Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Manitoba is now a new land of oppotunity? Why does Canada need more immigrants?

Manitoba is now a new land of oppotunity? Why does Canada need more immigrants?

Old Nov 13th 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Manitoba is now a new land of oppotunity? Why does Canada need more immigrants?

Originally Posted by Alan2005
More people = more people needing goods and services = bigger economy = more jobs = more tax revenues. I always thought Canada was quite transparent in it's motives for wanting/needing immigration.
Here's their answer:

MYTH #1:

High levels of immigration are required to ensure Canada’s prosperity.

The facts:

A country’s prosperity does not depend on a growing population or workforce. This is particularly true in the case of Canada since we are a trading nation and do not require an increasingly large domestic market to achieve economies of scale. Our prosperity depends rather on sound economic policies that stimulate productivity, make good use of capital investment and maximize the potential of the existing workforce.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Manitoba is now a new land of oppotunity? Why does Canada need more immigrants?

Originally Posted by rich07
Are you really comparing a population density of 1 province against an entire continent. If you are talking about population densities then surely the uk must win that competition.
Here is their take on this:

MYTH #3:

Canada is sparsely populated and can support a much larger population.

The facts:

Despite Canada's large surface area, much of it is not suited for human habitation. It would require a large input of food and energy for any significant number of people to live there and this would have both economic and environmental costs.

A large majority of recent immigrants have chosen to live in large cities, most notably Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, because of the wider range of social services, the higher quality of life, economic opportunities and the presence of relatives and immigrant communities in these locations.

This does not result in net benefits for most of the residents of these large cities and increases pressure on educational and health care facilities as well as adds to housing costs, commute times and environmental problems.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 10:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cityhog
Here is their take on this:
The central argument of the frothing loons, that the arrival of immigrants has an adverse impact on the existing population of Canada, would seem to be betrayed by this:

"because of the wider range of social services, the higher quality of life, economic opportunities and the presence of relatives and immigrant communities in these locations"

if the population of the locations chosen by the immigrants is already immigrants, and in the case of Toronto that's certainly true, then the arrival of new immigrants need be no concern of your Canadian Ted Kacynskis.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
The central argument of the frothing loons, that the arrival of immigrants has an adverse impact on the existing population of Canada, would seem to be betrayed by this:

"because of the wider range of social services, the higher quality of life, economic opportunities and the presence of relatives and immigrant communities in these locations"

if the population of the locations chosen by the immigrants is already immigrants, and in the case of Toronto that's certainly true, then the arrival of new immigrants need be no concern of your Canadian Ted Kacynskis.
Who's frothing? Are they? It seems you're frothing. They're not opposed to immigration per se, but just propose to reduce its number. Where does your quote come from? Not even a full sentence. Can't even quote properly? Kaczynski who?
Old Nov 13th 2010, 10:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Who's frothing? Are they? It seems you're frothing. They're not opposed to immigration per se, but just propose to reduce its number. Where does your quote come from? Not even a full sentence. Can't even quote properly? Kaczynski who?
I'm always frothing, bursting at the seams, I'm one of those frenziedly breeding foreigners in Canada.

The quote is from your post, I thought you'd recognize it without having the whole thing quoted back at you.

Ted Kaczynski is in google, you can find him. Or you could ask a passer-by, him being world famous and all.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ted Kaczynski is in google, you can find him. Or you could ask a passer-by, him being world famous and all.
I meant, what does it have anything to do with "world famous" Mr. Kaczynski?

I'm normally doing several things at once. So if you want to respond to my post, do it properly.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 11:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I meant, what does it have anything to do with "world famous" Mr. Kaczynski?

I'm normally doing several things at once. So if you want to respond to my post, do it properly.
I'm startled to find you can do the classic two things at once.

You're quoting the local equivalent of the Montana Militia, hence the reference to Mr. Kaczynski. You're not him perchance, are you?
Old Nov 13th 2010, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm startled to find you can do the classic two things at once.

You're quoting the local equivalent of the Montana Militia, hence the reference to Mr. Kaczynski. You're not him perchance, are you?
OK it was a one-man militia, wasn't it? And if I remember correctly, he hasn't mentioned anything about immigration in any of his writing. Quite an analogy innit?
Old Nov 14th 2010, 12:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

OK it was a one-man militia, wasn't it? And if I remember correctly, he hasn't mentioned anything about immigration in any of his writing. Quite an analogy innit?
It serves for me. Nutter. Rural. Raving. Your men in summary.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

It serves for me. Nutter. Rural. Raving. Your men in summary.
O it sounds like you talking about yourself.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

It is funny how to some people, race doesn't matter until you become the minority. There are definitely parts of Vancouver which are entirely asian dominated for example and it does get some people upset. My friend who goes to school here commented on how there are the white groups and asian groups in his classes.

The thing is though, it's very apparent to me that immigration is beneficial. Most immigrants I've met here have been smart, and very hard working people. Surrey wouldn't have one of the most unique new libraries if it wasn't for the architects designing it, who happen to be immigrants. Many successful business owners came to Canada to start a business or move their existing one, adding to the economy.

The bottom line is Canada has already come so far down this road it's too late to turn back now anyway. Almost 50% of the Vancouver population is non-white, which has already turned upside down the dreams of those who still believe in a "white canada".

My primary concern isn't immigration as a whole, but bias in the system. It seems Canada makes a tremendous effort to draw people in from China, Hong Kong and Korea (the last one even featuring a working holiday programme), whilst almost ignoring those in Europe and people like us from the UK. Granted it takes effort on both sides to secure such arrangements (as I suspect happened with the Working Holiday visa for Australians) but it still does feel like the system could be a bit more universal and not just trying to attract Asians. I'm not sure the reason behind this... my theory is perhaps the governments immigration programme employs immigrants who may have an agenda, but who knows
Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

the big burp is on a distinguished road

i agree that places like canada should look at ways of diversifying immigration. at least canada has a quota system to ensure it gets ppl from every region of the world.

if you look at australia which doesnt have aquota based on region most immigrants are indian/pakistani or asian (chinese, malaysian, indonesian etc). i see the dynamics of australia changing because of these groups becoming so substanial in size - to be honest i dont feel australia is truely multicultural because it doesnt have the true diversity (sure it has someone from every country so it can claim that its multicultural, but you rarely see any africans, occasionally see south americans)

i think canada is doing a better job than australia but i agree it needs to focus on achieving a truely multicultural society not one with just a few distinct groups, e.g. 'white', 'asian', 'south asian'
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

hrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nice

@CanadaJimmy
Originally Posted by the big burp
My primary concern isn't immigration as a whole, but bias in the system. It seems Canada makes a tremendous effort to draw people in from China, Hong Kong and Korea (the last one even featuring a working holiday programme), whilst almost ignoring those in Europe and people like us from the UK.
Japan and Korea both have a Work&Travel program with Canada. So do Germany, UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland and other Euro countries...
So what is your point again???

I think that Canada does try attracting Europeans. However, the incentive coming over from Western Europe isn't that great. In fact, if you'd finally end up in a city such as Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver you could have had a similar -even better environment living in London/Paris/Zurich. So why leaving Europe? People from Asia often come with different expectations. Many of them want to live in a more liberal or even stable environment or they come from overpopulated countries.

@cityhog:
why does Canada need immigrants? basically because of lack of experts in many specialized fields and misrepresentation in global economy. Canada still lives from natural resources (gas, oil, lumber) and is highly dependent on the US which makes around 80% of their trade. have you ever noticed that Canada has almost no company (except of Bombardier and a handfull others) that is globally competitive?
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:37 pm
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

I am going to put my two pennies worth in here and I am sure I'll get shot down for it.

Many countries, not just Canada say they need to encourage immigration as the population is ageing and they do not have enough workers. Well the problem is these new workers are limiting the size of their families so the number of young ones is going to continually decrease - this though is not the case in all 'groups'. Sorry but I have to say it - groups such as the Muslims who keep producing kids and yes they will as they keep telling us dominate the world - in some places that is already the case - AND NO I AM NOT A RACIST, just stating facts, highlighted by many population stats world wide.. The Canadian governments own stats say that Canada will be a Muslim country within the next 10 years!!!!!!!

WE do not have the resources on this planet for an ever increasing population. People are living years longer due to better conditions, health care food etc but this has a knock on effect. do not get me wrong I want to live as long as poss, particularly with 2 young kids, but our world has a limit and we need to learn to use resources better and stop all the waste that is destroying our world.

I have read about how BC etc the majority of the population is Asian. One thing that annoys me as a Brit that came here, we could only do so if we spoke either French of English. Why is this not the case for everyone other group. Why also if they want so many skilled workers do they check our qualifications to see if we are allowed to come and then we get here and our qualifications are worthless and we have to do more courses etc taking time and money. My husband has a BEng Electronics and Electrical Engineering and PhD in Micro Electronics from GLASGOW UNIVERSITY and it is worthless here without additional courses.

Another thing is we came here to escape Scotland to apply for Canadian citizenship and embrace the Canadian way of life. I do not see myself as a scot living in Canada I see myself now as a Canadian. I do not expect Canada to bend over backwards to accept my culture I accept the Canadian culture which unfortunately is being overtaken by other nationalities who believe Canada should adapt to them.

We need to stop categorizing people in groups such as Black Canadian, White Canadian, African Canadian - we are Canadian living in a land which has so much to offer us.

I look at the jobs on offer all over Canada and they are so limited, either very high level or very low level and the minimum wage is SO LOW!! You just cannot live on this. It took my husband a year to get a job in London and this was in the low level, we were willing to move anywhere and do not mind long commutes. If you get a good employer great, but many know the unemployment is such a level they can pay low and replace quickly.

Well like the advert for Scotia bank I am waiting on the wiggly fingers and the groans that I am racists, do not know what I am talking about but I read, I research and more importantly care - job hunting has been my main task for the last 3 years for both myself and my husband so I have seen everything on offer.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by No1_mom
The Canadian governments own stats say that Canada will be a Muslim country within the next 10 years!!!!!!!
Have you a link? I had no plan to convert to Islam but leaving the country might be more bother than doing so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.