Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Managing family trips back home

Managing family trips back home

Old Dec 24th 2014, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Managing family trips back home

Mostly they come here, only two of them, they don't have to fit in with work vacation and our house is better able to cope with six people in it than theirs is. However I know they do like me to go there sometimes. In the ten years we have lived here, I have been back with the boys twice for about ten days each time, but mostly I go on my own for a really short visit, overnight flight Wednesday, back here on Monday evening. I have done that for a friends wedding in Belfast, my Mums 75th birthday, parents golden wedding and when my mum had her hip replaced. OH never comes with and we have a family holiday too, sometimes just a week in a cottage. This last summer though was mums 80th birthday and we all went to my brothers place in Sweden for a few days, OH came that time and we combined with a couple of days in Paris plus a week in Italy, courtesy of Ryanair. That worked really well, did the family thing and had a great vacation.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick FYI. West jet fly to Dublin now. So if your in the west you can board a west jet plane all the way to Dublin in theory.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 7:43 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
Just a quick FYI. West jet fly to Dublin now. So if your in the west you can board a west jet plane all the way to Dublin in theory.
Can mean two flight changes and a 737 all the way though. Easier to go to London then Aer Lingus or Ryanair.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 8:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I love going back, its never a chore, not even for funerals. I used to go back for couple weeks at Christmas another couple at Easter and spend most of the summer there. Usually, from the middle of June until the first week in October when I was forced to go back to work. I used to buy an old car, get my mate to do it up and sell it at the end of my trip. Saved a fortune on hire cars.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 10:23 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

We have both been back, separately, due to terminally ill friends and family. Going one at a time is the only affordable way and we tend to see everyone as much as possible. It essentially makes a sad trip more do-able as you get to see everyone else. Family have been here too. I can't imagine one of these trips being a vacation, per se
Old Dec 24th 2014, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Used to go back on my own every year or so, now with 3 kids in tow, I think it's not likely to happen while we still have a mortgage to pay. I wouldn't want to go alone with kids, so he would need to come too, we'd need to hire a huge vehicle for all the people and associated stuff, likely accommodation etc. etc.

You're right though, going back isn't really a holiday or a break at all, being pushed from pillar to post, so many people want you to go and visit them etc. We ended up just designating a day we would be at a particular pub and anyone who wanted could come there. Doesn't stop family wanting every waking hour though, which would be great if there were only one group of them, but there aren't. If we went again, we would be a little more selfish with our time I think and do some of the things we want to do, and show our kids some places. It's a long way to go and a lot of money to spend basically sitting in the one living room.

Mind you, not really had a holiday since we've been here either, unless you count a long weekend in Tobermory and a single night in a hotel.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 10:54 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Used to go back on my own every year or so, now with 3 kids in tow, I think it's not likely to happen while we still have a mortgage to pay. I wouldn't want to go alone with kids, so he would need to come too, we'd need to hire a huge vehicle for all the people and associated stuff, likely accommodation etc. etc.

You're right though, going back isn't really a holiday or a break at all, being pushed from pillar to post, so many people want you to go and visit them etc. We ended up just designating a day we would be at a particular pub and anyone who wanted could come there. Doesn't stop family wanting every waking hour though, which would be great if there were only one group of them, but there aren't. If we went again, we would be a little more selfish with our time I think and do some of the things we want to do, and show our kids some places. It's a long way to go and a lot of money to spend basically sitting in the one living room.

Mind you, not really had a holiday since we've been here either, unless you count a long weekend in Tobermory and a single night in a hotel.

If you want it to feel like a holiday you have go to the seaside.

Last edited by Oink; Dec 24th 2014 at 10:58 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 12:41 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Didnt go back for the 1st 2 years, 3rd year went back twice for funerals, I then went on my own for a week to visit poorly mum, 2011 went back for mums last Christmas, followed by a funeral in 2012, then went this year (2014) to see if the UK was in our future. Not planning a trip in the next couple of years now. However, if there is a wedding...
Old Dec 25th 2014, 2:15 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie

Mmm I know what you mean about the three kids... I had thought about staying on myself while he flies back and goes to work but the thought of negotiating a hire car, car seats, and flights with the three of them on my own fills me with dread..
Old Dec 25th 2014, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I've done 2 on my own. Never again out of choice.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

zoec is an unknown quantity at this point

Can family come and visit you at all? I know it's not the same as visiting but at least then would be a bit cheaper.
I've gone back to the UK five times and I moved here in 2009, currently on a visit right now in England actually! My parents come over roughly once a year and friends have visited me too which is great. I do find it hard though balancing going back and having your own vacation. So one year we didn't go back but flew to Hawaii and met my family there. In 2015 I probably won't go back as again I want a hot vacation and I've already been here twice in 2014. Maybe do two weeks in the UK and one week in France straight after?