Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

maritimers -just like home!

maritimers -just like home!

Old Aug 5th 2006, 12:49 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: maritimers -just like home!

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
Oh yes, as I've been threatening to for months!
I do too .... I felt vaguely guilty when we bought it, as I felt it was rather excessive, and I've been thinking about getting rid of it ever since.....especially as I consider it's fire-engine red a cop magnet! ........ then I remember how glorious it was to get into a car with proper heating and heated seats on a cold Albertan morning ... and I say nah!!! I LIKE my jeep!
Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:05 am
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the red one too. Know what you mean about the heater, I went for a swim with a neighbour the other night in the atlantic - it was a bit chilly, we put the heating on full power and I could almost burnt my hands.

like my Jeep? I love it!

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I do too .... I felt vaguely guilty when we bought it, as I felt it was rather excessive, and I've been thinking about getting rid of it ever since.....especially as I consider it's fire-engine red a cop magnet! ........ then I remember how glorious it was to get into a car with proper heating and heated seats on a cold Albertan morning ... and I say nah!!! I LIKE my jeep!
Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
I got the red one too. Know what you mean about the heater, I went for a swim with a neighbour the other night in the atlantic - it was a bit chilly, we put the heating on full power and I could almost burnt my hands.

like my Jeep? I love it!

Swimming in the Atlantic.........must be a bit of maritime blood in those veins!!!! Brrrrrr!
Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:15 am
Dismember

Originally Posted by Corky
Swimming in the Atlantic.........must be a bit of maritime blood in those veins!!!! Brrrrrr!
Couldn't stand up when we got out, kept tottering about until I realised I couldn't really feel my feet...
Old Aug 6th 2006, 4:11 pm
Banned

truthspeaker is an unknown quantity at this point

ERR sorry to disappoint...but it actually appears that there is more than one person who doesn't rate NS as highly as the few who replied to this post...secondly for those who think an opinion cannot be biased...wake up and smell your breath..you are obviously talking complete sh*t..thirdly those of you who luuurvvee NS so much..i was just wondering how long any of you have actually been residing there. .. i doubt any of you have been there longer than 3 years..with ..perhaps with the exception of corky who from previous posts appears to be a little more honest than the rest of you...and finally for those people who pmed me..thankyou for your support..but perhaps other members of the forum would be better served if you too made public your views of ns and its expat community!

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I thought I recognised the ramblings of our B&Q loving Aberdonian. I'm sure he'll soon move onto the real horror of living in NS....forget the crime....the shops are'nt open on Sundays!!!!!!

AX
Old Aug 6th 2006, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

torticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by truthspeaker
ERR sorry to disappoint...but it actually appears that there is more than one person who doesn't rate NS as highly as the few who replied to this post...secondly for those who think an opinion cannot be biased...wake up and smell your breath..you are obviously talking complete sh*t..thirdly those of you who luuurvvee NS so much..i was just wondering how long any of you have actually been residing there. .. i doubt any of you have been there longer than 3 years..with ..perhaps with the exception of corky who from previous posts appears to be a little more honest than the rest of you...and finally for those people who pmed me..thankyou for your support..but perhaps other members of the forum would be better served if you too made public your views of ns and its expat community!
So, not only are there issues with NS but there are also issues with the expat community?

I've been trying hard to resist this thread but what the hell.... maybe you are right, others should bring forth their opinions.

OK, to better serve this forum I will air my views on life in NS, which until now have been kept fairly close to home. My wife and I moved here nearly 3 years ago in search of something different - guess what - we found it.

Life in the UK was good to us we both had solid careers paying above average salaries. A nice detached home with new cars regularly parked on the driveway in the middle of commuter belt. We had many friends, spare cash and an easy existence but we wanted more. We knew one day we wanted to start a family and we also knew that growing up the UK now would be far different than it was for us some 30 odd years before. All that said we wanted more from life than the 07.15 from Petts Wood to Victoria where after many years of sitting in the very same carriage with the very same people we never knew one of them by name. Crime and more importantly random crime was all around which added with the many other issues the UK was/is experiencing we needed/wanted to find better.

Over the course of 2 years we visited the usual Canadian hotspots (Van, Cal and GTA) but settled on the Maritimes for the people, the pace, the opportunity and the lifestyle not only for us but for the family we were starting (now started and I type CJ has just turned 1 month old)

Life here for us in NS is good as we both have continued in our careers, again paying above average salaries. A nice detached house and if common sense had not kicked in there would have been a nice new car (SUV) sitting on the driveway last week. We have made many new friends, have spare cash and like the UK an easy existence. So what's different - where do I start as for us everything is different, there is still crime but mostly it is not random so you can count yourself very unlucky to be mixed up in something here where as in London I felt like a victim waiting to happen. Actually, if you include the ar$e that drove/stole a new car off our driveway one night I was a victim, a victim that the Met police decided was just another statistic and not worthy of an investigation.

NS/HRM has many issues with drugs, beggars, crime and many others things but still far less than the UK in our eyes and most importantly (now) it offers a far happier, safer and easier place to have and raise a family. Chicken, milk and things like insurance can be expensive and if you are worried about things like that then I point you in the direction of the Australia forum, move there and leave those of us that embrace life Canadian style with all its ups and downs to do it in peace!!

In the time we have been here we have meet those that love it and those that move on and that is greatest thing about immigration - its a choice!!
Old Aug 6th 2006, 6:44 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by torticat
So, not only are there issues with NS but there are also issues with the expat community?

I've been trying hard to resist this thread but what the hell.... maybe you are right, others should bring forth their opinions.

OK, to better serve this forum I will air my views on life in NS, which until now have been kept fairly close to home. My wife and I moved here nearly 3 years ago in search of something different - guess what - we found it.

Life in the UK was good to us we both had solid careers paying above average salaries. A nice detached home with new cars regularly parked on the driveway in the middle of commuter belt. We had many friends, spare cash and an easy existence but we wanted more. We knew one day we wanted to start a family and we also knew that growing up the UK now would be far different than it was for us some 30 odd years before. All that said we wanted more from life than the 07.15 from Petts Wood to Victoria where after many years of sitting in the very same carriage with the very same people we never knew one of them by name. Crime and more importantly random crime was all around which added with the many other issues the UK was/is experiencing we needed/wanted to find better.

Over the course of 2 years we visited the usual Canadian hotspots (Van, Cal and GTA) but settled on the Maritimes for the people, the pace, the opportunity and the lifestyle not only for us but for the family we were starting (now started and I type CJ has just turned 1 month old)

Life here for us in NS is good as we both have continued in our careers, again paying above average salaries. A nice detached house and if common sense had not kicked in there would have been a nice new car (SUV) sitting on the driveway last week. We have made many new friends, have spare cash and like the UK an easy existence. So what's different - where do I start as for us everything is different, there is still crime but mostly it is not random so you can count yourself very unlucky to be mixed up in something here where as in London I felt like a victim waiting to happen. Actually, if you include the ar$e that drove/stole a new car off our driveway one night I was a victim, a victim that the Met police decided was just another statistic and not worthy of an investigation.

NS/HRM has many issues with drugs, beggars, crime and many others things but still far less than the UK in our eyes and most importantly (now) it offers a far happier, safer and easier place to have and raise a family. Chicken, milk and things like insurance can be expensive and if you are worried about things like that then I point you in the direction of the Australia forum, move there and leave those of us that embrace life Canadian style with all its ups and downs to do it in peace!!

In the time we have been here we have meet those that love it and those that move on and that is greatest thing about immigration - its a choice!!
Well said, and congratulations on the birth of CJ.

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 6th 2006, 7:45 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

I second what Steve (Hangman) said, great post and CONGRATULATIONS !!!

In the UK, Nr where we lived there were definate no-go areas (N.B. dbd33, a fact, not a racist remark) whereas here, there are "prefer not to go to" areas.
In the UK we were living in a rented 2 up 2 down for the equivilant of $700 p/m. Here we have 2 houses and 2 good cars.
In the UK, we lived in a supposedly good area but there were daily break ins and muggings, everyone knew 3/4 victims. Here, although i'm sure there are some, i haven't witnessed any break ins, muggings nor do i know any victims.
In the UK, i worked 70 hrs a week, Sheila worked 50ish but we were getting deeper and deeper in debt. Here, i work when i want to (ish) Sheila works 48 hrs as a nurse and we are debt free.
I could go on and on with comparisons but i don't feel i need to, it doesn't take a genius to work out where we are better off. No glasses of any shade of tint needed.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:54 pm
Dismember

Thirded...

We both had to work to survive in the UK and still went into savings most months. Now I'm staying at home with the kids for a few years while my wife works 8am-4pm each day for a wage comparable to her UK income. We too are debt free and will be mortgage free too soon.

We live in a nice house on 2+ acres in a quiet neighbourhood where the kids can play safely in the street and look out for each other.

I don't care what the muppet who started this thread thinks, my grass is greener by many shades...

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
I second what Steve (Hangman) said, great post and CONGRATULATIONS !!!

In the UK, Nr where we lived there were definate no-go areas (N.B. dbd33, a fact, not a racist remark) whereas here, there are "prefer not to go to" areas.
In the UK we were living in a rented 2 up 2 down for the equivilant of $700 p/m. Here we have 2 houses and 2 good cars.
In the UK, we lived in a supposedly good area but there were daily break ins and muggings, everyone knew 3/4 victims. Here, although i'm sure there are some, i haven't witnessed any break ins, muggings nor do i know any victims.
In the UK, i worked 70 hrs a week, Sheila worked 50ish but we were getting deeper and deeper in debt. Here, i work when i want to (ish) Sheila works 48 hrs as a nurse and we are debt free.
I could go on and on with comparisons but i don't feel i need to, it doesn't take a genius to work out where we are better off. No glasses of any shade of tint needed.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I recognised the ramblings of our B&Q loving Aberdonian.
Truthspeaker wasn't Beaverquest, just wanted to clear that up.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 10:48 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by truthspeaker

Believe me, nothing you can say will disappoint me..........

So whats your beef then? No profile, no back story, if you are here to contribute a valid point of view on expat life in NS then tell us about your experiences - they'll be useful for some I'm sure.

But that would be contributing to the debate. Too much effort probably for a troll eh? Much easier to post snide remarks and watch everyone run around in response. Well I supppose one has to find ones entertainment somewhere.......
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Hes probably a dreamer who cant raise enough points to get here himself!

Believe me, nothing you can say will disappoint me..........

So whats your beef then? No profile, no back story, if you are here to contribute a valid point of view on expat life in NS then tell us about your experiences - they'll be useful for some I'm sure.

But that would be contributing to the debate. Too much effort probably for a troll eh? Much easier to post snide remarks and watch everyone run around in response. Well I supppose one has to find ones entertainment somewhere.......