Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Making a sacrifice... any advice/feedback please?

Wikiposts

Making a sacrifice... any advice/feedback please?

Old Oct 15th 2012, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

andyhughes88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Making a sacrifice... any advice/feedback please?

Hi guys

No real query here just after some feedback. I am dead set on moving from UK and decided Canada is where I want to go, so I've decided to apply for IEC 2013 to check what it has to offer and am now in process of preparing all the necessary documentation required, as soon as applications open I'll be mailing mine off.

I want to save as much money as I can for the move (£10k in mind) so I don't need to worry about it if I'm waiting to find work or want to do,visit or see things. In order to get the desired funds together I am sacrificing my own flat to move back into my parent's house. I have a move out date set for November 20th and with prospective viewers coming around to view the flat, its kind of hit me now that I'm actually giving the place up!

I get on well with my parents although I'm very independent, I cant help feeling it will be hard going back to 1 bedroom in their house from the space of my beautiful Georgian apartment. That added to the fact I've spent my own money and a lot of time on getting the flat how I want it...

Just after some advice or feedback from any others who have had to make this sacrifice or similar to get to where they ultimately want to be??

Thanks Guys

Andy
Old Oct 15th 2012, 4:29 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making a sacrifice... any advice/feedback please?

Frankly that sort of sacrifice is likely a tiny drop on the bucket compared to the reality of moving across the atlantic and starting again...

Is it going to be worth it? Only time will tell.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 4:29 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i would have rented your flat so you have some kind of income in the short term and a place to come home should you find Canada isn't the place you want to be.

You could always sell it at a later date if you are happy and settled in Canada
Old Oct 15th 2012, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We have sacrificed an awful lot to come over here (financially)

Would I do it again with hindsight? Absolutely.

Only time will tell if it's the right thing to do long term but right now I feel like it was (and that's with homesickness hitting hard some days).

If you can afford to rent your apartment out would that not be a better option?

Good luck!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Sorry guys I don't own the flat in UK I've been renting it for last 2 years. In terms of giving it up I meant in the terms of sacrificing the freedom and space of having your own place to going back to living with parents.

I'll always have my parents place to come home to, I'm 24 not married, no kids, mortgage etc so thats why I think the time is right now to see if a move to Canada full time would be right for me. That's why I want to do IEC first of all.

Geordie Lass its good to see that the hard work was worth it in your case... I know there will be bigger sacrifices to make in the future if I decide to go for it!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Another big sacrifice will not be able to watch Forest on Canadian sports channels. We only cover the big clubs playing in the PL not the championship You can always subscribe to Setanta (Sportsnet World)
http://www.setanta.com/ca/How-To-Sub...NTA-IN-CANADA/
Failing that you will have to find a stream.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:01 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

From one brummie to another, stay where you are. The grass isnt greener over here, its just a different shade.

My two pence worth - for what its worth!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Another big sacrifice will not be able to watch Forest on Canadian sports channels. We only cover the big clubs playing in the PL not the championship You can always subscribe to Setanta (Sportsnet World)
http://www.setanta.com/ca/How-To-Sub...NTA-IN-CANADA/
Failing that you will have to find a stream.
Bit of a cheap shot there Lancastrian... I'll find a way to watch them, mind you how they're playing I won't miss much!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
From one brummie to another, stay where you are. The grass isnt greener over here, its just a different shade.

My two pence worth - for what its worth!
Thats interesting... what have you found it to be like over there? Where are you based etc? That was the whole intention of doing IEC first tbh, its only for 12months but should give me some insight to life over there.

I don't know what reasons were behind your decision to move over but if they were anything to do with living in Brum I can confidently say things are definitely not getting any better here!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:29 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyhughes88
Thats interesting... what have you found it to be like over there? Where are you based etc? That was the whole intention of doing IEC first tbh, its only for 12months but should give me some insight to life over there.

I don't know what reasons were behind your decision to move over but if they were anything to do with living in Brum I can confidently say things are definitely not getting any better here!
I'd stay where you are if it was me. You're only swapping one ****hole for another more boring one. And the telly is rubbish.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:37 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
. And the telly is rubbish.
+ 1
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyhughes88
Hi guys

No real query here just after some feedback. I am dead set on moving from UK and decided Canada is where I want to go, so I've decided to apply for IEC 2013 to check what it has to offer and am now in process of preparing all the necessary documentation required, as soon as applications open I'll be mailing mine off.

I want to save as much money as I can for the move (£10k in mind) so I don't need to worry about it if I'm waiting to find work or want to do,visit or see things. In order to get the desired funds together I am sacrificing my own flat to move back into my parent's house. I have a move out date set for November 20th and with prospective viewers coming around to view the flat, its kind of hit me now that I'm actually giving the place up!

I get on well with my parents although I'm very independent, I cant help feeling it will be hard going back to 1 bedroom in their house from the space of my beautiful Georgian apartment. That added to the fact I've spent my own money and a lot of time on getting the flat how I want it...

Just after some advice or feedback from any others who have had to make this sacrifice or similar to get to where they ultimately want to be??

Thanks Guys

Andy
I could sit on the fence and give you a balanced, safe, middle of the road view on emigrating but I don't subscribe to those views - that's what the moderators are for (or seem to be for.) There is nothing better than having a dream like you are having right now and then having the conviction to make it happen. My advice would be to say go for it but spend a lot of effort researching what location will suit you. There are many parts of Canada where the grass is the same colour as the UK but there are also many parts of Canada where the grass is substantially greener than the UK.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Hi Andy,

It depends on what you want in life and type of lifestyle. I had exactly the same questions just before I left.
I gave up a good job in the civil service, and I lost a lot financially. I wasted five years and im starting all over again with nothing. At the same time Im living with my sister and her extended family while I find work here.

Was it worth the sacrifice. I would say yes. Why?, it comes back to what type of lifestyle one wants.
Back home in London, I found it was overcrowded and lack of development and opportunities. I had people of a similar ethnic background to myself bringing their religious cultural hypocrisy to the workplace and neighbourhood whilst refusing to integrate at the same time.
In London I was unemployed for over a year and within three days of landing here I had a job interview.

When I look out of my window I can see mountains. When I looked out of my window in London I could see the smoke from the riots.
I woke up the other day morning and as I got to my truck there were three deers standing next to my truck.

Don't get me wrong it an't a bed of roses here. The price of cheese is a joke, the chocolate tastes awful and football is called soccer here. But if your willing to adapt, integrate and learn then it could be a life changing experience.

I think your doing the right thing, your saving money and your taking a chance. I did the same thing albeit later in my twenties. I just wish I had done it younger(around your age) and saved more money.
What I will say is the first 12 months are the toughest. The second year is not so bad. The third year is fine. You just have to 'ADAPT'.

Take the chance. If it does not work out, just move back. Birmingham is not exactly going to disappear is it?
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jossie
I could sit on the fence and give you a balanced, safe, middle of the road view on emigrating but I don't subscribe to those views - that's what the moderators are for (or seem to be for.) There is nothing better than having a dream like you are having right now and then having the conviction to make it happen. My advice would be to say go for it but spend a lot of effort researching what location will suit you. There are many parts of Canada where the grass is the same colour as the UK but there are also many parts of Canada where the grass is substantially greener than the UK.
Thanks Jossie, really helpful.

I will likely have plenty of time to research during the boring weekends and evenings staying in at parent's to save money!

People always say when I tell them my dream that "it sound like you've already made your mind up" and maybe I have in some ways. I've wanted to move from the UK since I was young and entertained Australia for a while but decided against for various reasons. I just feel like I really really am sick of living here and can't wait to get out! I'm not afraid of hard work and know it'll be tough to establish myself in a foreign country. It's good to hear from people who have been in the same boat.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
I could sit on the fence and give you a balanced, safe, middle of the road view on emigrating but I don't subscribe to those views - that's what the moderators are for (or seem to be for.)
Hey, we're allowed opinions too you know! Aren't we?

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger
I woke up the other day morning and as I got to my truck there were three deers standing next to my truck.
But you could have achieved that, and the other stuff you mentioned, by moving out of London in to a more rural location in the UK couldn't you? I see deer every morning (usually in my garden eating my new fruit trees, grrrr), and I'm in the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.