Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Lying Employers

Wikiposts

Lying Employers

Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lying Employers

Might be a good idea to think of what you're learned from such a bad experience - get everything in writing next time. And this has certainly motivated you to look for something with more money and better working conditions. Just keep believing that you're worth so much better and don't settle for less.
Best of luck.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:48 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
Might be a good idea to think of what you're learned from such a bad experience - get everything in writing next time. And this has certainly motivated you to look for something with more money and better working conditions. Just keep believing that you're worth so much better and don't settle for less.
Best of luck.
This might sound naive but Do Canadian employers put it all in writing? The other thing is that with the Canadian employment laws, if you don't agree to the blasted hours etc., they can just dump you anyhow. Very best of luck Piff Poff, I hope things get sorted out!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

TanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
Best of luck.
I have learnt to my cost to get everything in writing and get it all signed.
I accepted a promotion with my company to move to Leduc to run the office here. Main reason for accepting the position was I was told if I decided I didn't like it, I could transfer back to Calgary. At no point was a time limit given on when I could decide to move back, so I thought I will give it a year and re-evaluate.
Well, in my now 9 months up here, I have requested to be transferred back twice and both time been told "sorry nothing in Calgary for you". My last transfer request had my notice built in and I should've left 4 weeks ago BUT I'm still here!!!! There was a management change and there is a hope that I might eventually be able to transfer back to Calgary. Unfortunately it seems to be a "how long is a piece of string" question as to when that will happen.
So now I am paying for a place in Airdrie to live as I got of my lease here (well I was leaving!), I am living in hotels and at the moment I am responsible for paying for them (although rumour has it, I may get reimbursed) and to top it all off I am away from my boyfriend. Not sure how much longer I can stand this working away thing. The money is good, but as I am paying for accommodation and having to eat out twice a day, any monetary gain is gone to extra living expenses. ARGH!!!
Sorry to hijack your thread with my rant Piff Poff. Just know you are not alone with the lying employers.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
This might sound naive but Do Canadian employers put it all in writing? The other thing is that with the Canadian employment laws, if you don't agree to the blasted hours etc., they can just dump you anyhow. Very best of luck Piff Poff, I hope things get sorted out!
For lower paying jobs not typically, its generally all verbal. I have never gotten anything in writing form any employer.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:32 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell the that they have reneged on everything that was agreed in the interview, and then walk out.

A woman of your calibre will get a job really quickly.

Good luck PP
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:58 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't you get a job at the local college in an administrative position or something?
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

If I knew what we know now? Would think really seriously about coming out! But then no-body would take any chances in life if that was the case

If I was reading this post and considering a job offer in Canada I would think really seriously about it and get everything in writing and a repatriation figure if they go back on their word! But then I guess no-one would hire me.

Same thing happened to good friends of ours with his job offer and she was 8 months pregnant when they told him they had run out of money and could not pay him!

My business is really suffering with the recession and I have thought of going to work and closing the business but the thought of working for someone in Canada terrifies me so I plod along accepting life as it is here for the time being!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:14 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to hear that Piff.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Said it before and I'll say it again : "Canadian employers are masters at moving the goal posts "

That goes for AINP and CIC as well .

A lot of the time some good comes out of these situations , Hope it does for you
Old Apr 25th 2013, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

paulman214 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're willing to just pack it in, why don't you consider bringing it up with your boss instead? Don't mention quitting, just enquire about the things that were agreed beforehand.. You never know!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 1:55 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Sheesh, that's not good.

employment practices here are shite. I know someone whose job is currently being advertised, she hasn't resigned and isn't planning on doing so.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:10 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Couldn't you get a job at the local college in an administrative position or something?
I don't know anyone that works there
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:17 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Tell the that they have reneged on everything that was agreed in the interview, and then walk out.

A woman of your calibre will get a job really quickly.

Good luck PP
Thanks

Originally Posted by paulman214
If you're willing to just pack it in, why don't you consider bringing it up with your boss instead? Don't mention quitting, just enquire about the things that were agreed beforehand.. You never know!
The owner interviewed and hired me, also told me hours, what would be expected etc two days into it, she's changed her mind on almost everything, the manager is trying to fix it as she needs staff, she was promised two new ones and it looks like, if I stay she gets half of a person. The manager is talking about quitting too as she is fed up with the owner in more ways than one.

Originally Posted by bats
Sheesh, that's not good.

employment practices here are shite. I know someone whose job is currently being advertised, she hasn't resigned and isn't planning on doing so.
I know someone who is being trained for a position that isn't even open, the girl holding the position was really upset.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:18 pm

Thank you all for your feedback and encouragement, it means tons xx
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:29 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Bit of a rant. Yesterday I started a new almost minimum wage job, im earning less than I was at Eddie Bauer, for the promise of more hours and job satisfaction. At interview we had agreed on how many late shifts I'd do, no saturdays and the fact I'd also be doing xyz. Well day two into the job, every second saturday, 3 - 4 late shifts and no more hours than before and only doing z. Oh and i was also told there would be comission, but nownits been changed to there might be comission.

Why do employers lie to get you into a job and then shit on you, I walked out of one job 6 years ago for much the same reason and my friend is having the same problems at her job, we are not talking big money jobs where you might go the extra mile because of the monetry benefits, we are talking 10 measly less than walmart pays bucks an hour.

The job hunt starts again next week seeing as I have so much time to spare...
Back home places like that soon experience arson.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.