Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Making a sacrifice... any advice/feedback please?

Making a sacrifice... any advice/feedback please?

Old Oct 16th 2012, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

andyhughes88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Making a sacrifice... any advice/feedback please?

CSO and Haggis - great stories there - im sure Haggis you could qualify for Perminant Residence via the CEC if you've got 2 years experience in a relevant occupation. This is the way I would look to settle permenantly if I end up falling in love with the place during my temporary stay on IEC.

Didikai - I can definitely relate and envisage what you say and the ultimate regret you'd feel at not doing it.

My decision is made. Finally managed to contact my cousin who lives in Cambridge, Ontario - married to a Canadian and now have their own house. They've offered me refuge in their basement (all sounds slightly Saw movie-ish) upon arrival which is a God send really and will help me get up and running quickly when I get out there.

Just got to apply for IEC and play the waiting game now. I'll keep you updated! Thanks for all the feedback. Andy
Old Oct 16th 2012, 12:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My observation from posting here over the years is generally (not always) the members most likely to return to the UK after a year or two fall into 2 classes:

Firstly there are those that see Canada as some golden nirviana and as a result have an over exagerated view of the differnece that living here will make, which inevitably results in a disapointment at the more mundane reality

Secondly there are those that come here for predominantly push reasons, which over time are forgotten or pushed to the back of their mind by the in your face presence of the day to day issues of starting from scratch over here.

There is of course quite a lot of cross over in those two groups.

Its not true in all cases, but if I hadnt seen it so many times over the years I wouldnt waste my time pointing it out to others. YMMV. Good luck.

Its all very well arguing that you dont want to end up being 60 and thinking "What if I had done this or that", but lets face it, its a glib cliche and there are plenty of people over in the returning to the UK forum who are thinking "What the hell was I thinking doing that, its cost me and my family £50k" too.

IEC is only for a year though and its a good idea for anyone that can do it to have a go I think.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 16th 2012 at 12:53 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Well Britain’s broke isn’t it? It’s become desolate of moral and social values. Where an underclass of drunken feral youths assault old-age pensioners while being robbed for ten pounds. Post offices closing down, pubs being boarded up. Ordinary hard working people who end up paying for welfare cheats and asylum seekers; professional spongers who breed for greed while worshiping a celebrity culture where X Factor counts more than Olympic gold. Duplicate litter strewn town centers studded with Argos and Carphone Warehouses have become community centers for teenage mothers pushing strollers around while screaming and battering their children. I forgot, failing schools, prohibitive cost of housing, corrupt bankers squiring away millions in bankrupt bonuses. A general sense of a country infected by a lack of aspiration. I can see how it seems to be a post-apocalyptic hellhole. I’d want to escape too.
Yummy Mummys. You forgot the yummy mummys taking up the whole pavement with their massive prams and the whole road with their 4x4s.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyhughes88
My decision is made. Finally managed to contact my cousin who lives in Cambridge, Ontario - married to a Canadian and now have their own house.
Cambridge? You're young and moving to Cambridge? Give your head a shake. If you want to give Canada a fair go move to Cabbagetown or some such place. Moving to Cambridge is an immediate leap into middle age.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Cambridge? You're young and moving to Cambridge? Give your head a shake. If you want to give Canada a fair go move to Cabbagetown or some such place. Moving to Cambridge is an immediate leap into middle age.
Just until I get on my feet, its a place to crash and get used to things after arriving - wont be staying there for long

Cabbagetown?? Sounds interesting...
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
My observation from posting here over the years is generally (not always) the members most likely to return to the UK after a year or two fall into 2 classes:

Firstly there are those that see Canada as some golden nirviana and as a result have an over exagerated view of the differnece that living here will make, which inevitably results in a disapointment at the more mundane reality

Secondly there are those that come here for predominantly push reasons, which over time are forgotten or pushed to the back of their mind by the in your face presence of the day to day issues of starting from scratch over here.

Its not true in all cases, but if I hadnt seen it so many times over the years I wouldnt waste my time pointing it out to others. YMMV. Good luck.

Its all very well arguing that you dont want to end up being 60 and thinking "What if I had done this or that", but lets face it, its a glib cliche and there are plenty of people over in the returning to the UK forum who are thinking "What the hell was I thinking doing that, its cost me and my family £50k" too.

IEC is only for a year though and its a good idea for anyone that can do it to have a go I think.
So based on the above observations of those for whom Canada has not worked out would you recommend the following:

1) Initially make the decision to move to Canada based on a genuine desire to want to visit and take in what the country has to offer rather than based on what you hate about being in the UK.

2) Arrive in Canada with an open frame of mind, unbiased and willing to appreciate and weigh up the good and bad points of living there in comparison to the good and bad of living in UK

3) Based on objective judgement of the above points in no2 and experience gained during the IEC year decide realistically whether perminant migration is really for you.

I guess I'm lucky that I'm young and have no ties, I'm not taking the risk of moving my whole family, house and the kitchen sink to the other side of the atlantic putting £1000s at risk in the process. I know I've quoted negative push factors behind my decision to change things in my life and give Canada a try but I also have a genuine desire to see what Canada has to offer, as a country its somewhere I've always wanted to visit. I've just got to get my head down, make a few sacrifices and save up as much money as possible (hopefully getting an IEC permit).

At worst it will be a chance to meet new people, experience and work/live in a new country for a year whilst I'm young and free to do such things, at best it could be an experience which ultimately changes my life and influences where I will settle down for the future. Who knows...
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Ive already said I think IEC is a good idea for firming up plans.

My initial comment on this thread was simply that in terms of sacrifice, having to move in with your parents for a short while was pretty insignificant, certainly compared to (for example,) not having the opportunity to visit your mum on what turned out to be her death bed, or your (future) children only seeing grandpa once a year etc.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 2:17 pm
Best place on earth. BC.

MegRobEarlee is an unknown quantity at this point

I was born and raised in and around Vancouver and made the move to the UK at your exact age, perfect time to do it. Had barely a £ in the bank but found work right away. the relationship i moved for turned tits up and hten i found my current parnter and have been with him for 4 years. we are now in process of moving back to the west coast of canada. it IS like night and day. the social tolerance, the food, the camping, the general quality of life is well..better. I cant say I have ever fallen for the general uk way to moan about everything and after 2 redundancies in as many years I cant say I want to stay in this country forever.
I am lukcy in that I have a family business to return to, and have parents willing to put us up for as long as it takes to find work and a place to live. will it be vancity? probably not, but i dont live in london now and its certainly within commuting distance

you only live once, and you are young enough to go, love it or hate it, come back, dont, and still have options in another 5 years. Im 32 now and we are going, i dont consider myself too old to make these changes.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

I can appreciate that you are pointing out your interpretation of the stats from this website. I would argue that the stats as a whole are very different. I know many British families that have made the move yet I don't know any that don't love it here and think that their quality of life here is massively different in a positive way from what it was in the UK. Other than on this website I genuinely can't think of 1 British family that want to return to the UK. Would you not agree that people are more likely to post on the website whan they have had negative experiences which might in turn skew your views?
Old Oct 16th 2012, 3:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by jossie
Other than on this website I genuinely can't think of 1 British family that want to return to the UK.
Most of the British immigrants to Canada I have known went home. I don't know that the statistics are helpful to anyone though, I suspect that most immigrants to anywhere ultimately go home. I've known immigrants from lots of other countries who also went home.

FWIW, you're far and away the most gung ho poster for Canada I've come across, I wonder if your arrival coincided with a lottery win or if you're from Birmingham.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the British immigrants to Canada I have known went home. I don't know that the statistics are helpful to anyone though, I suspect that most immigrants to anywhere ultimately go home. I've known immigrants from lots of other countries who also went home.

FWIW, you're far and away the most gung ho poster for Canada I've come across, I wonder if your arrival coincided with a lottery win or if you're from Birmingham.
Surely, Dboy takes this title
Old Oct 16th 2012, 3:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Surely, Dboy takes this title
Oh no, he's all about Vancover and Victoria. I think he choose Manchester ahead of the r.o.C.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

.c.s.o. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jossie
I can appreciate that you are pointing out your interpretation of the stats from this website. I would argue that the stats as a whole are very different. I know many British families that have made the move yet I don't know any that don't love it here and think that their quality of life here is massively different in a positive way from what it was in the UK. Other than on this website I genuinely can't think of 1 British family that want to return to the UK. Would you not agree that people are more likely to post on the website whan they have had negative experiences which might in turn skew your views?
I can't imagine anyone would want to leave the Okanagan Valley. I'd move there in a heart beat if it wasn't so expensive.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute

I say go for it!
As a geographer there is lots to do in Canada. Go to school and get your Masters in Geology and there will be more to chose from.
Or do something really different and learn to fly. No bush piloting inthe UK or Europe. That will get you free sooner than the tar sands but you need nerves of steel.
Some people need to be free, some like being not free. Maybe the OP is one of the former. And maybe his soul mate is Canadian....
He won't know until he tries. And once he gets wrapped up in the 'normal' work a day world most of us share.... He will have a devil of a time extracting himself from it.
Someof us have waited 40 years of working for The Man to be free.
Try the islands of BC. We're headed for Cortes next week.

Try the book: The Golden Spruce to whet your appetite. Beautiful writing.

Last edited by deltadeliquent; Oct 16th 2012 at 4:12 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Lottery win - I wish No offence but we visited Guelph during our research trip and if we moved there we would probably want to return to the UK as well. It seemed very dull, flat & industrious. You should consider trying out a different province - you might change your views. I feel like we have won the lottery just by being able to have the lifestyle we have here in BC. In fact I used to put the lottery on every week in the UK but in the 5+ years in Canada I have never felt the urge to buy a ticket. I would be interested to know where the immigrants you speak of lived during their time in Canada. Where they all in the same area that you live in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.