Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Manitoba is now a new land of oppotunity? Why does Canada need more immigrants?

Manitoba is now a new land of oppotunity? Why does Canada need more immigrants?

Old Nov 13th 2010, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough
Default Manitoba is now a new land of oppotunity? Why does Canada need more immigrants?

It often puzzles why Canada needs twice as many immigrants as the US when the size of its economy is less than one tenth of that of the US. I'm sure it's an significant upgrade in quality of life for people from the third world, such as India and Philippine, but not sure about the rest of the immigrants. But here again is another immigrant story, this time, in The New York Times, which I don't think gives the full picture of what's really gong on in Canada: "Defying Trend, Canada Lures More Migrants."
Old Nov 13th 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all
Default Re: Manitoba is now a new land of oppotunity? Why does Canada need more immigrants?

I imagine that the reason is the same as much of the western world. An ageing population which in turn leads to more pension payments, more hospital costs and a system that pause for it with today's workers. Without an increase in the size of the labour market, the working population as a percentage would get smaller and it would be impossible to tax the workers to meet the social budget. The US doesn't have the free access to healthcare that Canada does and that has to be paid for!
Old Nov 13th 2010, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Manitoba is now a new land of oppotunity? Why does Canada need more immigrants?

Originally Posted by rich07
I imagine that the reason is the same as much of the western world. An ageing population which in turn leads to more pension payments, more hospital costs and a system that pause for it with today's workers.

Historical population of Canada since confederation, 1867-2009

An aging population as in Europe? Really? Do you see this? There's never been a plateau since 1867?
Old Nov 13th 2010, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Manitoba has high taxes so I can hardly see many people moving their.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cityhog
It often puzzles why Canada needs twice as many immigrants as the US when the size of its economy is less than one tenth of that of the US. I'm sure it's an significant upgrade in quality of life for people from the third world, such as India and Philippine, but not sure about the rest of the immigrants. But here again is another immigrant story, this time, in The New York Times, which I don't think gives the full picture of what's really gong on in Canada: "Defying Trend, Canada Lures More Migrants."
i think your wrong it says relative to size we take 2x as many immigrants, the US therefore takes 5x more (in absolute terms ) then Canada does. We are not only aging but very sparsely populated
Old Nov 13th 2010, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ray1968
i think your wrong it says relative to size we take 2x as many immigrants, the US therefore takes 5x more (in absolute terms ) then Canada does. We are not only aging but very sparsely populated
Thanks for the correction, but Canada's immigration intake of close to 250,000 per year is still the highest net per capita intake of any country in the world. Canada is huge but its arable/livable land is small compared to its size. For example, Ontario's population density is higher than that of Europe. Here is one convincing explanation. I like the words, immigration industry. Who benefits from this immigration industry? They say, the rich and the politicians.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 5:58 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Convincing? **** me. Bunch of loons.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

It does seem a bit hypocritical for an immigrant to complain about the level of immigration!
Old Nov 13th 2010, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Convincing? **** me. Bunch of loons.
Instead of resorting to calling names, explain your view, like an educated person.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
It does seem a bit hypocritical for an immigrant to complain about the level of immigration!
Who's complaining here? Just trying to understand what's going here in Canada, just like everyone else.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 6:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of resorting to calling names, explain your view, like an educated person.
So do you really think that the CBC is engaged on a conspiracy to brainwash us all? I mean, really?

And don't you think that anyone who believes this sort of xenophobic drivel is due for a mashed banana dinner in the Hotel Padded Cell?

The site has an obvious and very unpleasant agenda. for example:

The inflow of several million immigrants/refugees into Canada's three urban areas since 1990 has had a dramatic effect on the Canadian-born as well as earlier immigrants in those areas. In a number of places, long-term residents have suddenly become a minority in their communities.

Canada's diversity promoters like to tell us to celebrate diversity, but long-term residents of Canada believe they are being told to celebrate their marginalization.

It's the sort of b*llsh*t the BNP would be proud of. And you find it convincing? Shame on you.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonboyE
So do you really think that the CBC is engaged on a conspiracy to brainwash us all? I mean, really?

And don't you think that anyone who believes this sort of xenophobic drivel is due for a mashed banana dinner in the Hotel Padded Cell?

The site has an obvious and very unpleasant agenda. for example:

The inflow of several million immigrants/refugees into Canada's three urban areas since 1990 has had a dramatic effect on the Canadian-born as well as earlier immigrants in those areas. In a number of places, long-term residents have suddenly become a minority in their communities.

Canada's diversity promoters like to tell us to celebrate diversity, but long-term residents of Canada believe they are being told to celebrate their marginalization.

It's the sort of b*llsh*t the BNP would be proud of. And you find it convincing? Shame on you.
Again instead of getting emotional, articulate your view rationally. After some googling, I have found Dan Murray is the founder and director of this "loony" group. He is a retired teacher and environmentalist and taught for decades at schools like UBC. I have also learned there is a large contingent of supporters of immigration reform, who don't look like loons at all but seem to be "educated" people and include professors at major Canadian institutions.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

They list 15 IMMIGRATION MYTHS.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Thanks for the correction, but Canada's immigration intake of close to 250,000 per year is still the highest net per capita intake of any country in the world. Canada is huge but its arable/livable land is small compared to its size. For example, Ontario's population density is higher than that of Europe. Here is one convincing explanation. I like the words, immigration industry. Who benefits from this immigration industry? They say, the rich and the politicians.
Are you really comparing a population density of 1 province against an entire continent. If you are talking about population densities then surely the uk must win that competition.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 8:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

More people = more people needing goods and services = bigger economy = more jobs = more tax revenues. I always thought Canada was quite transparent in it's motives for wanting/needing immigration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.