Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

MA Degree Relevancy for Speech Therapy

MA Degree Relevancy for Speech Therapy

Old Dec 31st 2014, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

chuchip is an unknown quantity at this point
Question MA Degree Relevancy for Speech Therapy

Do any speech therapists or other knowledgeable people know if a Master's degree in Speech Therapy studied in the UK would meet the requirements to work in this profession in Canada? Or would I need to study the Canadian MA?
Old Dec 31st 2014, 2:00 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MA Degree Relevancy for Speech Therapy

You would need to ask these people

[URL="http://www.caslpo.com/applicants/apply-to-the-college/internationally-educated-applicants"[/URL]

DEGREE REQUIREMENTS:
If you are an internationally educated graduate, to become registered as an audiologist or a speech-language pathologist in Ontario, you must have a professional master’s degree in audiology or speech-language pathology or both, from a university program that is determined by a panel of the College’s Registration Committee to be equivalent to an accredited professional master’s degree program in audiology or speech-language pathology offered in Canada.

Last edited by bats; Dec 31st 2014 at 2:03 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

Hi
I can help out here! I am a UK trained SLT who only has an undergraduate degree in speech therapy. I managed to get equated to their courses by doing an extra semester in audiology to make up the 100 hours they wanted ( my undergraduate course only had 21 hours of audiology).
It was a bit of a palaver and many hoops to jump through but I went under the Masters or equivalent assumption. The proof was in the pudding as the BC College agreed that I did qualify and didn't need to sit the CASLPA certification exam to work here. I have been working here two years now in BC. I don't see my training any different to theirs.
Hope this helps! Please feel free to PM me if you have any further queries.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Jpisarek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jackandvictor
Hi
I can help out here! I am a UK trained SLT who only has an undergraduate degree in speech therapy. I managed to get equated to their courses by doing an extra semester in audiology to make up the 100 hours they wanted ( my undergraduate course only had 21 hours of audiology).
It was a bit of a palaver and many hoops to jump through but I went under the Masters or equivalent assumption. The proof was in the pudding as the BC College agreed that I did qualify and didn't need to sit the CASLPA certification exam to work here. I have been working here two years now in BC. I don't see my training any different to theirs.
Hope this helps! Please feel free to PM me if you have any further queries.
Hi, I was just wondering where you took your audiology course? I'm hoping to come to BC soon.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future
Smile Re: MA Degree Relevancy for Speech Therapy

Hi Jpisarek!
It was at Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh, a module of the first year audiology degree. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 18th 2015, 2:38 am
Just Joined

Jpisarek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jackandvictor
Hi Jpisarek!
It was at Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh, a module of the first year audiology degree. Hope this helps!
Thank you!
Old Feb 25th 2015, 5:47 am
Just Joined

Cedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Jpisarek,

I am also a UK trained SLP and last year went through the process of getting registration here. I found each province has slightly different requirements and SAC-OAC (formerly CASLPA) has its own requirements for certification also. If you know it's BC that you want to come to then have a look on the CSHHPBC website to get the run down of their requirements and you can compare your own course content to what you need to achieve equivalency. In my case the committee reviewed my application and granted registration but I had conditional registration until I passed the SAC exam and 2 years to do so. This just meant that in the meantime I couldn't take up private practice and that I would have to have a supervisor who was a fully active registrant of the college. In my case my linemanager would suffice. In the event I passed the exam whilst still in the UK so I began with my license fully active with no conditions. I can't comment on whether there's much difference in training compared to my Canadian trained peers as nothing has come up but I am still adjusting to what feels like a big divide between North America and the UK in terms of resources, assessments, the big names in the field etc. Many of my 'go to' resources have had to change (apart from those I can import!) which has been good and bad. I love working here though. I've been very fortunate in how things have played out.