Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Making friends

Making friends

Old Apr 27th 2015, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making friends

I thought that this was about making friends. Hey Ho.

My lower back hurts and so does my right shoulder
Old Apr 28th 2015, 9:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themajor
I thought that this was about making friends. Hey Ho.

My lower back hurts and so does my right shoulder
Almost everything goes off topic in the Canada section, always side conversations in most threads.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is about making friends, is that the ones that find it easy are YOUNG or have a family or are working. Now if you do not fit into those catagories it will be very hard to make friends. You will meet people who will chat to you in the bars/pubs/restaurants but they are not what you call friends.

Good luck
Old Apr 28th 2015, 2:13 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

A friend is someone who will help you move,
a best friend is someone who will help you move a body.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by caretaker
A friend is someone who will help you move,
a best friend is someone who will help you move a body.

I agree and also A true friend is someone who knows all about you warts and all and they still like you.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 9:29 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
but the joints not fully sure, doctors figured it was arthritis of some sort, but the tests they did basically added more questions...lol
I don't know the in's and out's of medical stuff, but some sort of chemical in the body comes back high when blood work is done which indicates inflammation apparently.
My Mum was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in her early 30's so I know, albeit 2nd hand , what it is like for a person to suffer enormous debilitating severe joint/bone pain.
A pal's daughter in her early 20's has a vague diagnosis of some form of lupus. With this, it can be very hard to pin it down exactly.
Can you think of anyone in your family with similar? Perhaps a couple of generations back. A grandpaprent . Often these types of issues skip a generation.

I do hope the quacks can pin what this is and if it is an auto-immune issue, which particular type to get you on the right meds with good guidance for the correct physio .

Apologies for off topic .

As you were folks
Old Apr 30th 2015, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
My Mum was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in her early 30's so I know, albeit 2nd hand , what it is like for a person to suffer enormous debilitating severe joint/bone pain.
A pal's daughter in her early 20's has a vague diagnosis of some form of lupus. With this, it can be very hard to pin it down exactly.
Can you think of anyone in your family with similar? Perhaps a couple of generations back. A grandpaprent . Often these types of issues skip a generation.

I do hope the quacks can pin what this is and if it is an auto-immune issue, which particular type to get you on the right meds with good guidance for the correct physio .

Apologies for off topic .

As you were folks
My great grandmother on my mom's side had arthritis of some sort, unsure of type or onset.

My dad has mild arthritis, his onset was in his mid 50's and is milder then mine is.

It does run in the family.

I seem to have won the gene pool, but not the good kind. Seems I got all the bad genes, well except hair loss lucked out there so far (most men in the family have balding in their early 30's, so to be in my late 30's almost and still thick hair, pretty good.)

My sister has no health issues that I am aware of, but her son has a slew of them, but really serious ones, mostly related to the heart.Heart issues run on my dad's side, mine are luckily mild and not considered life threatening.

Her son's is potentially life threatening and he has some sort of device implanted to shock the heart, he was born with a hole in his heard, it was patched, but he has electrical issues of some sort.

My guess based on family history, sometime between 60 and 67, I'll drop dead from a massive heart attack, seems to be the way the men go.

However my dad and myself don't smoke nor drink, and first not to smoke and drink, so really we are the test cases to see if we can make it past 67.

My mom's side has longevity, so I could benefit from that. Her dad is 80 and my great grandmother on that side lived into her late 90's.
Old May 1st 2015, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I find it rather sobering to realise that I have already lived longer than any member of my immediate family .............. parents, brother, maternal and paternal grandparents.

Heart being the major problem on both sides.

I do however have 3 cousins still alive in OZ who are 86, 88 and 90, children of my Dad's eldest brother. I'm hoping that whatever they inherited has come down to me!

That, plus the medications for high blood pressure and cholesterol that I have to take
Old May 1st 2015, 3:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scilly
I find it rather sobering to realise that I have already lived longer than any member of my immediate family .............. parents, brother, maternal and paternal grandparents.

Heart being the major problem on both sides.

I do however have 3 cousins still alive in OZ who are 86, 88 and 90, children of my Dad's eldest brother. I'm hoping that whatever they inherited has come down to me!

That, plus the medications for high blood pressure and cholesterol that I have to take
My great grandmother was a walking pharmacy, she was taking so many pills, but still managed into her 90's, but my mom's side has the longevity.

The heart seems to be the trouble maker for early deaths on my dad's side.
Old May 1st 2015, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Lee
I always found Canadians to be incredibly friendly right from the off, but it doesn't seem to go any further than that. You can know someone for several years, but it still feels like the relationship hasn't progressed any further than when you first met.
And what is this idea that your business acquaintances are your buddies??
When the chips come down, its business!
Agree with this. My wife has always lived in Canada and she has a lot of acquaintances and quite a few friends but for many of them she doesn't know a lot about them..i.e if married women and they changed their name at marriage she often doesn't know their previous surname.

My closest friends here without a doubt are usually people not born in Canada. Often ex-pats...we share a common sense of humour, interest in absurd things, interesting places, footie, quirky tv, etc. Joining footie team has helped me meet many like minded people.

Some work related people have transposed into becoming friends..most of them are not born in Canada.
Old May 1st 2015, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

Agreed, the friends I've made here have been other Brits (obviously), Pakistanis, Serbians, Colombians, Indians, Chinese, Israelis, etc etc. Not many born and bred Canadians!