Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows/Coquitlam pros/cons?

Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows/Coquitlam pros/cons?

Old Jun 2nd 2015, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows/Coquitlam pros/cons?

Originally Posted by skilovernat
I wouldn't be working in Vancouver itself - so would only go there occasionally. Yeah - I was suprised at 10 trains/day on the WCE!!! The car is obviously king in North America.... I thought the west coast was more environmentally aware - but I suppose Europe is hundreds of years ahead in the public transport department.
North American city's tend to not have very high population density, and when it comes to Canada there are 30 some odd million spread over a huge land mass, and in BC only what something like 4.4 million in the entire province, and you just don't have the population density to have large trains running all day everyday.

Transit is geared to get people into downtown from the burbs for work, and back out of downtown to go home, outside of those hours, the demand isn't there for those trains, and they are pricey to run, and transit money scarce.

People need to live closer to work and not commute these huge distances for work.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

skilovernat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

People need to live closer to work and not commute these huge distances for work.
Fair enough - I wondered whether those trains would be jam packed in the mornings/evenings. Anyway - I won't be commuting to downtown anyway - so a moot point. I guess lots of people don't want to live in a tiny apartment block and hence they chose to live further out.

I'm commuting for 1 hour across London, UK for work at the moment - but it's part of the reason I'm leaving - so there is no way I'll be working too far from where I live - hence the thread.

Very helpful replies re: Langley/MR etc... Out of these areas which one has the easiest access to green spaces where I can spend my time off? I'm guessing MR (loving the fact about how much wildlife there is around!)
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough - I wondered whether those trains would be jam packed in the mornings/evenings. Anyway - I won't be commuting to downtown anyway - so a moot point. I guess lots of people don't want to live in a tiny apartment block and hence they chose to live further out.

I'm commuting for 1 hour across London, UK for work at the moment - but it's part of the reason I'm leaving - so there is no way I'll be working too far from where I live - hence the thread.

Very helpful replies re: Langley/MR etc... Out of these areas which one has the easiest access to green spaces where I can spend my time off? I'm guessing MR (loving the fact about how much wildlife there is around!)
The trains can be full from Coquitlam into Vancouver which is where the bulk of the riders get on and off.

I used to take it Mission to Vancouver, and I never saw the trains packed, always a seat to be found, full yes, but not packed to the gills like sardines.

It became too costly for me, so I had to revert to buses which was a long trek, 2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on time of day.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Sounds terrible Jsmth321 - 5 hours/day travelling enough to drive anyone crazy. How was it living in Mission (when you were actually there)?
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

Sounds terrible Jsmth321 - 5 hours/day travelling enough to drive anyone crazy. How was it living in Mission (when you were actually there)?
Not too exciting, it's pretty small and a bit red neck in my view, not much there, have to go into Abbotsford or MR for most things.

The commute may have even been longer, I went Maple Ridge from the last stop in MR way out east to YVR-South terminal.

I got a ride to the bus stop, then took 701 to Coquitlam, then 160 to Vancouver, then the Canada Line to Bridgeport in Richmond, and then the C92.

I started work at 7am and first bus left around 4:15am and if all went well and nothing was late (I missed a 160 more then once because of traffic) I'd arrive around 630am.

Google says the trip takes 2hr and 26 minutes.

Google says 55 mins to 1 hour 10 mins by car.

If taking transit just to downtown, it takes around 1 hour 37 mins to just shy of 2 hours depending how you go.

Transit from MR is just a long long day and not worth it if your having to commute into the city.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 2nd 2015 at 2:55 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be working in Vancouver itself - so would only go there occasionally. Yeah - I was suprised at 10 trains/day on the WCE!!! The car is obviously king in North America.... I thought the west coast was more environmentally aware - but I suppose Europe is hundreds of years ahead in the public transport department.
If you want to rely on transit to get around, don't move to Maple Ridge or Mission - these places have cheaper properties but also a lower population density, a more homogenous demographic (white North American suburbanite consumerists) comparatively speaking to Vancouver, and people who typically move there aren't people who are seeking environmentally friendly public transit lifestyles - they're seeking large cheaper properties, but at the expense of the culture and amenities and that mindset and community that you'd find closer to Vancouver. Vancouver is fairly environmentally friendly compared to elsewhere, but the further you go from the city, the less that is true. Vancouver has purposefully been discouraging the use of the cars (removing parking garages from downtown), charging for street meter parking 7 days a week), investing in public transit, rapid transit, and bike lanes, and so on. Due to Vancouver's high population density, you can live quite well without having to use a car. Maple Ridge is really a different place with different values - I notice it each time I need to visit. It may as well be small town USA.

Last edited by Lychee; Jun 2nd 2015 at 3:33 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

By comparison, Burnaby has higher population density so public transit is much more efficient, and you could strategically move somewhere near a Skytrain line and not need to use a car. There's a more urban feel to Burnaby with a large Asian demographic with restaurants to match. Langley is suburban and white by comparison, a place where you notice a lot of young mothers, where kids graduate high school and get married and settle down, and you would definitely need a car to get around. It is a car culture in Langley. A nice place - pastoral, quaint in areas, but extremely suburban sprawl-y. If you're seeking a suburban lifestyle where you need a car for everything, you don't mind chain restaurants, big box stores, and strip malls, Langley, Maple Ridge, Mission, etc. may be okay. If you want public transit, diversity of demographics, restaurants, more of an urban feel, Burnaby, Richmond, or Vancouver proper should be seriously considered. There are many micro cultures within Metro Vancouver. Don't underestimate that.

Last edited by Lychee; Jun 2nd 2015 at 3:41 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

skilovernat, perhaps if you listed a brief criteria of what you're seeking (ex: local culture, types of shops, walking distance to amenities, types of amenities, local values, public transit options, the atmosphere of the place), we can point you in the right direction. Ideally, as you are not locked down, what lifestyle do you hope to live? Describe it for us!
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

I now live in the NE corner of Maple Ridge and can get to or from work in Walnut Grove in 20 minutes flat, sometimes even less.

That's faster than I could get there from the south or east sides of Langley.

OK, my employer has to pay $6 per day in tolls for that, so I don't have to factor that in.

Yes, there are traffic jams in two or three locations in Maple Ridge, but they are mainly caused by poorly sequenced traffic signals rather than lack of road capacity and are very easy to avoid, it's just that most people seem to like sitting in the jams rather than being a little more creative in their choice of route.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 5:34 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
That is a matter of opinion!

Another opinion is that Langley is overcrowded, has far too much traffic and unless you live close to a HW1 intersection, takes a long time to get anywhere...

Everything built in the last 10 years (i.e. north of 64 Ave) are identikit matchbox houses on tiny plots.
Very true. Although i do like the new subdivision that's just been built off the haney bypass in the carpark by the woods near the Hot Tub place and that Shelter of folks who don't have much.

Looks kind of like a slightly more damp Brazilian Favela
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Although i do like the new subdivision that's just been built off the haney bypass in the carpark by the woods near the Hot Tub place and that Shelter of folks who don't have much.

Looks kind of like a slightly more damp Brazilian Favela

It was built to a design first used near the bus interchange in downtown Langley

Lets face it, every single large community in the Lower Mainland has at least two of these.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 6:02 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
It was built to a design first used near the bus interchange in downtown Langley

Lets face it, every single large community in the Lower Mainland has at least two of these.
Not sure, i don't use buses
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

But for areas like Coquitlam and Port Moody, there is a new Sky train completing in 2016.

I ASSUME this will improve the commuting options for people near stations?

They are also closer than MR or Langley
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dishwashing
But for areas like Coquitlam and Port Moody, there is a new Sky train completing in 2016.

I ASSUME this will improve the commuting options for people near stations?

They are also closer than MR or Langley
And far more expensive because they are getting a Skytrain Station...

I'd still take Maple Ridge for the less un-affordable 3000 square foot Single Family Home that everyone in BC thinks they should have.

But then I don't need to commute to Vancouver!

Compare that to my 800-900 square foot 3 bedroom Detached House that I had in the UK that was adequate in size But apparently it is actually impossible to live in anything that small in Canada....

Last edited by withabix; Jun 2nd 2015 at 10:32 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lychee
skilovernat, perhaps if you listed a brief criteria of what you're seeking (ex: local culture, types of shops, walking distance to amenities, types of amenities, local values, public transit options, the atmosphere of the place), we can point you in the right direction. Ideally, as you are not locked down, what lifestyle do you hope to live? Describe it for us!
Detached house.
Big wide streets.
Not hearing your neighbour (currently we can hear our neighbour's snoring/TV urgh!!!).
Green open spaces ideally within walking distance so I can cycle/run/walk the theoretical dog.
Easy access to kayaking/fishing/boating/moutain biking.
Less than 2 hours to ski.

In a place with lots of independent cafés/restaurants/arts scene... not just chains.

Realistic?...

Or am I asking too much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.