Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Major life advice needed from wise people

Major life advice needed from wise people

Old Jul 8th 2019, 2:26 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Major life advice needed from wise people

Originally Posted by ph2020
I can't afford to become an airline pilot though, that's the problem.. many airlines offer 1.5-year courses which take you from 0 flying hours to First Officer, but they cost a great deal of money.

I don't think moving to Canada on an IEC will help me get any closer to becoming a pilot?

I don't have a particular question.. I just want some advice on the move to Canada. I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Edit: basically if I end up having to commute to downtown Toronto to work in an office in a job I won't enjoy, whilst paying a lot for rent and being unable to travel freely, it would be a worse situation than I'm currently in and I would like to avoid it.. However I'm hoping people are friendlier over there, the housing situation is better than London's, etc... perhaps I need a shrink, not immigration advice :-)
The expensive housing situation is very similar now in Canada's major cities.

You should do it though- you are young and it will be a great experience even if it is only shorter term.

It is possible to live and work in Downtown Toronto with next to no commute as well.

Old Jul 17th 2019, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

ph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!

Thanks a lot for your advice. I've decided to focus on my dream: becoming a pilot. I'm still in the Canada Express Entry pool with 438 points, but I've requested the withdrawal of my IEC, as a move to Canada now means I'll be financially unable to start my piloting career.

With that, I applied to AerLingus' fully sponsored cadet programme 3 years after my first attempt, and on Saturday completed all of my online assessment tests and a video interview. I'm now waiting to see if I made it to the main set of assessments in Dublin. Should that fail (and it likely will, due to huge competition and only 12 places on the program), I have a detailed plan of how I'm going to get into an airliner cockpit on my own, starting with getting my private pilot's license over a short period of time here in the UK.

Once again thank you all for your advice, and should I get an invite for PR (likely to be the end of the year/sometime next year), I may still go for it depending on my situation then.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 2:03 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

London is too polluted, small, congested......

......I'm worried that once I get to Toronto I'm going to run out of money within months.....
But Toronto is way more congested dude. In fact the whole GTA is very congested.

Your assessment of it being extremely expensive is also correct.

Last edited by Edo; Jul 18th 2019 at 2:58 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!

Thanks a lot for your advice. I've decided to focus on my dream: becoming a pilot. I'm still in the Canada Express Entry pool with 438 points, but I've requested the withdrawal of my IEC, as a move to Canada now means I'll be financially unable to start my piloting career.

With that, I applied to AerLingus' fully sponsored cadet programme 3 years after my first attempt, and on Saturday completed all of my online assessment tests and a video interview. I'm now waiting to see if I made it to the main set of assessments in Dublin. Should that fail (and it likely will, due to huge competition and only 12 places on the program), I have a detailed plan of how I'm going to get into an airliner cockpit on my own, starting with getting my private pilot's license over a short period of time here in the UK.

Once again thank you all for your advice, and should I get an invite for PR (likely to be the end of the year/sometime next year), I may still go for it depending on my situation then.
Good on you. I hope, whatever doors open up, that it goes well and you are able to fulfill your dream.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 4:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
Good on you. I hope, whatever doors open up, that it goes well and you are able to fulfill your dream.
+1 The airport is right next to Oliver, BC, and it's pretty busy; you can hear them take off and land, but when this plane takes off, everyone in town knows what it is from the roar.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Sooyp is an unknown quantity at this point

If I was your age again I wouldn't limit myself to North America, theres plenty I wish I should have done in and around Europe.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

ph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!

Hi all!! It's always nice to come back here, read back over my threads and their nice responses and let everyone know how I'm getting on.

I started flying in the middle of August (to get my Private Pilot's License) here in London and have so far flown 16 hours (need around 50 to get the license) and completed 3 of the 9 exams. It has made me so happy, so much so that even my hair - which gradually became thin and scarce over the last year since I started my job due to stress and unhappiness - is returning to its original youthful state. :-)

Back in July I was so lost, trying to figure out what my secondary dream is, what I could do to make me happy until I retire but nothing would cut it. I knew that what I needed to do was fly. It's been my dream since I was a tiny toddler, and my parents moved my siblings and me to the UK so that we could do whatever makes us happy. It would be a huge injustice, after everything I've been through here, if I don't end up in an airliner cockpit.

The plan is to finish my PPL in May, quit my job around that time, spend the summer building my hours while studying for my ATPLs (commercial level exams), then go to Sweden for 2 months to do a bit more flying and attain my commercial license. I'll then apply for First Officer roles. I hope to be ready and employable by Summer 2021. None of this is cheap, but my parents will help me as much as humanly possible next year when I need it. At the end of the day I will do whatever it takes to make it happen, even if it involves sending letters to random philanthropists to ask for their support.

I'm still in the Canada Express Entry queue with 438 points. I'd love to be a pilot in the US or Canada, but one dream at a time. :-) My priority now is becoming qualified to have a full time career in aviation.

Thank you all so much for your wise words. It was seriously helpful and made me take a serious look at the UK-Canada move. It made me realise what's really important: my lifetime dream. I'll come back here in a few months for another update on my progress. Hopefully by then I'll be close to getting my license.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 4:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 26th 2019, 4:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!! It's always nice to come back here, read back over my threads and their nice responses and let everyone know how I'm getting on.

I started flying in the middle of August (to get my Private Pilot's License) here in London and have so far flown 16 hours (need around 50 to get the license) and completed 3 of the 9 exams. It has made me so happy, so much so that even my hair - which gradually became thin and scarce over the last year since I started my job due to stress and unhappiness - is returning to its original youthful state. :-)

Back in July I was so lost, trying to figure out what my secondary dream is, what I could do to make me happy until I retire but nothing would cut it. I knew that what I needed to do was fly. It's been my dream since I was a tiny toddler, and my parents moved my siblings and me to the UK so that we could do whatever makes us happy. It would be a huge injustice, after everything I've been through here, if I don't end up in an airliner cockpit.

The plan is to finish my PPL in May, quit my job around that time, spend the summer building my hours while studying for my ATPLs (commercial level exams), then go to Sweden for 2 months to do a bit more flying and attain my commercial license. I'll then apply for First Officer roles. I hope to be ready and employable by Summer 2021. None of this is cheap, but my parents will help me as much as humanly possible next year when I need it. At the end of the day I will do whatever it takes to make it happen, even if it involves sending letters to random philanthropists to ask for their support.

I'm still in the Canada Express Entry queue with 438 points. I'd love to be a pilot in the US or Canada, but one dream at a time. :-) My priority now is becoming qualified to have a full time career in aviation.

Thank you all so much for your wise words. It was seriously helpful and made me take a serious look at the UK-Canada move. It made me realise what's really important: my lifetime dream. I'll come back here in a few months for another update on my progress. Hopefully by then I'll be close to getting my license.
Ah, LOVE this update! Congrats.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 6:42 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Great update.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 1:58 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant!!! Very pleased to hear that life is turning out just how you hoped - long may it continue! Do update us from time to time, it's lovely to hear how you are getting on - thanks for popping back to let us know.

Good luck with the next stage!
Old Nov 27th 2019, 3:13 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, LOVE this update! Congrats.
What christmasoompa said :-)
Old Nov 27th 2019, 5:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Well done you. You should be proud.

Thanks for coming back to update everyone.

Congrats.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear. All the best for it.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Well done! I love it when people know what they want and get off their butts and make it happen. Looking forward to the next update.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.