Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Making new friends in Toronto

Making new friends in Toronto

Old Sep 21st 2012, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Stephen47 will become famous soon enoughStephen47 will become famous soon enough
Default Making new friends in Toronto

Hey!

I'm currently in Toronto and I've been here for a few days now. Eveything is going really well and managed to make some new friends, but just wondering if anyone is alone and wants to hang out then I'm all for it.

Networking and making new friends in a city can always have its plus points.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:27 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making new friends in Toronto

Join meetup.com and look for groups with interests matching yours. Most meetup groups are welcoming and you should be able to find one that matches your hobbies/interests. Everything from Dungeons and Dragons to Literature clubs, wining and dining to baseball fanatics. One of the better ways to meet new people.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Stephen47 will become famous soon enoughStephen47 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Join meetup.com and look for groups with interests matching yours. Most meetup groups are welcoming and you should be able to find one that matches your hobbies/interests. Everything from Dungeons and Dragons to Literature clubs, wining and dining to baseball fanatics. One of the better ways to meet new people.
Thanks for the website i'll look into it.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Agreed. When I moved to Toronto, I joined a ski club and an indoor soccer team. I think you make friends much more easily when you're out and about doing things you enjoy rather than focusing too hard on making friends.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

UK_Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stephen47
Hey!

I'm currently in Toronto and I've been here for a few days now. Eveything is going really well and managed to make some new friends, but just wondering if anyone is alone and wants to hang out then I'm all for it.

Hey Stephen,

I have just moved to Mississauga and know nobody!! Be cool to get to meet some fellow Brits in the same situation! Are you right in the city?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by UK_Claire
Hey Stephen,

I have just moved to Mississauga and know nobody!! Be cool to get to meet some fellow Brits in the same situation! Are you right in the city?
Hi Claire,

Sure, I'd be interested in meeting up with you and other fellow Brits. I've been here just over a week and I've made a few friends but not enough to satisfy my needs lol. I'm based down College Street at a hostel near downtown, i'm probably like 15-20 mins away from Yonge/Dundas Sq. I'm due to vacate this coming Friday and need to find somewhere very quickly :-(
Any way enough of me, if you wanna organise something then count me in.

Steve
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Hi Claire,

Sure, I'd be interested in meeting up with you and other fellow Brits. I've been here just over a week and I've made a few friends but not enough to satisfy my needs lol. I'm based down College Street at a hostel near downtown, i'm probably like 15-20 mins away from Yonge/Dundas Sq. I'm due to vacate this coming Friday and need to find somewhere very quickly :-(
Any way enough of me, if you wanna organise something then count me in.

Steve
Thanks Steve.

I have opened a new thread trying to get people together in the Mississauga/TO areas. There is one being arranged in Burlington, probably too far for you?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

laurenhannah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stephen,

I know what you mean, Toronto can be hard to meet people sometimes. My boyfriend and I are members of the Brit meet up group, they have get-togethers once a month, and a quiz every 2 or 3 months, its great and always a fab turn out. There is a quiz this Saturday actually

http://www.meetup.com/brit-7/

Welcome to Toronto!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by UK_Claire
Thanks Steve.

I have opened a new thread trying to get people together in the Mississauga/TO areas. There is one being arranged in Burlington, probably too far for you?
Yeah Burlington is the next town to the west isn't it? I think that's a little too far for me to travel right now. Maybe later on down the line when I've got my priorities all in order then I'll see where I am.

Something closer to Toronto I could do. Try get something arranged in Downtown Toronto if you can.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:58 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Hey!

I'm not sure what age you are but these guys run great activities for meeting people:

http://www.torontossc.com/
Old Sep 26th 2012, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JamesM
I'm not sure what age you are but these guys run great activities for meeting people:

http://www.torontossc.com/
I'm 28 years old and I can see myself joining a sports club and trying out for the football team. Is it similar to meetup.com?

Steve
Old Sep 27th 2012, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Meetup.com sounds good. I'm 29 years old btw
Old Sep 28th 2012, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

Meetup.com is great i recommend it. I joined it around 8 months after living in Toronto after stumbling across it online. I was a bit uncertain at first about an online social group but it was fine! There are some great social groups there and in fact a few of my closest friends now i met through meetup.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 7:42 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 28 years old and I can see myself joining a sports club and trying out for the football team. Is it similar to meetup.com?

Steve
Perfect.

I don't know meetup.com. But at 28 TSSC leagues and events are perfect to meet people.

I played "Co-Ed Soccer" Intermediate (Basically Boys and Girls) for 3 years. Met some great people via a couple of teams.

Currently taking some time out but will possibly try the beginner level Volley Ball next year.