen Agriculture Canada guys with sniffer dogs in the baggage hall. They were't looking for drugs.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

oh my, that's why i would not dare to bring anything like that in because it would just be my luck to get caught.

Last edited by deanjp32; Oct 29th 2008 at 1:58 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:51 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

The customs guys here get snotty about meat products. I once saw a woman get hauled over the coals for having a salami in her suitcase and I've also seen Agriculture Canada guys with sniffer dogs in the baggage hall. They were't looking for drugs.
Yet my MIL when she was alive (who wouldn't say sh*t if here mouth had been full of it) brought in a Melton Mowbray pie on one trip and plant cuttings along with a bunch of seeds on another. She just looked way too innocent..
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

kastan is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem with the airports there is no continuity with there procedures.A friend of ours returned back from a holiday in Switzerland via Vancouver airport,and smuggled a salami through customs without any problems.I am not saying what she did was right,but it does make you wonder what items do get through security.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kastan
The problem with the airports there is no continuity with there procedures.A friend of ours returned back from a holiday in Switzerland via Vancouver airport,and smuggled a salami through customs without any problems.I am not saying what she did was right,but it does make you wonder what items do get through security.
My ex attempts to bring salami, cheese, bathtub schnapps and chocolate from CH a couple of times a year. She specifically flies direct as she's never had any confiscated when flying into Toronto but did have to give up her salami sandwich in Chicago when routed through there. otoh customs open her mail and review the publications she orders before deciding whether or not to forward them. It's all a shambles but I don't think that's cause for distress, just don't tie up a large proportion of your assets in meat products.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by kastan
You are right that there is no obvious set of procedures. I do have a slight feeling that the randomness of it all may be deliberate.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
My ex attempts to bring salami, cheese, bathtub schnapps and chocolate from CH a couple of times a year. She specifically flies direct as she's never had any confiscated when flying into Toronto but did have to give up her salami sandwich in Chicago when routed through there. otoh customs open her mail and review the publications she orders before deciding whether or not to forward them. It's all a shambles but I don't think that's cause for distress, just don't tie up a large proportion of your assets in meat products.
I got grief for bringing a bar of Toblerone through YOW and not declaring it on my landing card as food.

Most of my mail from the UK gets opened. All my courier packages do.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:48 pm
Snickle Hubble-Sprinkles

The_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of light

So is suet....go figure