Reload this Page >

Making new friends

Making new friends

Old May 31st 2014, 6:50 am
Just Joined

RebeccaStretton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Making new friends

Hi

My name's Beckie. I have a wonderful husband and 2 children. A daughter called Connie, aged 5 and a son called Spencer, aged 2.

My husband has just taken a job In Edmonton. We will be flying out late August/ early September.

My family and I are very excited! my only concern is that I won't know anybody.

Is there anyone, mum's or not, that would be able to talk to me so I know a few people before I land?

Sorry, I know it's a bit of a random question.

Thanks.
Old May 31st 2014, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Mrs A and Co is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Making new friends

Hi Beckie,

We,me, hubby and 10 year old and 6 year old move to Calgary in Aug/Sept also. I have the same concerns.. feel free to PM me.

We are excited too..

Mrs A and co
Old May 31st 2014, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

There are groups on facebook called "British Expats in Edmonton" and the same for Calgary. I definitely recommend joining those, as everyone is pretty much in the same boat.

Good luck
Old May 31st 2014, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mrs A and Co
Hi Beckie,

We,me, hubby and 10 year old and 6 year old move to Calgary in Aug/Sept also. I have the same concerns.. feel free to PM me.

We are excited too..

Mrs A and co

Thanks. Im glad to see I'm not the only one feeling this way! Are you all ready to go?
I feel slightly lost between all the jobs I have left to do!
Old May 31st 2014, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jericho79
There are groups on facebook called "British Expats in Edmonton" and the same for Calgary. I definitely recommend joining those, as everyone is pretty much in the same boat.

Good luck

Thank you for pointing this out to me, I'd have never found out about it otherwise!
Old May 31st 2014, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs A and Co
Hi Beckie,

We are excited too..

Mrs A and co
We've recently arrived in Calgary, and have a 7 & 8 year old.
August/September should give you enough time to get settled before the winter arrives
Good luck!
Old May 31st 2014, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jericho79
We've recently arrived in Calgary, and have a 7 & 8 year old.
August/September should give you enough time to get settled before the winter arrives
Good luck!
When does the winter arrive?

I hope you've settled in well.
Old May 31st 2014, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RebeccaStretton

Realistically, it'll start snowing anytime from October onwards. You'll probably have snow on the ground from November/December through to May.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 6:41 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you do a little more research if you are asking that
Old Jun 1st 2014, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I suggest you do a little more research if you are asking that
Thanks for your opinion however I have done plenty of research but I have been in September when there has been heavy snow so was just suprised by the comment stating i'd arrive and settle before winter. Therefore I thought I'd double check.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 7:41 am
Just Joined

HeartoftheSunrise is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in the same boat around this time last year.

Sorry about the short reply: For a big city, I have found Edmonton to be no problem to settle into in general. It's easy-going and friendly for the most part. And it feels safe compared to other places I've lived in.

You'll have no trouble making friends quickly I'm sure - the snow and ice is a great conversation starter. And half the city wasn't born here either so it's fairly cosmopolitan. Good luck!
Old Jun 1st 2014, 8:12 am
Just Joined

HeartoftheSunrise is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and feel free to pm for any info!
Old Jun 1st 2014, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

My name's Beckie. I have a wonderful husband and 2 children. A daughter called Connie, aged 5 and a son called Spencer, aged 2.

My husband has just taken a job In Edmonton. We will be flying out late August/ early September.

My family and I are very excited! my only concern is that I won't know anybody.

Is there anyone, mum's or not, that would be able to talk to me so I know a few people before I land?

Sorry, I know it's a bit of a random question.

Thanks.
Good luck with the move, we are flying out there at the same time but will be be heading to Regina
Old Jun 1st 2014, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

SUNSHINEGIRL_X is an unknown quantity at this point

hi we are looking to move to edmonton, I have made contact with a salon who are trying to get me an LMO so we can aim to get out there by end of year beginning of next. We have a nearly 3yr old daughter so I will also be looking for friends and mums.
Thanks for the facebook page I will check it out.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience the best way is to join a group. Such as a theatre group where you can help out or some other volunteer activities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.