Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Make sure you bring plenty of cash with you

Make sure you bring plenty of cash with you

Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:08 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future
Question Re: Make sure you bring plenty of cash with you

So... whats a GIC ?

M.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:09 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Make sure you bring plenty of cash with you

Originally Posted by loser40
So... whats a GIC ?

M.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_ionomer_cement
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

jamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nice

thanks for the advice,its just hard to get to get use to the diffrent ways,we had good credit in the u.k paid everthing off before we came,i guess it just takes time.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:15 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future
Question Re: Make sure you bring plenty of cash with you

bazzz - Im pretty sure that the cement GIC is the wrong kind of GIC...

So, whats a financial GIC ?

M.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/gic.asp
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loser40
So... whats a GIC ?

M.
Bazzz is just soooo clever and helpful isnt he. For an eight year old anyway.

Guaranteed Investment Certificate...sort of like a bank savings bond. You have to leave it in there so long to get the interest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guarant...nt_Certificate
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:27 pm

I assumed he must have been talking about something more obscure than the number 1 hit on google.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
I assumed he must have been talking about something more obscure than the number 1 hit on google.
"I feel lucky" for "GIC" throws up http://www.gic.com.sg/ as the #1 hit on google.

As I keep telling my 5 year old, lying about it when you are caught just makes the offence worse

Last edited by iaink; Aug 6th 2008 at 7:38 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
http://www.gic.com.sg/ is the #1 hit on google.

As I keep telling my 5 year old, lying about it when you are caught just makes the offence worse
Nope, the number 1 hit is:

http://www.investored.ca/en/investor...ges/1_gic.aspx

Maybe your 5-year-old can explain how the internet works for you.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Let me explain how google works to you;
Originally Posted by Google
The "I'm Feeling Lucky™" button takes you directly to the first web page Google returned for your query. You will not see the other search results at all. An "I'm Feeling Lucky" search means you spend less time searching for web pages and more time looking at them.
http://www.google.co.uk/help/features.html

Last edited by iaink; Aug 6th 2008 at 7:43 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:40 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

How much were the deposits for each of the utilities?

I've already got my HSBC Mastercard with $5K limit - must be easier when you go from HSBC UK to Canada....
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

UK Credit Card is accepted for sales....

However I went to Rogers for a cell-phone account the first week I was here (I needed a contact number for work, etc ASAP).... I Had a British Passport (with PR papers), UK Credit Card, proof of address and SIN no. for ID.

I was looking for a 2-phone plan so me and the missus could call each other nothing.

Rogers Reply: I could have ONE line only with a $600 credit limit as I was a high risk.

When I said how about two lines, with a total credit limit of $200 and I put down a $200 deposit... They still said no as I was a high risk!!

$600???.... that's a lot of calls!!

Their reasoning was that because of the UK CC I was a risk.... If I had waited untill my Alberta Driving License and PR Card had arrived, then no problem! (But that would have taken weeks!!)

In the end, waited for the Canadian missus to arrive and do the credit check in her name (lost the suprise element, but hey!).... BUT still made sure I was named on the plan....
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Let me explain how google works to you;
http://www.google.co.uk/help/features.html
I can see what you're doing wrong. You're using google.co.uk to look up Canadian things. A common mistake amongst the technically inept. In future, you might find it helpful to use google.ca

Hope that helps. You're welcome.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by G77
I've already got my HSBC Mastercard with $5K limit - must be easier when you go from HSBC UK to Canada....
HSBC apparently offer the facility to use a UK credit check and previous UK banking histiory (with them) to determine your credit over here.

Worked for my Dad in the Calgary Downtown Branch.

Not so for me in the Kensington Branch... The newly-graduated 'Account Manager' wasn't aware of their 'passport' product, Was not even willing to consider me for a credit card for 6 months, etc, etc....

Now that a couple of paychecks have gone through i'm gonna head in and tell them what they're gonna give or I walk to Scotia/RBC/etc....
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:50 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsey
HSBC apparently offer the facility to use a UK credit check and previous UK banking histiory (with them) to determine your credit over here.
Yea, I applied from here in the UK and paid £100 for the privilege, think it was worth it though, as I have a credit card now with no hassle and enough cheques to last me a lifetime (a whole box of them ).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.