Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Lying Employers

Wikiposts

Lying Employers

Old Apr 24th 2013, 1:18 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lying Employers

Bit of a rant. Yesterday I started a new almost minimum wage job, im earning less than I was at Eddie Bauer, for the promise of more hours and job satisfaction. At interview we had agreed on how many late shifts I'd do, no saturdays and the fact I'd also be doing xyz. Well day two into the job, every second saturday, 3 - 4 late shifts and no more hours than before and only doing z. Oh and i was also told there would be comission, but nownits been changed to there might be comission.

Why do employers lie to get you into a job and then shit on you, I walked out of one job 6 years ago for much the same reason and my friend is having the same problems at her job, we are not talking big money jobs where you might go the extra mile because of the monetry benefits, we are talking 10 measly less than walmart pays bucks an hour.

The job hunt starts again next week seeing as I have so much time to spare...
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lying Employers

I tend to think the lower paying the job, the crappier they treat you and less likely to be completely open and honest, your basically considered disposable, can be easily replaced so no reason or need to keep people happy.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:41 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I tend to think the lower paying the job, the crappier they treat you and less likely to be completely open and honest, your basically considered disposable, can be easily replaced so no reason or need to keep people happy.
But they are spending a fortune training me, it doesn't make sense
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:08 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Why do employers lie to get you into a job and then shit on you
Some employees do the same. It's not employers or employees, it is human nature, some people have different moral standards to others.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, the world is not so fair sometimes. Sorry to hear, hope things get better.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Piff Poff,
Sorry to hear that. Hope you find something better soon
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:11 am

It's just ridiculous, so far everything discussed at interview has turned out to be false on the employers part, I gave up a perfectly good job - even if I was bored to tears with it, to do something slightly more interesting and now it looks like that's not going to happen, really not sure what to do, whether to just turn round and say, look this isn't going to work (as I have done in the past) or stick it out for a bit until I find something, thing is there is lots to learn right off the bat - muscle groups/names/position on body, do I invest my time at home in doing this if the rewards at my work place are not going to be realised?

I'm going to pop along to some recruitment agencies on Monday and submit my resume at the hospital (as a lady has put my name forward to HR there). I hate job hunting and change, completely true to my star sign lol
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

If you'll get something out of it in the short term (qualifications, knowledge, experience etc...), it may be worth sticking with it until you have what you want, and then bring up the fact you're not happy.

If they then don't do anything about it, move on.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:36 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

lying employers cost us $35,000... so im well with you there!
we moved to vancouver with a written (and accepted by CIC) job offer stating a basic of $x a week. work or no. guess what... we got there (havng asked and asked and asked the ex-pat who had hired him) to find no basic. so we had budgeted on x a week and had 0. there was no work so no pay and you have to just sit there and wait... pretty soon it became clear we didnt have the cash to sustain us with no wages at all coming in to the home, especially since given our rather good budget we had rented a $1500 pcm in maple ridge (i still dream about that house!) we had to go back to uk and borrow from family and live in a derelict house for a month with the rats ( im literally not kidding, mums house had been empty for nearly 6 months and she could easily scare the people on the show hoarders!)

its all better now of course because we sold our house and used the last of our equity to get back out here, but my hubby was away for 4 months and ill never forgive the employer for that. he missed 4 crucial months of our kids growing up ( especially the 18m old, the others dont change much in 4 months) i had to cope on my own with a very difficult autistic 12yo who had all kinds of resentments regarding canada. still now dealing with the fall out ( tax return asked why did you only live there for 8w...rendering none of it deductible Grrrr) it messed with our boys mid and he was balanced on medication and is still not evening out now so it may well cause issues with our PR.

we could have complained to the CIC about the employer lying on the job offer, but tat the end of the day canada being an old boys network that would have made hubby out to be a prima donna and we never would have got back here. and it wouldnt change anything so we had to let it go. i still have a bit of resentment regarding that employer tho!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of a rant. Yesterday I started a new almost minimum wage job, im earning less than I was at Eddie Bauer, for the promise of more hours and job satisfaction. At interview we had agreed on how many late shifts I'd do, no saturdays and the fact I'd also be doing xyz. Well day two into the job, every second saturday, 3 - 4 late shifts and no more hours than before and only doing z. Oh and i was also told there would be comission, but nownits been changed to there might be comission.

Why do employers lie to get you into a job and then shit on you, I walked out of one job 6 years ago for much the same reason and my friend is having the same problems at her job, we are not talking big money jobs where you might go the extra mile because of the monetry benefits, we are talking 10 measly less than walmart pays bucks an hour.

The job hunt starts again next week seeing as I have so much time to spare...
Unfortunately because they can Hope you find a new job quickly they are not worth it!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:06 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It's just ridiculous, so far everything discussed at interview has turned out to be false on the employers part, I gave up a perfectly good job - even if I was bored to tears with it, to do something slightly more interesting and now it looks like that's not going to happen, really not sure what to do, whether to just turn round and say, look this isn't going to work (as I have done in the past) or stick it out for a bit until I find something, thing is there is lots to learn right off the bat - muscle groups/names/position on body, do I invest my time at home in doing this if the rewards at my work place are not going to be realised?

I'm going to pop along to some recruitment agencies on Monday and submit my resume at the hospital (as a lady has put my name forward to HR there). I hate job hunting and change, completely true to my star sign lol
This is not all about you. What are we now going to do for the discount codes? I need a couple of pairs of shorts and a new belt for the summer season.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Oink
This is not all about you. What are we now going to do for the discount codes? I need a couple of pairs of shorts and a new belt for the summer season.
There is something going on 1st weekend in May, not sure what thought - there will be discounts
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by scribe123
If you'll get something out of it in the short term (qualifications, knowledge, experience etc...), it may be worth sticking with it until you have what you want, and then bring up the fact you're not happy.

If they then don't do anything about it, move on.
Thats the thing, I was told I would be brought up to speed so fast my feet wouldn't hit the ground and I was going to be enrolled onto a course straight away etc. Yesterday I was told, no I wouldn't be learning that, I wasn't going to be enrolled on the course for a few months and I would have to get my CPR qualification and they would re-imburse 50% of the cost and my hours were going to be the really shitty ones 4-730pm and no more then 18-20. I knew nothing about the CPR qualification - wasn't even mentioned, not a glimmer and my hours were going to be reasonable 18 one week 25 the next until I was qualified then full time. Urgh now I'm pissed off again just thinking about it
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Unfortunately because they can Hope you find a new job quickly they are not worth it!
Thanks for that
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by __TJ__
lying employers cost us $35,000... so im well with you there!
we moved to vancouver with a written (and accepted by CIC) job offer stating a basic of $x a week. work or no. guess what... we got there (havng asked and asked and asked the ex-pat who had hired him) to find no basic. so we had budgeted on x a week and had 0. there was no work so no pay and you have to just sit there and wait... pretty soon it became clear we didnt have the cash to sustain us with no wages at all coming in to the home, especially since given our rather good budget we had rented a $1500 pcm in maple ridge (i still dream about that house!) we had to go back to uk and borrow from family and live in a derelict house for a month with the rats ( im literally not kidding, mums house had been empty for nearly 6 months and she could easily scare the people on the show hoarders!)

its all better now of course because we sold our house and used the last of our equity to get back out here, but my hubby was away for 4 months and ill never forgive the employer for that. he missed 4 crucial months of our kids growing up ( especially the 18m old, the others dont change much in 4 months) i had to cope on my own with a very difficult autistic 12yo who had all kinds of resentments regarding canada. still now dealing with the fall out ( tax return asked why did you only live there for 8w...rendering none of it deductible Grrrr) it messed with our boys mid and he was balanced on medication and is still not evening out now so it may well cause issues with our PR.

we could have complained to the CIC about the employer lying on the job offer, but tat the end of the day canada being an old boys network that would have made hubby out to be a prima donna and we never would have got back here. and it wouldnt change anything so we had to let it go. i still have a bit of resentment regarding that employer tho!
I do remember your story

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.