Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mandatory Hotel Stay Booking

Mandatory Hotel Stay Booking

Old Mar 2nd 2021, 8:49 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 60
pjm3586 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mandatory Hotel Stay Booking

My wife and I are flying from Heathrow to Toronto on 9th March to emigrate. We have been trying to book our 'mandatory' hotel stay using the telephone number provided on the government website, which keeps saying unavailable. Has anyone recently tried to use this and had any success?

I note now the website states some of the hotels are available to book the 'Covid package' online, the only one I could find for Pearson was Alt hotel, it quoted us $1340 (both of us all in) for the three nights - which isn't too bad than the original upwards of $2000 each. We are just going ahead and booking this one, to have it booked for peace of mind but it would be nice to check if there are cheaper options. The website also says non refundable, so if we leave after one night it looks like we still pay full price.

Secondly, has anyone flown into Canada since the 22nd February, since the mandatory hotel stay has come into effect? What was your experience with officials?

We are emigrating and I start a new emergency services job pretty soon after the 14 day quarantine ends and I would argue this is essential travel and we are holding out hope we may be able to just go to our accommodation for our 14 day quarantine and not have to go near the hotel. If this is the case, we will lose our $1300 +. But there is no way of knowing until we physically land and speak to officials. I will have paperwork regarding my employment, our rental agreement and a detailed plan of how we will feed ourselves at our accommodation.

It would be interesting to hear of anyone's recent experiences.
pjm3586 is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 9:41 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 222
Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mandatory Hotel Stay Booking

Originally Posted by pjm3586 View Post
My wife and I are flying from Heathrow to Toronto on 9th March to emigrate. We have been trying to book our 'mandatory' hotel stay using the telephone number provided on the government website, which keeps saying unavailable. Has anyone recently tried to use this and had any success?

I note now the website states some of the hotels are available to book the 'Covid package' online, the only one I could find for Pearson was Alt hotel, it quoted us $1340 (both of us all in) for the three nights - which isn't too bad than the original upwards of $2000 each. We are just going ahead and booking this one, to have it booked for peace of mind but it would be nice to check if there are cheaper options. The website also says non refundable, so if we leave after one night it looks like we still pay full price.

Secondly, has anyone flown into Canada since the 22nd February, since the mandatory hotel stay has come into effect? What was your experience with officials?

We are emigrating and I start a new emergency services job pretty soon after the 14 day quarantine ends and I would argue this is essential travel and we are holding out hope we may be able to just go to our accommodation for our 14 day quarantine and not have to go near the hotel. If this is the case, we will lose our $1300 +. But there is no way of knowing until we physically land and speak to officials. I will have paperwork regarding my employment, our rental agreement and a detailed plan of how we will feed ourselves at our accommodation.

It would be interesting to hear of anyone's recent experiences.
If you don't need a booking confirmation to board you're flight just go without and try and argue exempt when you arrive. If they refuse you I am sure the hotel would have the space be happy to take your money on the day.
​​​​​​.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 2nd 2021 at 3:11 pm. Reason: Fixed quote
Revin Kevin is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 11:22 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 435
OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mandatory Hotel Stay Booking

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin View Post
If you don't need a booking confirmation to board you're flight just go without and try and argue exempt when you arrive. If they refuse you I am sure the hotel would have the space be happy to take your money on the day.
​​​​​​.
I've read about difficulties booking one of these hotels.
I am surprised that you don't have to show a booking confirmation to board the flight, because one is obliged to show a negative test result before boarding the flight. Other than immigrants, I could imagine that only citizens could argue their way out of that hotel stay on grounds of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. I don't think that legally they could force a Canadian citizen to stay at their pre determined hotels, they can only insist on and enforce the 14 day quarantine.

As in a case of an immigrant I wouldn't necessarily advise anybody to "argue yourself out of a situation". It's probably not that good and could be seen as a premeditated attempt not to comply with the law and that might have a possible impact on any citizenship application? However I am not certain about this?

Last edited by OrangeMango; Mar 2nd 2021 at 11:31 am.
OrangeMango is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 3:34 pm
  #4  
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 9,876
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mandatory Hotel Stay Booking

Originally Posted by pjm3586 View Post
My wife and I are flying from Heathrow to Toronto on 9th March to emigrate. We have been trying to book our 'mandatory' hotel stay using the telephone number provided on the government website, which keeps saying unavailable. Has anyone recently tried to use this and had any success?

I note now the website states some of the hotels are available to book the 'Covid package' online, the only one I could find for Pearson was Alt hotel, it quoted us $1340 (both of us all in) for the three nights - which isn't too bad than the original upwards of $2000 each. We are just going ahead and booking this one, to have it booked for peace of mind but it would be nice to check if there are cheaper options. The website also says non refundable, so if we leave after one night it looks like we still pay full price.

Secondly, has anyone flown into Canada since the 22nd February, since the mandatory hotel stay has come into effect? What was your experience with officials?

We are emigrating and I start a new emergency services job pretty soon after the 14 day quarantine ends and I would argue this is essential travel and we are holding out hope we may be able to just go to our accommodation for our 14 day quarantine and not have to go near the hotel. If this is the case, we will lose our $1300 +. But there is no way of knowing until we physically land and speak to officials. I will have paperwork regarding my employment, our rental agreement and a detailed plan of how we will feed ourselves at our accommodation.

It would be interesting to hear of anyone's recent experiences.
Negative stories about Canadian Quarantine hotel experience abound. This one for example: https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-w...eral-1.5329229
Atlantic Xpat is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 3:42 pm
  #5  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,912
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mandatory Hotel Stay Booking

I'm sure I read a post from someone but I can't find it now, sorry.. hopefully you managed to book a hotel in the end -better to do it in advance at a cheaper hotel than end up having to pay for one of the far more expensive ones on the day!

There's been another 9 hotels added to Pearson's list - https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...s-booking.html

The Embassy Suites has 'suites' as standard.. a bedroom and a separate area with a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink / couch etc., although they don't show online booking for quarantine purposes. I found them to be reasonable when I've stayed at the one in Niagara

Travellers must present proof of having reserved and pre-paid for their accommodation through ArriveCAN.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ravellers.html

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...g#health-check


How will you get from Toronto to the Hamilton area, are you using Public Transit? That's one question they are likely to want an answer to.

Info on the process on arrival : https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ion-sheet.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 2nd 2021 at 3:50 pm.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 4:45 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 435
OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mandatory Hotel Stay Booking

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat View Post
Negative stories about Canadian Quarantine hotel experience abound. This one for example: https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-w...eral-1.5329229
There are probably lot's of those stories, and those who are in favor of this will most likely call them "isolated incidents". I was more expecting the kind of story where one was locked into a windowless room for 3 days. Maybe this will happen soon as well.
I am also surprised that CTV is reporting on this. CTV was during the pandemic the kind of medium which believed that there is no community transmission at all, and all the infections are per se only coming via people travelling into the country.
OrangeMango is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 8:20 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 60
pjm3586 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mandatory Hotel Stay Booking

Sorry I should of said I am a citizen and my spouse is a PR.

Unfortunately it states on the booking part that the room is non refundable.

Upon arriving at Toronto our journey may be seen as 'essential' and we can go straight to our accommodation - thus most likely losing out on our payment for the hotel, which doesn't seem fair. It also doesn't seem fair that you have to pay for 3 nights but may only use 1 night, but I suppose that's just the situation we are in.

Hi Siouxie - We have secured a rental in Erin for the first few months, securing a rental was so difficult and the prices have increased unbelievably in the last while - as you know.
We are being collected by friends to take us to our accommodation, again, we may have to call them after arriving at the airport to tell them we have to go to the hotel which isn't ideal.

After reading the horror stories in the press recently and with the uncertainty we will go ahead and book the hotel, for peace of mind. Plus, like you said it needs to be pre loaded to ArriveCan in advance, take the loss of money on the chin, maybe in a few years there will be a class action! ​​​​​​​
pjm3586 is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 9:53 pm
  #8  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,912
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mandatory Hotel Stay Booking

Originally Posted by pjm3586 View Post
Sorry I should of said I am a citizen and my spouse is a PR.

Unfortunately it states on the booking part that the room is non refundable...

Upon arriving at Toronto our journey may be seen as 'essential' and we can go straight to our accommodation - thus most likely losing out on our payment for the hotel, which doesn't seem fair. It also doesn't seem fair that you have to pay for 3 nights but may only use 1 night, but I suppose that's just the situation we are in.

Hi Siouxie - We have secured a rental in Erin for the first few months, securing a rental was so difficult and the prices have increased unbelievably in the last while - as you know.
We are being collected by friends to take us to our accommodation, again, we may have to call them after arriving at the airport to tell them we have to go to the hotel which isn't ideal.

After reading the horror stories in the press recently and with the uncertainty we will go ahead and book the hotel, for peace of mind. Plus, like you said it needs to be pre loaded to ArriveCan in advance, take the loss of money on the chin, maybe in a few years there will be a class action! ​​​​​​​
The Embassy Suites had something on their website about refunds
Look for our flexible booking options with free changes and cancellations available at every hotel.
so it may be worth contacting them about it. ...edited to add - but I just read on the Govt website that refunds are not available.. https://www.canada.ca/en/contact/con...-stayover.html

You will be taken to the hotel by a hotel shuttle, officially a requirement unless you have your own vehicle. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...otel-stay.html

Unless your friends have a vehicle that is divided / big enough so that you can both be socially distanced from them, you may have issues with them transporting you - you are not supposed to have any direct contact with anyone unless you an remain 6ft apart for the duration of your quarantine.. perhaps look into renting a vehicle (one way rental) and driving yourself..

Unless you come under one of these exemptions https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ion#exemptions and you are needed immediately, you may not be counted as 'essential workers' - so be prepared to have to go to the hotel regardless.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 2nd 2021 at 10:01 pm. Reason: changed info
Siouxie is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2021, 11:47 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Orton, Ontario
Posts: 1,944
HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mandatory Hotel Stay Booking

I have got nothing to help with your question, except to wish you good luck with the move. We live in Mimosa which is actually too small to merit an address so it's part of the hamlet of Orton in the township of Erin - so welcome neighbour!
HGerchikov is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.