Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Maple Ridge OR Maple Ditch??

Maple Ridge OR Maple Ditch??

Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:09 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Maple Ridge OR Maple Ditch??

So we are trying to find a house, and have seen a few places we like in the Coquitlam/Port Moody area, however we can't help but be pulled by the prices and land available in Maple Ridge.
Is this a good future move, or just the worst idea ever? We know the schools arnt as good, but the thought of a couple of acres for a horse is appealing.
So if theres any Expats in the area, or out, your thoughts would be very appreciated.
RL
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maple Ridge OR Maple Ditch??

Originally Posted by Rosie Lee
So we are trying to find a house, and have seen a few places we like in the Coquitlam/Port Moody area, however we can't help but be pulled by the prices and land available in Maple Ridge.
Is this a good future move, or just the worst idea ever? We know the schools arnt as good, but the thought of a couple of acres for a horse is appealing.
So if theres any Expats in the area, or out, your thoughts would be very appreciated.
RL
Schools aren't as good as where? Schools are not that different all over the province. Some may have a less than desirable catchment, but for the most part not a lot different. Every school has good and not so good teachers, drugs regrettably are everywhere. A lot of it comes down to thee kids and parent support. MR is OK if you pick the right area and where you go appeals to you. If you are just moving over, you may want to consider renting before buying and see what you like.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 25th 2012 at 2:00 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:12 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Lee
RL
It's a suburb and as such has pros and cons. It has nice bits (some very nice bits infact) and some not so nice bits. The downtown area is crap, distance from downtown is a problem (if you want to go there or work there).

House prices with acerage can be very good value. As for schools and other amenities i should imagine it's fine.

It really comes down to where will you be working.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:22 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

The big drawback to Maple Ditch is the distance from Vancouver (think brutal, 3 hour a day commute by car) But if you're not working in Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond it's probably okay.

I don't know why the schools in MD are any worse than the Tri Cities? Who told you that? I've never heard that.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

Maple Ridge is an hour each way during rush hour, less than that on a quiet day. There is the option to use the West Coast Express or to drive to New West and get the skytrain in. the benefits of it are that it is less dense than some of the other places, and has access to some fantastic lakes, parks etc. it is on the doorstep of Golden Ears provincial park. The centre could do with a bit of tarting up but there is access to everything you need. It covers a huge area so you don't need to live near the centre. We find it has a real sense of community.
If you ski you can go west to the North Shore in an hour, (longer during rush hour) or east to Hemlock (30 minutes).
Easy access to the border, Aldergrove or Peace Arch. Sorry can't comment personally on schools as daughter is at uni, but friends seem happy with their childrens' schools.
Another plus point is you get a lot more house for your money, often with space between you and your neighbours
Old Sep 25th 2012, 5:13 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in MR.

- Downtown isn't very nice, but it's got shops and a few decent places to eat.

- There are lots of cookie cutter subdivisions, small lots, big houses that fill almost the entire lot. Places look like you can shake hands with the person next door while having a dump. If you don't mind this you can get a 3000sqft house with all the granite style bling for about $600k

- If you want rural and land then it's east and more like a 90 min commute each way.

- Land being affordable is still a relative term. 5 acres with something you'd actually want to live in is still going to be at least $700/800k and probably more. There is a LOT of shit housing on acreages. Places look ok on mls, but turn out to be need $$$ spending on them when you go and see. Don't skimp on the home inspection.

On the plus side, the rural areas are very quiet, it's not far to places like golden ears park, pitt lake etc, and you can probably get cheap drugs off your next door neighbour.

PM if you'd like specifics.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 10:56 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Don't skimp on the home inspection.
Home inspections are a waste of time, money and not worth the paper the are printed on. They give a false sense of security too. And before Alan gets all up in arms, that said, if you're going to get one, do some research on the one you pick, maybe even ask around - there's lots of shady ones.

and you can probably get cheap drugs off your next door neighbour.
Hell, they'll probably help you set up your own grow-op
Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Home inspections are a waste of time, money and not worth the paper the are printed on. They give a false sense of security too. And before Alan gets all up in arms, that said, if you're going to get one, do some research on the one you pick, maybe even ask around - there's lots of shady ones.
Not wrong there. We had a horror story with a home inspection and I would not waste the money in future.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 1:03 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Home inspections are a waste of time, money and not worth the paper the are printed on.
Originally Posted by Aviator
Not wrong there. We had a horror story with a home inspection and I would not waste the money in future.
Then I suggest you had dodgy ones. I'm not overstating it when I say that ours saved us $100k.

Of course, if you think you don't need one then fair enough. But when I'm spending hundreds of thousands of dollars I do my due diligence.

Last edited by Alan2005; Sep 26th 2012 at 1:07 am.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 1:45 pm

Then I suggest you had dodgy ones. I'm not overstating it when I say that ours saved us $100k.

Of course, if you think you don't need one then fair enough. But when I'm spending hundreds of thousands of dollars I do my due diligence.
Not these guys
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...n-lawsuit.html
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:09 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

+1.

we had excellent home inspectors. The first one saved us from buying leaking condos, 3x.

The second one - every single thing he said was an issue turned out to be accurate.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
+1.

we had excellent home inspectors. The first one saved us from buying leaking condos, 3x.

The second one - every single thing he said was an issue turned out to be accurate.
This is my experience also - except with houses.

I can understand peoples scepticism because there are a lot of dodgy ones associated with realtors. Or there are the kind that just check boxes - these probably aren't worth bothering with if you know what you are doing.

Still, I don't see how anyone can, in good conscience, recommend that somebody who has never bought or sold a house in Canada not get one. They might not catch everything, but they may spot something that gives you a negotiating position or makes you think twice.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:55 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Still, I don't see how anyone can, in good conscience, recommend that somebody who has never bought or sold a house in Canada not get one. They might not catch everything, but they may spot something that gives you a negotiating position or makes you think twice.
I've never used one and bought and sold several homes in Canada.

My reason for not recommending one is 'cus there are lots of dodgy ones and they can give a false sense of security. Everyone should do their own due diligence. That said, if you haven't got a clue, do some research and make sure you get a "non-dodgy" one.

And my opinion is a little skewed as my Dad was a very handy guy that did all his own house reno's (and he did a lot) so looking over a house is not a big deal for me - personally speaking, of course.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:04 pm

This is my experience also - except with houses.

I can understand peoples scepticism because there are a lot of dodgy ones associated with realtors. Or there are the kind that just check boxes - these probably aren't worth bothering with if you know what you are doing.

I believe they are licensed now. The one we used had missed that the whole roof needed replacing. The court thing go us nowhere, it was more hassle than it was worth to fight. We had a 2nd one done after the fact and I was amazed how much the first one missed. The qualification to be a home inspector was, not sure about now, that anyone could just go out and do it, it was not regulated at all.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:11 pm

My view is that almost everyone involved in property is dodgy - right the way from builders to realtors to mortgage brokers. You've got to do your research - but fortunately the internet has made that a bit easier with review sites like homestars. The thing to remember is that home inspectors that screw up too many deals won't get referrals from realtors. So any referral from a realtor is immediately suspect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.